Are the KHSAA football playoffs...

Look what he is comparing too. An Ohio system that has 4 times the amount of teams that you can go undefeated and not get in the playoffs. Joe needs to stick to Ohio sports and let a real sportscaster worry about whats going on in Kentucky.

Joe is not a "real sportscaster"? You serious Clark? Really?

What's your beef?

Edited by Jumper_Dad
R2

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first two rounds of playoffs only good for 2 things and one good and one bad. 1 underclassmen getting some experience for the better team which is a positive for that Team. 2. Either team can be hit with a player sustaining a season ending injury and is that really how KY wants the playoffs decided if a great team gets a player hurt that could change the coarse of the playoff in a game that for all purposes is decided before it even starts. I think should stay 6 classes but fewer teams in playoffs!!! Just my 2cents

I'm ok with the 6 classes, but I'm for only 2 teams make the playoffs, I don't care if the 3rd place team is 9-1, or 10-1, First and Second place only. I've heard the argument that these blowouts get the JV kids experience, and that is sometimes true. Mayfield got some kids experience tonight, but why would a coach bring down 42-0 at half not play his JV team SOME? Hancock played their varsity the whole game, I don't see where that benefits the backups.

There is a reason that 6 classes are the right number, I posted it a while back. Based on the size disparity in each class from the largest school to the smallest school Kentucky is in line with neighboring states along those lines.

As far as number of classes goes 6 is relatively low, as many states even ones with smaller population than Kentucky have many more classes.

Everyone gets worked up over blowouts but we have blowouts in every round even in the finals. The issue is that there are a some teams that take football seriously and many more that don't...those that do, beat the ever loving crap out of the ones that don't come playoff time.

In a vacuum it looks really bad, but stepping out of our little bubble and comparing population bases vs classes and size disparity within classes to other states and you will see that Kentucky isn't as out of touch as many would have you believe with their incessant over reactions every year at this time of the year.

All this tells me is there's a lot of crummy playoff football in other states too.

Not a great reason to follow suit.

All this tells me is there's a lot of crummy playoff football in other states too.

Not a great reason to follow suit.

It's not about following suit, it's about having classes where there isn't a 75% or more difference in the sizes of schools within each class.

When the KHSAA limits basketball, baseball, soccer and all other sports to less teams in the playoffs come see me, but as long as every other sport puts every single team in the playoff I think it's fine if most (but not all) get in from football.

1A average margin of victory in Round 2 - 30.75 points

2A average margin of victory in Round 2 - 26.875 points

3A average margin of victory in Round 2 - 32.25 points

4A average margin of victory in Round 2 - 30.375 points

5A average margin of victory in Round 2 - 17.875 points

6A average margin of victory in Round 2 - 19.75 points

Margin of victory is usually brought up to show how lopsided, and perhaps, just how far apart the competition may be. But, there was something else that I noticed this year, that seemed to be much more prevalent than the past 2 or 3 years...and that's the number of shutouts. (Talking about the first round only.)

I went back and looked...last year there were 12 shutouts, the year before that, 14. This year, there were 22. That seems likely a very high number to me, when you're only looking at 96 scores. Do we average that percentage on a weekly basis during the regular season?

I guess, to me, it's one thing to lose by 40 points, and the score was 56-16. But, when it's 40-0, that means one team has absolutely nothing (both figuratively and literally) to show for their efforts.

1A average margin of victory in Round 2 - 30.75 points

2A average margin of victory in Round 2 - 26.875 points

3A average margin of victory in Round 2 - 32.25 points

4A average margin of victory in Round 2 - 30.375 points

5A average margin of victory in Round 2 - 17.875 points

6A average margin of victory in Round 2 - 19.75 points

Margin of victory in 2006 round 2 (last year of 4 classes):

1A average margin in round 2 = 18

2A average margin in round 2 = 22

3A average margin in round 2 = 16

4A average margin in round 2 = 21

Out of 48 round 2 games played across 6 classes, there were 5 games that were decided by 1 touchdown or less.

In 2006, there were 8 round 2 games within 1 TD.

In 1998, there 8 round 2 games within 1 TD.

My point is - it wasn't much more competitive in the early rounds when it was just 4 classes. There were still a boatload of blowouts and lopsided games.

Edited by Voice of Reason

Question for everyone - how much impact is the prevalence of spread offenses and better passing games having on score differential?

I believe it does have an impact. With the added passing, games are longer with more plays due to the clock stopping on incompletions. There are more big plays. I believe there are more points being scored, especially by the better teams.

My point is - it wasn't much more competitive in the early rounds when it was just 4 classes. There were still a boatload of blowouts and lopsided games.

I don't think you made your argument though. Average margin of victory in 2017 in round 2 is greater than a td more than in 2006 and 1 out 4 games played in 2006 resulted in a difference of 1 td compared to 1 out 10 yesterday. That is a huge difference.

I don't think you made your argument though. Average margin of victory in 2017 in round 2 is greater than a td more than in 2006 and 1 out 4 games played in 2006 resulted in a difference of 1 td compared to 1 out 10 yesterday. That is a huge difference.

I agree. The margin is a little less. And I think part of that is attributed to offenses now versus offenses then. The main point is there weren't that many close competitive games then either. So let's blow up the current playoff structure so we can get 3 more competitive games in round 2?

To me, this playoff consternation is a bunch of "in the good old days" thinking when the "good old days" really weren't that much different.

In 1998 and 2006 there were only 32 round 2 games also.

8/32 = 25%

5/48 = 10%

I think that is a significant difference