Students Educated in Active Shooting in Schools?

Beechwoodfan

Fill your backpack with as many textbooks as possible and put in on backward over your chest. I've seen videos where three books can be enough to stop an AR round from a close distance.

Not a bad idea, but if most schools are like the ones my kids go to, they stopped having textbooks many years ago. It's all computerized these days.

One of my college kids was given this training during orientation. She mentioned the throw the books thing; they also said something like you have better chance if a group rushes the shooter versus ducking for cover (assuming you’re near line of fire) - not sure how one musters the courage for that.... which I guess is the purpose for the training.

What this also means is every potential future shooter knows the plan of defense.

Also as a school district, you never share your Evacuation Plans and Intricacies of the plans with the general public or shouldn't. In reality though, if someone wanted to find out it would not be difficult to get.

There is information on where you will transport students if you evacuate for some reason. If there were numerous persons involved or the shooter gets away like the one Friday. They could wait at the site where a district moves their pick up point for kids and cause havoc there. That is why a district will have multiple sites to move kids to. It is not foolproof.

Schools, as much as you plan, are pretty easy targets, at least in the initial minutes.

One of my college kids was given this training during orientation. She mentioned the throw the books thing; they also said something like you have better chance if a group rushes the shooter versus ducking for cover (assuming you’re near line of fire) - not sure how one musters the courage for that.... which I guess is the purpose for the training.

One of my college professor discussed this with us the first day of class. He told us that if we started throwing things, he would rush the shooter but hoped that a few of us would follow him once he got the shooter down.

It’s a sad state of affairs when as a teacher it’s necessary to talk to kids about what I want them to do if something like that ever happened.

I had one of my kiddos ask me if they’d be allowed to jump out the window if there was a shooter. I told him that I was dead serious, do what you need to do to get away from danger. Definitely sobered up what was otherwise a massively rambunctious group of 7th graders.

Distance is your friend. I believe standard police training for handgun is only at a range of 22 ft. LEO folks can verify that. Beyond that range hits, especially fatal hits on a moving target, gets very difficult. Movies and popular culture way over state the accuracy of longer range handgun shots.

Given this - Run first seems very appropriate instruction.

I have to admit, I feel like my students and I are sitting ducks in my classroom. When we have lockdown drills, we turn off all of the lights, move to a corner of the room farthest from the small window (which gets covered up with paper) and stay quiet. I'm checking into the Barracuda door decide that JD mentioned. If I can get that, I will feel significantly better.