• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Back Squat: 450

Front Squat: 350

Clean and Jerk: 250

Snatch: 185

Not necessarily fitness related, but considering how much time I dedicate to it in the gym I want to average 325 off the tee this summer. I sat at around 310 all of last year.

Where are you today on those lifts?

Where are you today on those lifts?

Backsquat 350

Front squat 265

C&J 185

Snatch 135

I have no idea if those are reachable goals or not. I just started a new program about a month ago where I am training these lifts 3-4 times a week and have made a lot of progress since but I’m sure a plateau is coming here soon. Previously I would only squat about 1-2 times a week and would work in a couple times a week with some Olympic lifters at my gym. I decided I was going to seriously dedicate myself to lifting when my sister and brother in law started doing Olympic lifts at their CrossFit gym in DC. I was not about to let my sister who doesn’t have an athletic bone in her body become better than me at these lifts.

Back Squat: 450

Front Squat: 350

Clean and Jerk: 250

Snatch: 185

Not necessarily fitness related, but considering how much time I dedicate to it in the gym I want to average 325 off the tee this summer. I sat at around 310 all of last year.

Hurts my knees just reading that... I still do back squats, leg press and light dead lifts but I can't make myself do clean and jerks and snatches. Good for you.

Backsquat 350

Front squat 265

C&J 185

Snatch 135

I have no idea if those are reachable goals or not. I just started a new program about a month ago where I am training these lifts 3-4 times a week and have made a lot of progress since but I’m sure a plateau is coming here soon. Previously I would only squat about 1-2 times a week and would work in a couple times a week with some Olympic lifters at my gym. I decided I was going to seriously dedicate myself to lifting when my sister and brother in law started doing Olympic lifts at their CrossFit gym in DC. I was not about to let my sister who doesn’t have an athletic bone in her body become better than me at these lifts.

Reachable? Yes, absolutely! In that time frame? Well that depends.

If these are numbers that you've previously been able to achieve (particularly in the strength based lift) then that makes it more likely. Age and previous training experience play a large roll in all this. You're already very strong. 100lbs on the squat is a lot in 1 years time when you already have a good base of strength. That being said...who am I to tell you what is and what isn't achievable? Get under the bar, train hard and smart and get it done.

On the Snatch and C&J those number are well within reach. You can hit those by summer. You're strong enough right now.

It's a terrible excuse, but if I had someone to train with I could easily see myself seriously lifting 3-4 times a week. As of now, I go in and do a little cardio, then lift a little. Nothing goal oriented.

While not a trainer, have you ever tried any of the apps you can download that take you through workouts? People often struggle with routines and what exactly to do, switching up regiments, etc.

I have not tried any of these apps, fwiw.

While not a trainer, have you ever tried any of the apps you can download that take you through workouts? People often struggle with routines and what exactly to do, switching up regiments, etc.

I have not tried any of these apps, fwiw.

I haven't, and honestly I hadn't even thought of that.

Backsquat 350

Front squat 265

C&J 185

Snatch 135

I will echo what @JCVD said on the Olympic lifts. It seems you are strong enough now to hit the numbers you've laid out. My previous 1RM in the C&J was 215 (i couldn't do that today) with a back squat 1RM of 265 and front squat 1RM of 225. I would need to know what your jerk 1RM is currently but when I hit the 215 C&J my jerk 1RM was either 220 or 225. That said I would bet if you worked technique more that strength in those lifts you could likely come close or even hit those numbers today. The average person that has bad technique and does not work with a coach on those lifts is extremely limited by their poor technique. If you do not currently have a coach I would suggest finding one and getting some sessions in with them, Especially on the snatch.

As far as your BS and FS goals, it is doable but will be hard. Adding 100lbs to your squat in a year if you are starting at 135lbs is more than doable. Adding 100lbs when your are starting at 350 already will be challenging. Sounds like you are going about it the right way with the volume. You will need to eat a ton though, just keep that in mind. Also don't be scared of throwing in a deload week every 5-6 weeks.

It's a terrible excuse, but if I had someone to train with I could easily see myself seriously lifting 3-4 times a week. As of now, I go in and do a little cardio, then lift a little. Nothing goal oriented.

I enjoy your posts. Wished you lived in NKY, I would enjoy training with you; however, my guess is you are much stronger than an OLDbird. :D

I will echo what @JCVD said on the Olympic lifts. It seems you are strong enough now to hit the numbers you've laid out. My previous 1RM in the C&J was 215 (i couldn't do that today) with a back squat 1RM of 265 and front squat 1RM of 225. I would need to know what your jerk 1RM is currently but when I hit the 215 C&J my jerk 1RM was either 220 or 225. That said I would bet if you worked technique more that strength in those lifts you could likely come close or even hit those numbers today. The average person that has bad technique and does not work with a coach on those lifts is extremely limited by their poor technique. If you do not currently have a coach I would suggest finding one and getting some sessions in with them, Especially on the snatch.

As far as your BS and FS goals, it is doable but will be hard. Adding 100lbs to your squat in a year if you are starting at 135lbs is more than doable. Adding 100lbs when your are starting at 350 already will be challenging. Sounds like you are going about it the right way with the volume. You will need to eat a ton though, just keep that in mind. Also don't be scared of throwing in a deload week every 5-6 weeks.

My backsquat 1 RM is 300, my deadlift 1 RM is 375, and my bench is 225. I should know my clean and jerk, but I don't. Snatches, overhead squats, even front squats are all very limited by poor shoulder mobility - partially do never working on it, but probably my age impacts it as well. I would be happy for small gains in these three lifts. How to define small - not sure - maybe 50 pounds on backsquat and deadlift. Maybe 25 pounds on bench.

My backsquat 1 RM is 300, my deadlift 1 RM is 375, and my bench is 225. I should know my clean and jerk, but I don't. Snatches, overhead squats, even front squats are all very limited by poor shoulder mobility - partially do never working on it, but probably my age impacts it as well. I would be happy for small gains in these three lifts. How to define small - not sure - maybe 50 pounds on backsquat and deadlift. Maybe 25 pounds on bench.
I will never have a high snatch because I can't overhead squat so I can't catch a snatch in the bottom position. Shoulder, hip, back, ankle, you name it and I've poor mobility in it. I've never been a flexible person and it's gotten worse as i've gotten older. If I spend an hour or more building up I can overhead squat maybe 115lbs, and that even depends on the day and how I'm feeling. At this point in my lift it's not that important to me so I've really just given up on it.

I enjoy your posts. Wished you lived in NKY, I would enjoy training with you; however, my guess is you are much stronger than an OLDbird. :D

:lol2:

I appreciate that. And I may be stronger, but I'm assuming by your avatar you would have a substantial advantage in the cardio department, so it all evens out.