Are the KHSAA football playoffs...

In 1998 and 2006 there were only 32 round 2 games also.

8/32 = 25%

5/48 = 10%

I think that is a significant difference

Three more games that were competitive. How many teams were eliminated from even playing in the playoffs? Eliminate all those kids, coaches and their teams from a playoff game so we can get 3 more games that are competitive?

I am serious when I say this. Any school that doesn't like being in the playoffs because they know they will get beat bad in round 1, please drop out of the playoffs. Stop whining and drop out like Emminence, Grant County, etc. I actually like that decision. Get rid of the schools that don't want the playoff experience for their team and let the other ones who want it stay in.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't making a case either way, VOR, and I didn't give my opinion. Just running numbers and pointing out 25% considerably greater than 10%. :thumb:

Yep, 1 out of 4 games compared to 1 out of 10. Huge difference in competitiveness. Or put another way 43 terrible games compared to 24. I'd hate to even see round 1 games.

Reducing the number of classes will not fix the situation. It’s not the playoff system that’s broken. The real issue is that quite frankly there are very few really good football teams in the state. The gap between the really good teams and the rest of the state is wide. You see a bunch of teams with decent records getting blown out in the second round, and there will be plenty of blowouts next week as well. This is a reflection in KY football in general, not the playoff system, and it’s why you don’t see a ton of KY kids populating D1 college football teams.

Someone needs to call Somerset, Bracken County, Paducah Tighlman, Washington County, Bullitt Central, and Floyd Central and tell them they are ruining high school football since they didn't score last night.

:lol2:

Exactly.

Ask the seniors of those teams if they think they earned the right to be in that round??

I agree, to an extent, that some of the playoff is broken.

0-10 teams don’t need to go.

But if you go back to 3-4 classes, the dominant teams will be even more dominant, and, IMO it will shudder some struggling programs eventually.

All so some people online have better games to watch.

I also wonder why we only care about playoff blowouts in football. Nobody says a word when the 4 seed loses to the 1 seed by 50 in the district basketball tournament. Or when nearly every baseball 4 seed gets run ruled in the district playoffs. Every sport has these blowouts in the first playoff rounds (and yes the district tourney is a playoff), despite the fact that no other sport is classed. These Blowouts and mismatches in the post season only seem to bother people in football.

I also wonder why we only care about playoff blowouts in football. Nobody says a word when the 4 seed loses to the 1 seed by 50 in the district basketball tournament. Or when nearly every baseball 4 seed gets run ruled in the district playoffs. Every sport has these blowouts in the first playoff rounds (and yes the district tourney is a playoff), despite the fact that no other sport is classed. These Blowouts and mismatches in the post season only seem to bother people in football.

Thank you. I have made that argument for years. A 26-0 4 inning game is ok in the baseball playoffs but God forbid someone gets shut out in a round 1 football game.

Blowouts in the regular season is one thing, and I realize there will always be some, but, playoffs should be about teams that have earned the right to be there, not about a participation trophy. We could eliminate many of these blowouts by limiting the number of teams playing. I will never, ever, buy any argument, any reason, why a 3rd or 4th place team in a district deserves to go to the playoffs.

The school population disparity is biggest in 6A. Seems like adding classes and cross-bracketing is about everyone wanting to get away from Trinity and St. X. Just put the 8 biggest schools in the biggest class and divide everyone else up into 4 or 5 classes. The same teams are still going to contend for the biggest class title whether there are 40 teams or 8 teams in it.

I'm in favor of only letting the top two district teams in the playoffs. I like 6 classes but I'd like teams to have to win a couple of games at least to qualify.

Blowouts in the regular season is one thing, and I realize there will always be some, but, playoffs should be about teams that have earned the right to be there, not about a participation trophy. We could eliminate many of these blowouts by limiting the number of teams playing. I will never, ever, buy any argument, any reason, why a 3rd or 4th place team in a district deserves to go to the playoffs.

Then change the format in every other sport.

I won't argue against reducing the number of teams that go to the playoffs. I also don't know what the big deal about almost everyone going is either. Nobody is regarding a 0-10 season and a playoff blowout as a great accomplishment or as being a trophy worthy season. Kids and coaches aren't stupid. Again, people don't bat an eye when a bad basketball or baseball team gets to participate in the post season district tourney and get boat raced by the top teams.

There are going to be blowouts next weekend, the following weekend and in the finals. The issue isn't the playoff system, it's the lack of quality teams in the state at all levels. No reduction of playoff teams, classes etc, is going to fix that. The only reason blowouts would be reduced is because there would be less games played.

I won't argue against reducing the number of teams that go to the playoffs. I also don't know what the big deal about almost everyone going is either. Nobody is regarding a 0-10 season and a playoff blowout as a great accomplishment or as being a trophy worthy season. Kids and coaches aren't stupid. Again, people don't bat an eye when a bad basketball or baseball team gets to participate in the post season district tourney and get boat raced by the top teams.

There are going to be blowouts next weekend, the following weekend and in the finals. The issue isn't the playoff system, it's the lack of quality teams in the state at all levels. No reduction of playoff teams, classes etc, is going to fix that. The only reason blowouts would be reduced is because there would be less games played.

That works for me, less games.