Danville 35 Mayfield 21 - 2A State Championship

theguru

I did a little google searching and it is clear that the refs got this right. This is a TD. Here are a couple links to read:

From the rules book: Simultaneous catches | USA TODAY High School Sports

Simultaneous Possession? - The Official Forum

Watch the clip in the first post. Very, very similar to the Danville TD catch.

Bottom line, the Danville WR has both hands on the ball and comes down in bounds as does the Mayfield DB. No one lands out of bounds. Any way you slice it, this is a TD. If you don't believe the Danville WR has both hands on the ball when he lands in the end zone, pause the video at the 4 second mark. Once the Danville WR has the ball in his possession and lands in the end zone, it is a TD.

VOR you know people aren’t going to let facts and rules get in the way of their opinion! :jump:

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did a little google searching and it is clear that the refs got this right. This is a TD. Here are a couple links to read:

From the rules book: Simultaneous catches | USA TODAY High School Sports

Simultaneous Possession? - The Official Forum

Watch the clip in the first post. Very, very similar to the Danville TD catch.

Bottom line, the Danville WR has both hands on the ball and comes down in bounds as does the Mayfield DB. No one lands out of bounds. Any way you slice it, this is a TD. If you don't believe the Danville WR has both hands on the ball when he lands in the end zone, pause the video at the 4 second mark. Once the Danville WR has the ball in his possession and lands in the end zone, it is a TD.

Now you've done it.

VOR you know people aren’t going to let facts and rules get in the way of their opinion! :jump:

Sure, there will be a few. But I have found the Mayfield people on BGP to be among the most realistic and reasonable posters on here. They usually don't let bias blind them to reality. If they pause that video at 4 seconds and watch it, it becomes clear the WR has both hands on the ball when he lands in the end zone. That makes it a TD.

Sure, there will be a few. But I have found the Mayfield people on BGP to be among the most realistic and reasonable posters on here. They usually don't let bias blind them to reality. If they pause that video at 4 seconds and watch it, it becomes clear the WR has both hands on the ball when he lands in the end zone. That makes it a TD.

I absolutely agree with ya! :thumb: Also may I point out officials are making calls w/o the benefit of pausing a replay, it’s fast and in real time. Despite what most think the do a darn good job!

Absolutely. I knew he got both feet down when I watched it in person. I wasn't sure about hands on the ball until I saw the videos and pictures. Very clear that it was a touchdown catch.

I think any team on the MF end of this play would have been disappointed and questioned the result. For me, it was less about the result and more about being left in the blind as to how the refs came to that conclusion. Replays at the stadium would be nice, but I'm not sure it would have done any good. It was so close.

And help me understand, the receiver only has to have his foot touch down for split second for it to be a TD? Doesn't have to finish the play with possession?? If thats the case, those are some light requirements for a play like that to be a touchdown.

I think any team on the MF end of this play would have been disappointed and questioned the result. For me, it was less about the result and more about being left in the blind as to how the refs came to that conclusion. Replays at the stadium would be nice, but I'm not sure it would have done any good. It was so close.

And help me understand, the receiver only has to have his foot touch down for split second for it to be a TD? Doesn't have to finish the play with possession?? If thats the case, those are some light requirements for a play like that to be a touchdown.

High school rules are different than the NFL. I think the fact that it occurred in the end zone is what gives it to the offense. If it happened in the field of play and the defender took it away from him after his feet came down it would have been the defense's ball.

High school rules are different than the NFL. I think the fact that it occurred in the end zone is what gives it to the offense. If it happened in the field of play and the defender took it away from him after his feet came down it would have been the defense's ball.

Can you tell I watch too much NFL??? I need to brush up on my high school rules...

Can you tell I watch too much NFL??? I need to brush up on my high school rules...

As I read the rules linked in my post above, and elsewhere, as soon as the WR has possession and both feet down in the end zone, it is a TD. There is no completion of catch rule in high school. Watch the video in one of my links. It is almost identical in how it played out in the Danville/Mayfield game and the officials on that site say it is a TD.

It's real easy to get them mixed up. A lot of people get upset when pass interference is called on a ball thrown way over a receiver's head or grounding is called on a pass thrown out of bounds but there is no uncatchable or out of the pocket rules in high school either.

• 4 weeks later...

Watching today and wanted to add my thoughts as I watched the game.

Danville overcomes two fumbles right off the bat. One on the opening kickoff and the other after a long run. Maybe in looking back at this one it was destiny for them to win it all?

After a very short punt Mayfield gets great field position but can not do anything with ball, mostly because of motion calls. They did have a close call on a touchdown but #4 just missed making a great catch for a touchdown. On that drive we got to see that #3 can throw a pretty ball, with nice touch.

After the safety Mayfield got to make it a 7-2 score, they mess up the return, then overcome a drop pass, to record a nice catch and run by #2, who showed off some nice speed.

#7 comes right back with a long run for a Danville touchdown,as he showed that the Mayfield defense, was no where close to having the speed he possesses.

14-8 at this point Danville

What a terrific drive #15 for Danville orchestrated right before the half. That was a bigtime catch by #4 for the score. The defender played it as well as it could be played.

21-8 Danville at the half.

Things I noticed in the half

Danville has so many weapons(I knew this going in because I was at their bowl game) #23 is a stud, #7 is a score waiting to happen every time he has the ball, #3 seems to be a silent explosion meaning I do not believe he is a main focus of the defense.

Mayfield #3 seems like he is a star waiting to shine.

#54 really struggled in the half

15 and 16 look to be solid on the defensive side of things.

2 & 6 are dangerous players on the offensive side of things.

On the first Danville drive of the 2nd quarter, it was interesting to see both of the lines for each team taking turns owning the game.

Overall I do believe Danville was the much better team.