Louisville schools against Spring Football - They want to take it away from everyone

UK#1fanisback

Also, the gap between the haves and have nots will widen.

I respect the heck out of you ChiefSmoke as typically the voice of reason (not to be confused with our other Voice of Reason), but come on, but you can't really think the "have nots" are the ones benefiting from organized spring practice.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More contact in the name of safety - that is an interesting argument.

I would argue that working on tackling technique without pads would garner more results in terms of safety. Kids aren't going to use their heads when they aren't protected, learn how to form tackle.

I would argue that working on tackling technique without pads would garner more results in terms of safety. Kids aren't going to use their heads when they aren't protected, learn how to form tackle.

I thought we were talking about 10 practices with full contact in the spring. Not helmets and shoulder pads working on technique. I really shouldn't have waded into this thread, because my passion for debating spring football is only so so. :jump:

I respect the heck out of you ChiefSmoke as typically the voice of reason (not to be confused with our other Voice of Reason), but come on, but you can't really think the "have nots" are the ones benefiting from organized spring practice.

I saw first hand how it was a big part of changing Mason County football for the better. Our kids were way behind. Those practices helped our guys make up ground.... and a bunch of it.

I agree there is a place for that and we do a bunch of it in January and February.

We are going to continue taking away opportunities to prepare kids to the point they will be less safe on Friday nights.

I agree there is a place for that and we do a bunch of it in January and February.

We are going to continue taking away opportunities to prepare kids to the point they will be less safe on Friday nights.

If 10 days in the spring is the excuse for lack of success or player safety, there are much bigger issues those programs need to address before they worry about spring football. JMO.

Properly-taught contact in the name of safety is what is being discussed. The main advantage that I think Spring Football has is it allows time to work on basic techniques without having to worry about an opponent or game plan.

If 10 days in the spring is the excuse for lack of success or player safety, there are much bigger issues those programs need to address before they worry about spring football. JMO.

You must have 5 days full gear before you can scrimmage. 10 days in pads, without having to prepare for a game are a big piece of the puzzle. Not the only piece, not an excuse, but significant.

This is more about fighting the 'War on Football' that seems to be happening more than anything. I think that's the reason arguments are being made for spring football. I get it and totally support the fight for it.

Do I think 10 days of practice in March or April have remotely anything that correlates over to the success or lack of from late August-December? Absolutely not.

Do I think that 10 days of work is beneficial for the coaching staffs to see who might be able to step up and fill holes by graduation? Absolutely.

Do I think it's a great period for if you are changing schemes and/or looking to tweak some things? Absolutely.

Is it a great time when a new hired has been made? Without a doubt.

I don't think there is a single argument that could be made against it, but I also think that it's benefits aren't a one size fits all, either. Leave it up to each school, but please don't let a group of 7-8 Jefferson County programs (or any schools) make the decision for all.

I've read several arguments against it in terms of not messing up the flow of off season programs and I don't really understand that either. You can go through Spring Football and not jeopardize the work going on there.

If you spread it out over three weeks; then lift on the days that you aren't practicing. It's not a popular thing to say, but you can make gains by just lifting twice a week (large gains at that); even once a week.

Maybe you want to knock out spring practice in two consecutive weeks? That's perfectly fine as well - adjust your offseason schedule to where that first week of practice sets up with a deload week followed by a Max week. I don't know of anybody running strength programs worth their salt that don't have "deload" (active rest weeks more or less) weeks worked into their programs every 4th to 7th week. Max weeks are often suggested (studies shown) to be followed up by that Deload week.

Pretty remarkable that a "Gang of 8" AD's from one city feel they speak for all football playing schools of all classifications across the state... The positive here is the process & AD's were outed.

I don't think they feel they are speaking for all football playing schools. They saw something they felt strongly about and made a proposal. At this point, that is what it is- a proposal. KHSAA doesn't have a say in whether this gets passed or not, only the member schools. If the member schools feel differently than the 8 schools in Louisville, then this is all moot.

My suggestion is football coaches work with their administration and talk to them. The AD's may have made a mistake by blind-siding the coaches with the proposal, but the coaches shouldn't make the same mistake by not talking to their AD's.

What shocks me is Trinity is one of the schools. With over 100 kids you think they would want every opportunity to get all the kids reps.

I have been asking myself the exact same thing since this news broke.

I guess the answer has to be that Trinity believes their football program will benefit more from an expanded 7 on 7 schedule in June than it will from Spring Football practice.

On tangent, I wonder who (which schools) led this charge to run an end around the entire state?

Considering Trinity had coaches on the listserv appeared pretty upset this was suggested. They appeared to be blindsided.

For those that don’t think spring football is a big deal I have to assume you are not coaches. If you were coaches then you would understand it’s importance. College coaches come to spring practice. New players try football in spring practice. Transfers play in spring football. Coaches test and introduce new ideas/concepts. Depth is created in spring practice. The list goes on and on.

Myself and our staff may be on the outside of this argument when compared to other coaches in the state, but spring football is not the most important thing to us. The past two years we have held our 10 days in shells or helmets only to avoid injury, had less than 22 players due to spring sports participation and interrupted our successful strength and agility program enough that attendance drops significantly after completion of spring ball. (We are a rural 3a school for context)

I would venture to say all of our staff would support the proposal to nix spring ball with the addition of 7on7 scrimmage capabilities in June. I believe it would help with our attendance in June.

Coincidentally, the part that is concerning to us is the concession to basketball. If basketball was allowed to compete in scrimmages in July, despite football in full swing with mandatory practice, we feel that athletes may choose to go to basketball over football during this period. Quite frankly, this scares me more than losing 10 practices in April.

Knowing Chief Smoke like I do I know he is not meaning just all out knocking heads off. That kind of football has slowly changed over the last 20 years. I think our team is pretty physical but we don't just go out and kill each other in practice. Again - I am amazed at (not necessarily you Oldbird) how people think football works. If it is coached properly it is a process of development. Without that development in pads for protection it is much more risky. So most of the time we use arm pads, bags etc even when we are full pads. I don't think any coach likes to risk losing players in practice due to all out 'hamburger' type of drills. As many have stated coaches are at an all time high in understanding safety and how to safely develop kids without beating them up year around. If we did that we would not have a team come August. We do a ton of developmental drills leading up to hitting and we protect our weakest, youngest least experienced kids the most. I want them to keep playing not quit because I allowed a more experienced stronger kid to knock the dog out of them daily. If you have a coach like that you are in trouble as a program in my opinion.