Miami, FL 41 Notre Dame 8

hrcarrier

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really hadn't seen ND play and have seen all the Canes games but I really did not expect this. It did become clear early that ND looked like they were playing in slow motion compared to Miami. This young Miami team is probably a year away from being able to compete for a national championship. They only start 4 seniors on offense and 1 on defense, (his backup is a true freshman and had the pick 6 last night). Their defense starts 5 sophs so they won't be leaving after this year for the NFL so the defense should be even better next year. Rosier is a junior and Homer a sophomore and Walton will probably return as a senior because of his injury. So they should be even better next year across the board. Richt has had 2 very good recruiting classes and next years is top 5.

As has been typical in the last 30 years, Notre Dame is the media darling of college football and are always overrated.

A sizable percentage of their national championships have been won because of this.

For many years they refused to play in bowl games and the mythical title was awarded after the bowls. An example, they were awarded the title in 1966 when it should have been awarded to Alabama. Notre Dame was 9-0-1 for the season. Michigan State was 9-0-1. Their ties were when they played one another to a 10-10 tie. Alabama was 11-0, with impressive wins throughout the season and they crushed #6 Nebraska in the Sugar Bowl. Notre Dame and Michigan State both declined bowl bids.

So, 63 sportswriters and broadcasters, the majority of them from the midwest and the northeast, ended up having the last say. Alabama was the two time defending national champions but they voted them 3rd in the final poll, behind number 1 Notre Dame and number 2 MSU.

That biased vote was a disgrace for college football that year. Many think Bear Bryant's '66 team was his best ever. I'm sure glad there's a playoff in today's game, even if it is only 4 teams.

With the current set up requiring ND to play at least 6 of their games against ACC schools plus without them picking which 6 it will be tough for the to get in the playoffs in my opinion.

True. Back in the day they played USC and Michigan State but after those two it was mostly the service academies and non-threatening opponents. Concentrate really hard on those two games, cruise through the rest, skip the bowls, and let the media voters do the rest.

A sizable percentage of their national championships have been won because of this.

For many years they refused to play in bowl games and the mythical title was awarded after the bowls. An example, they were awarded the title in 1966 when it should have been awarded to Alabama. Notre Dame was 9-0-1 for the season. Michigan State was 9-0-1. Their ties were when they played one another to a 10-10 tie. Alabama was 11-0, with impressive wins throughout the season and they crushed #6 Nebraska in the Sugar Bowl. Notre Dame and Michigan State both declined bowl bids.

So, 63 sportswriters and broadcasters, the majority of them from the midwest and the northeast, ended up having the last say. Alabama was the two time defending national champions but they voted them 3rd in the final poll, behind number 1 Notre Dame and number 2 MSU.

That biased vote was a disgrace for college football that year. Many think Bear Bryant's '66 team was his best ever. I'm sure glad there's a playoff in today's game, even if it is only 4 teams.

Bama has their fair share of mythical championships too.

The outcome was surprising to me but the one sided dominance is shocking. Looked like they were playing a highschool team. I was born and raised brain washed Catholic ND fan. My allegiance has switched to the Cats since high school and my pure hatred of Brian Kelly makes it easy to not care if they win or lose. The arrogance the school continues to put off wrankles my feathers. Obviously it’s all about the money but I wish the ACC would’ve told ND to pound salt with the arraignment for football. Either all in or all out.

Bama has their fair share of mythical championships too.

Yes they have. But I doubt Bama had the media favoritism that ND had in those days. Most the media was over weighted in sections of the country that wasn’t in Bama’s favor. Some think the reason they were voted number 3 in ‘66 even though undefeated was they had won the championship in both ‘64 and ‘65 and the voting media wasn’t going to allow a 3rd straight title.

Yes they have. But I doubt Bama had the media favoritism that ND had in those days. Most the media was over weighted in sections of the country that wasn’t in Bama’s favor. Some think the reason they were voted number 3 in ‘66 even though undefeated was they had won the championship in both ‘64 and ‘65 and the voting media wasn’t going to allow a 3rd straight title.

I agree I'm just saying that it's not like Bama wasn't ever given special treatment as well. Every big school did. ND was probably the biggest one though.

I said in the OSU-Mich St update thread that it wouldn't bother me if Miami put the hurt on ND the same way the Bucks did on Sparty. No where in my wildest imagination did I actually see it happening.

Same. I wanted to see Miami win, but mostly I wanted some good games. Didn't think Bama/ MSU would be the only one. Haha