Are the KHSAA football playoffs...

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Testing my memory is one thing, but asking for dates is just crazy.

2008?

2008 was a tough year.

Moving forward, that means that no matter how the multi-class system/number of teams getting into the playoffs came into existence, there hasn't been any meaningful movement to change it.

Or in simple terms, the member schools like it.

Or in simple terms, the member schools like it.

Which begs the question: why? I know for a fact many schools lose a great deal of money on the first round games. When my son was a junior and senior, Raceland would host a first round game and, I kid you not, the visiting team brought less then 5 fans each year. Raceland had to pay for the visiting team's travel and food and lost money each year. And, I know for a fact, from talking to the visiting team's coaches and players, they did not want to play the game in the first place. So, if the number 1 team is losing money and the number 4 team doesn't want to play, why are schools for it?

Which begs the question: why? I know for a fact many schools lose a great deal of money on the first round games. When my son was a junior and senior, Raceland would host a first round game and, I kid you not, the visiting team brought less then 5 fans each year. Raceland had to pay for the visiting team's travel and food and lost money each year. And, I know for a fact, from talking to the visiting team's coaches and players, they did not want to play the game in the first place. So, if the number 1 team is losing money and the number 4 team doesn't want to play, why are schools for it?

Not the schools, the coaches. They get to say they led their to the playoffs. Even if it is a very short stay.

Sometimes what seems like a good idea (padding a Coach's resume with playoff appearances and making sure every little Johnnie gets a trophy) ain't so great after all.

I think Kentucky High School Football is wonderful but it is time the KHSAA re-examines everything about football.

I would love to see the KHSAA cut out a week of the playoffs and go back to playing the finals on Thanksgiving Weekend.

Playoff structure is a joke - offered to placate a bunch of butt hurt schools that cry over private schools.

So, one of the smaller populations of 11 v 11 football playing states, has 6 classes and 5 rounds of playoffs. And, ridiculous cross bracketing. All done to make cry babies happy.

Like, maybe, Dudley Hilton. Who happily had his behind handed to him tonight.

Please. I beg you. If you are a team that is going to be a 4 seed and you don't want to play in the playoffs, just go ahead and drop out like Eminence and other teams did.

The match-ups have always been very predictable for the most part. There are the upsets and ones no one would have picked that are outliers. But overall, the playoffs go by the chalk.

What may be new is the impact of the 'concussion era'. The impact will likely hit the lower echelon schools more than the traditional power schools.

Just a guess.

There is a reason that 6 classes are the right number, I posted it a while back. Based on the size disparity in each class from the largest school to the smallest school Kentucky is in line with neighboring states along those lines.

As far as number of classes goes 6 is relatively low, as many states even ones with smaller population than Kentucky have many more classes.

Everyone gets worked up over blowouts but we have blowouts in every round even in the finals. The issue is that there are a some teams that take football seriously and many more that don't...those that do, beat the ever loving crap out of the ones that don't come playoff time.

In a vacuum it looks really bad, but stepping out of our little bubble and comparing population bases vs classes and size disparity within classes to other states and you will see that Kentucky isn't as out of touch as many would have you believe with their incessant over reactions every year at this time of the year.