Danville 35 Mayfield 21 - 2A State Championship

theguru

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't see the game but Mayfield's fans are saying the same thing Caldwell County fans say about their games against Mayfield sometimes," we didn't play our a game." They never buy that and now they are saying the same thing, I played and I think it does, Danville is 11 and 1 against Mayfield and it does have something to do with the game in some way. That doesn't mean Danville will win every game but it's playing out in the same sort of way. When a certain team keeps beating you it does something to the way you approach and play the game. Kentucky and Florida for example, although Mayfield is certainly capable of beating Danville, not sure if Kentucky will ever beat Florida again. Each time a team adds to their lopsided win total in a series it DOES work on you and players know of tradition and win streaks.

Danville won every facet of the game. It's really that simple. The Admirals were just the better team this season.

Well, again, I have to partly disagree. Just as the pictures and film you post, its perspective I guess. Lets be clear, Danville won and 1 play did not decide the game. I don't like it when people play would of , could of and all that. Stats were very even, and someone posted Mayfield got a huge hunk on the hail mary at end of game, this is true, just as Danville got huge hunk on 1 reverse run. I am going to agree with you that Danville was the better team. I am going to disagree that they won every aspect of the game, they clearly did not just as the passing yardage showed, if you are not going to count the last play, then we start the would of, could of, if this happens, or that play went different and so on. Van Cleve was the difference in this game, others for Danville had big games, but he was the difference, period. Outside of him I think the 2 teams were evenly matched and probably would split 10 games. So yes, in totality Danville was better but saying they won every aspect of the game is stretching it, howbeit by a slim margin.

Danville was the better team this year. And it wasn't close. It seems that when Danville has a team good enough to make it to state/play mayfield they have a "higher ceiling" than mayfield. Not sure why that is, perhaps it's because danville has a tougher road to state and their weaker teams get knocked out sooner? I know a lot of those 11 losses came in semi-final games, didn't they?

I would argue that they passed a lot because they couldn't run the ball at all. The passing also led to how many interceptions?

Yes our QBs threw 3 interceptions, but also for over 200 yards, my point, obviously missed, was that Danville didn't win EVERY aspect of the game.

And, your right, we couldn't run on the Ads, but isn't that what good teams do when you shut part of their game down you adjust? And Mayfield adjusted and had some success in the air, what were we supposed to do when Danville shut down the running game?

Rookie, we'll agree to disagree, but I see where you are coming from.

The only thing I noticed and posted earlier was that half of the Cardinal offensive stats came in the 4th Quarter when:

1. Danville was gassed from the 2 way players.

2. Ads were playing a lot softer with less blitzing to eat up time.

3. Margin was large enough for Admiral defenders to give a little less effort than they did when it was on the line.

Anyone could see that the combo of Mayfield playing with urgency and Danville playing with a large lead was the difference in stats.

Good luck to the Cardinals in the future and yourself Rookie57! :thumb:

And, your right, we couldn't run on the Ads, but isn't that what good teams do when you shut part of their game down you adjust? And Mayfield adjusted and had some success in the air, what were we supposed to do when Danville shut down the running game?

I thought they adjusted well, just didn't execute. Some running teams (See Raceland in 1A Final) just keep running their players into a wall. Mayfield didn't do that because they knew it wouldn't win. Good coaching and way to adjust the game plan.

Okie I might could agree with you if the bad snaps and false starts came at the end of the game. But they all happened in the first quarter.

When you get you blown 3 yards into the backfield the first 3 plays of the game...it does something to you mentally...the next series the false starts and fumbles started happening...it's not a coincidence!