Louisville schools against Spring Football - They want to take it away from everyone

UK#1fanisback

I'm asking how/why tackling there is different than American Football. You're saying you can't apply some of the same methods? Why?

Well, I guess we will.

To start with we will delve into some coach speak, I realize you "know coaches" and you have probably heard the old saying, "You play the way you practice". Ruby players are taught to tackle without pads, so they play, and tackle, without pads. The body mechanics are the same in both instances.

For anyone who reads this, and played football, they know getting into an athletic stance and applying kinetic energy with out pads is done without thought, but many probably have noticed once they put their pads on for the first time, and a period of time after, they were yelled out by coaches for not being in proper athletic position. Why? Because they application of pads has to be adapted to by the body and the normal muscle memory is wrong and must be altered to accommodate pads. This is learned quickly by someone in a position like, long snapper, getting down and snapping without pads is automatic because it done so ofter, but after putting pads on the legs, butt, and shoulders are restricted and that restriction has to be overcome and the action of snapping has to basically be relearned.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it adds much value there either. Can you learn some things about your team? Absolutely. But I don't think the quality of football declines if you don't have spring ball.

So, all the D1 coaches are wasting their time with spring practice and they are either alright with that, or they just don't understand that Spring Football is a waste. Got it.

Well, I guess we will.

To start with we will delve into some coach speak, I realize you "know coaches" and you have probably heard the old saying, "You play the way you practice". Ruby players are taught to tackle without pads, so they play, and tackle, without pads. The body mechanics are the same in both instances.

For anyone who reads this, and played football, they know getting into an athletic stance and applying kinetic energy what pads is done without thought, but many probably have noticed once they put their pads on for the first time, and a period of time after, they were yelled out by coaching for don't being in proper athletic position. Why? Because they application of pads has to be adapted to by the body and the normal muscle memory is wrong and must be altered to accommodate pads. This is learned quickly by someone in a position like, long snapper, getting down and snapping without pads is automatic because it done so ofter, but after putting pads on the legs, butt, and shoulders are restricted and that restriction has to be overcome and the action of snapping has to basically be relearned.

I appreciate your condescending tone. I'm sure the expertise you've gained from coaching certainly trumps my knowledge from playing.

Your examples of having to accommodate wearing pads may make sense if we're talking about kids who have never played football or worn pads. I agree with you there, they should get used to doing it in full gear before they would learn the discipline to use correct form out of pads. For anyone who has played for any length of time, it is not hard to execute your mechanics when you're not in full pads. It's second nature, you don't think about it.

So, all the D1 coaches are wasting their time with spring practice and they are either alright with that, or they just don't understand that Spring Football is a waste. Got it.

Literally didn't say any of that, but continue with the snarky attitude because our opinions are different. :lol2: :lol2:

Literally didn't say any of that, but continue with the snarky attitude because our opinions are different. :lol2: :lol2:

It's not snarky, I haven't learned to apply any emotion, good or bad, in the typewritten arena. But.......

You know as well as I do that D1 coaches analyze everything: the numbers of reps to master a feat, film study, work out type and duration and basically everything else they do. Why would anyone think they have not put a great deal of thought and analysis into what to do, when to do it, and if to do it when it comes to Spring Practice?

College offenses are now used in high school. College defenses are now used in high school. Weight programs, off season workouts, film study and coaching are now utilized in high school. Colleges have Spring Practice. Why is all the other things utilized by high school coaches that came from the college level is good for the game, but Spring Practice is not?

If someone wants high school football to be better and to excel, they would not argue about adding another layer of preparation. If someone wants to minimized football and have it overshadowed by something else, then doing away with Spring Football would be a great idea.

It's not snarky, I haven't learned to apply any emotion, good or bad, in the typewritten arena. But.......

You know as well as I do that D1 coaches analyze everything: the numbers of reps to master a feat, film study, work out type and duration and basically everything else they do. Why would anyone think they have not put a great deal of thought and analysis into what to do, when to do it, and if to do it when it comes to Spring Practice?

College offenses are now used in high school. College defenses are now used in high school. Weight programs, off season workouts, film study and coaching are now utilized in high school. Colleges have Spring Practice. Why is all the other things utilized by high school coaches that came from the college level is good for the game, but Spring Practice is not?

If someone wants high school football be better and to excel, they would not argue about adding another layer of preparation. If someone wants to minimized football and have it overshadowed by something else, then doing away with Spring Football would be a great idea.

Well first of all, I haven't said I think spring football is bad for the game. Coaches on any and every level should be able to prepare however they want, within the rules of course. I don't think spring ball should be taken away, I just don't personally believe it makes you leaps and bounds better, as a whole, in the fall. Year-round training, weight lifting and conditioning is more important than 10 days of hitting in the spring, IMO.

Well first of all, I haven't said I think spring football is bad for the game. Coaches on any and every level should be able to prepare however they want, within the rules of course. I don't think spring ball should be taken away, I just don't personally believe it makes you leaps and bounds better, as a whole, in the fall. Year-round training, weight lifting and conditioning is more important than 10 days of hitting in the spring, IMO.

We will have to still disagree on the matter of it making players and teams better.

But, with the assault on the sport and fear of injury, I can not for the life of me understand why football people, or the KHSAA, would not want a period of time to focus on proper and safe mechanics to possible lesson the chance of injury during the season.

Last spring we had 31 division 1 schools watch one of our practices. In one practice, we had UK, IU, Oklahoma, Pitt, Duke, Vanderbilt and Indiana State standing on our sidelines. I brought the team together in a big circle and just had them enjoy the moment and point out what a great experience the next hour and half would be. It was surreal, to say the least.

You have no idea how important these experiences are to a school like Waggener, who is fighting tooth and nail to make it to the top. We added 8 students through in building recruiting last spring, young men who joined the team for the first time.

Despite all of this MY AD, is one who consigned this proposal, despite me having the complete support of our track coach and baseball coach. You can't tell me there are ulterior motives of some sort!

- Coach Johnson

Waggener HS

If you can't tackle without pads while going full speed, someone will need to explain to me how rugby guys are so good at it...

If you've watched a lot of college or pro ball lately, you've undoubtedly seen how bad tackling has gotten. Maybe they need to work with some rugby guys. Form tackling seems to have become a thing of the past.

One difference between "gridiron" football and rugby football is that in rugby it makes virtually no difference whether the ballcarrier gains any yardage during the tackle. There are no first downs. Only at the goal line would this matter and even then the ballcarrier must place the ball down for a try (touchdown) to be awarded----crossing the plane is not enough. Consequently, the tackler can wrap up the legs and let the runner's own momentum bring him to the ground. There is no need for a violent collision to stop the runner in his place.