Danville 35 Mayfield 21 - 2A State Championship

theguru

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the only view needed for the Jaleel Warren touchdown. Great work by the Herald-Leader to get this footage:

Controversial call in Kentucky high school football finals | Lexington Herald Leader

I know I'm getting old and my eyes aren't what they used to be but I still don't understand the touchdown call on this one. I paused the video several times and am still suspicious about the call. Please, no hate people, I'm a Danville fan.......

Here's the only view needed for the Jaleel Warren touchdown. Great work by the Herald-Leader to get this footage:

Controversial call in Kentucky high school football finals | Lexington Herald Leader

I don't know how you can any better video than that - and I still don't know if that should be a TD or an INT. If that play happened at the 50 yard line, I am pretty sure it would be an INT. In the end zone, I am not sure. The WR has his hands on the ball (possession), is able to keep his hands on as he is going down, gets his feet down in the end zone and the ball never hits the ground. That probably makes it a TD regardless of how the play ends up. I say an INT at the 50 because the defender has possession of the ball when they hit the ground.

I think you are right. With the play in the end zone, TD. If the play happened on the 50 yard line, INT.

And I'll add...that was told to me by a guy in the stands who seemed to know what he was talking about haha. So I'm not guaranteeing it.

But, that same call worked against Danville earlier this season so I assume it's correct:

I was told yesterday that the call goes to the offensive player if he has both hands on the ball and comes down inbounds. I think that happened on this play.

Both players maintained contact with the ball throughout, but the Mayfield player appeared to have more firm control of it because of his inside position. He actually tucked the ball away. My first reaction when I saw it was, "That's a pick!", but I'm not wearing the stripes, so I'll defer to the men who are. Warren did maintain contact with both hands. By the letter of the rule, I guess it's a TD.

Fortunately, Danville won convincingly and made it a non-issue in the end.

I know these are your guys, Wireman. I'm sure yesterday was a blast. Titletown is back.

I don't know how you can any better video than that - and I still don't know if that should be a TD or an INT. If that play happened at the 50 yard line, I am pretty sure it would be an INT. In the end zone, I am not sure. The WR has his hands on the ball (possession), is able to keep his hands on as he is going down, gets his feet down in the end zone and the ball never hits the ground. That probably makes it a TD regardless of how the play ends up. I say an INT at the 50 because the defender has possession of the ball when they hit the ground.

I'm not sure that the Danville player got a foot down inbounds, so it appears that it should have either been an INT or offensive pass interference. How far away was the official who signaled TD away from the play?

Way to far away to overrule the official 4' from the play. They called it the last option in my opinion. Incomplete, interception, offensive pass interference, touchdown. In that order. Like I said earlier Danville deserved the win but once again

Like the Boyle/Corbin thread there's no way to say the call didn't make a difference. Going in the half 8-14 and momentum vs 8-21 and feeling like you got screwed definitely makes a difference. Especially when your set to receive the ball to start the second half.

Way to far away to overrule the official 4' from the play. They called it the last option in my opinion. Incomplete, interception, offensive pass interference, touchdown. In that order. Like I said earlier Danville deserved the win but once again

Like the Boyle/Corbin thread there's no way to say the call didn't make a difference. Going in the half 8-14 and momentum vs 8-21 and feeling like you got screwed definitely makes a difference. Especially when your set to receive the ball to start the second half.

Danville was the better team. Mayfield didn’t move the ball til the fourth quarter and their last TD was on the last play when no one cared but just wanted the game over. So the final really was more like 35-15. So let’s call it 28-15 at the end of the day.

Could, woulda, shoulda didn’t change the skill players performance or the line play of Danville.

I'm not sure that the Danville player got a foot down inbounds, so it appears that it should have either been an INT or offensive pass interference. How far away was the official who signaled TD away from the play?

He actually got both feet down in the end zone. That never was the question, IMO.