Louisville schools against Spring Football - They want to take it away from everyone

UK#1fanisback

I tend to completely disagree. The reason for my disagreement is, that philosophy has been utilized for years and proven to not produce results. When injury became the utmost concern and coaches started having less contact and "pop" contact without taking players to the ground, tackling technique quickly declined, form tackling was lost and tackling position suffered. Couple that with the fact that coaches don't have a enough time to stress proper body positioning and tackling technique during the season and I think many of the fundamentals suffer.

Now, in the spring, coaches, and players, don't have a opposing team to prepare for and can focus on things that can be re-enforced during off-season, non contact, meetings.

I don't know where it was "proven," but you absolutely can practice tackling techniques, while taking people to the ground (use dummies on the ground to prevent injury) without full contact and it be beneficial.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Highlands, during the Mueller era, claimed one huge reason for their success was the amount of work they were able to accomplish in Spring Practice. Some even claimed they were able to name most of their starters in the spring and were able to start the fall practice off with everyone in the positions they decided in the spring, saving weeks and allowing them to be way ahead of opposition.

Good for Highlands. I stand by my original statement.

I don't know where it was "proven," but you absolutely can practice tackling techniques, while taking people to the ground (use dummies on the ground to prevent injury) without full contact and it be beneficial.

It has been proven in the quality of tackling. And, if you think practicing tackling with stationary dummies is the same as practicing tackling at full speed with actual players then I will refrain from attempting to convince you.

It has been proven in the quality of tackling. And, if you think practicing tackling with stationary dummies is the same as practicing tackling at full speed with actual players then I will refrain from attempting to convince you.

Again, proven where? By who? What you're stating is an opinion.

I referenced the dummies for padding on the ground because of no pads, not to tackle them. That seemed pretty obvious to me.

I referenced the dummies for padding on the ground because of no pads, not to tackle them. That seemed pretty obvious to me.

Yes, and what I'm saying is pretty obvious to coaches. But, again, I don't think trying to convince you will be fruitful after your "dummy" explanation.

Yes, and what I'm saying is pretty obvious to coaches. But, again, I don't think trying to convince you will be fruitful after your "dummy" explanation.

What coaches? You are trying to pass your opinion as fact. I too know coaches and they agree tackling can be taught/practiced without having to be in full gear.

As for the dummies... Are you purposely being obtuse or do you really not understand what I was describing?

Clear this up for me. You aren't talking about full speed with no pads; are you? I will take it that your answer is no. In that case tell me how you can simulate game (full) speed tackling without actually going full speed? You go full speed, pads required. JMO

Lose Spring Ball, gain nothing further in June or July. Yep, sounds like a pro basketball move to me. HS programs get the same out of 10 spr pra days as colleges do out of spr pra and the extra bowl pras. MO of course. More reps of anything isnt bad! Basketball has been doing it in KY for years!

What coaches? You are trying to pass your opinion as fact. I too know coaches and they agree tackling can be taught/practiced without having to be in full gear.

As for the dummies... Are you purposely being obtuse or do you really not understand what I was describing?

Knowing coaches, and coaching are two different things. I stand by what I have said, you have said you stand by what you said. That's where the end appears to come.

I understand completely what you are saying about the dummies, but we will differ on opinion there as well.

Clear this up for me. You aren't talking about full speed with no pads; are you? I will take it that your answer is no. In that case tell me how you can simulate game (full) speed tackling without actually going full speed? You go full speed, pads required. JMO

If you can't tackle without pads while going full speed, someone will need to explain to me how rugby guys are so good at it...

Knowing coaches, and coaching are two different things. I stand by what I have said, you have said you stand by what you said. That's where the end appears to come.

I understand completely what you are saying about the dummies, but we will differ on opinion there as well.

I'll offer you the same example of rugby. How are they so good at tackling without pads?

For those that think Spring Football doesn't carry over, or add, to the game in the fall: Why do colleges have Spring Practice?

I don't think it adds much value there either. Can you learn some things about your team? Absolutely. But I don't think the quality of football declines if you don't have spring ball.