Louisville schools against Spring Football - They want to take it away from everyone

UK#1fanisback

You can get a good deal of tackling taught without pads. If you need help with that contact Bill Williams and the FCPGA.

Rugby tackling is just as physical, violent and effective as what we all were taught. Main differences are no longer teaching “head across the bow”. Also rugby players have to immediately let go of the ball carrier as soon as he is stop. A rugby player has to pop up fast off the ground.

Tackling in the NFL is a business decision. In college players are being forced to tackle more and more in space than ever before.

Football is a sport where innovation typically starts at the HS level and trickles up. There isn’t much in the game that started first in college or the pros. A more accurate description is colleges and pros are using adapted HS offenses and defenses.

Spring practice is important. We couldn’t do a ton of what we do without it

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never been a big fan of spring practice or 7 on 7 to be honest. I can see where it benefits a new head coach who wants to install their O and D.

Personally, I prefer to have several contact camps built throughout the summer instead. We do one 2 day camp local, one 1 day camp for freshman and jv, and a 3 day camp at West Georgia where we get about 10 one hour contact scrimmages.

I tend to completely disagree. The reason for my disagreement is, that philosophy has been utilized for years and proven to not produce results. When injury became the utmost concern and coaches started having less contact and "pop" contact without taking players to the ground, tackling technique quickly declined, form tackling was lost and tackling position suffered. Couple that with the fact that coaches don't have a enough time to stress proper body positioning and tackling technique during the season and I think many of the fundamentals suffer.

Now, in the spring, coaches, and players, don't have a opposing team to prepare for and can focus on things that can be re-enforced during off-season, non contact, meetings.

I would disagree, slightly. I think padded tackling reps, to the ground, are important in moderation. That said, with the head-out, gator, or Hawk tackling technique, you can actually rep full tackling without pads and get valuable reps.

Personally, I prefer to have several contact camps built throughout the summer instead. We do one 2 day camp local, one 1 day camp for freshman and jv, and a 3 day camp at West Georgia where we get about 10 one hour contact scrimmages.

Are you saying you would like that, or that you actually do that?

I've never been a big fan of spring practice or 7 on 7 to be honest. I can see where it benefits a new head coach who wants to install their O and D.

I like the contact camps as well. We go University of Central Florida for a team camp. 3 days 2 nights and the kids get a bunch of reps against 5 to 8 different teams.

I'm in favor of spring practice personally, because it breaks up the off season. It's hard for coaches and players to lift weights and run from mid January until mid July. At least spring practice allows for the kids and coaches to work on actual football.

Are you saying you would like that, or that you actually do that?

We do both actually. I’d prefer we drop spring football although the state started to allow us to scrimmage another team at the end of it so it’s not as bad as an intra squad scrimmage.

I like the contact camps as well. We go University of Central Florida for a team camp. 3 days 2 nights and the kids get a bunch of reps against 5 to 8 different teams.

I'm in favor of spring practice personally, because it breaks up the off season. It's hard for coaches and players to lift weights and run from mid January until mid July. At least spring practice allows for the kids and coaches to work on actual football.

We actually have a weight training class that has all of our current sophomores and juniors in so they are getting their lifting in. Love that. Every other week we have a guest speaker come in and talk to them.

• 2 months later...