Should Private Schools Have Their Own Playoff?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW since Boone County has no Independent school districts like Kenton and Campbell Co they do have a competitive advantage in all the non classified sports. All those Independent school districts and County school districts competing for kids and dividing all that talent while Boone Co has just those 4 massive 6A schools. Maybe there should be some rule against that?

Walton Verona?

Just for clarity, Kenton County isn't a free-for-all. The school has to have space, and the student has a set of standards that they have to meet. It's also a year-to-year basis. Once in, it does not guarantee you'll get in the following year.

Fort Knox and Fort Campbell are not private schools they don't get to pick and choose who attends their schools its just like a public school if you live in the school district that is who attends the school. You can't live off post and come on base to school unless you are a senior who attended those schools your junior year. You can't live on post and go to hardin county schools either even though it happens every year

Well then you need to provide that evidence to the KHSAA if you have proof, I don't want any of the private schools (T included) skirting the KHSAA rules.

Can you also provide a link to the KHSAA Rules that publics have to abide by that privates do not? I keep hearing this but I have seen nothing indicating that the Kentucky High School Athletic Association has a double standard.

I keep hearing about how "My county doesn't allow students to attend school at the high school of their choosing, so anyone who doesn't do what I do has an advantage!" but I have yet to see anyone indicate that the KHSAA has different standards. If they do by golly we need to address it, we can't have official guidelines by a regulatory body that treats one school differently than another.

The real football states: Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Texas use separate divisions or enrollment multipliers to offset the competitive imbalance between publics and privates. Regardless of rules, its simply not a level playing field. Money....yes money wins football games. Compilation of how all 5

The privates in and around Lexington and Louisville compete with one another for the best players. From Trinity to LCA. It's corrupted the play. Privates do not play by the same rules. In 2007 Lexington Catholic dressed over 100 kids in 3A! I know for a fact that a large % didn't pay their own tuition. It will only get worst. Ruining the game.

Sure you do. :rolleyes:

Just not familiar with mountain football. In NKY if you have a legitimate move and the coach from the opposing school raises hell you don't get to play varsity football. That's a fact.

I would disagree with it being fact.

The real football states: Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Texas use separate divisions or enrollment multipliers to offset the competitive imbalance between publics and privates. Regardless of rules, its simply not a level playing field. Money....yes money wins football games. Compilation of how all 5 states handle competitive balance - cleveland.com

Money? Why did I sell candy bars back in the day to have the 1st football team at CovCath.

Why did it take so many years to get our first football field?

Why did it take so many years to get turf?

Why did it take so many years to get Lights?

Why to this day does Newport Central Catholic, Cov Holy Cross don't even have football fields at their school, if all the privates have so much money?

The money is in the education. The quality of the academics. There's absolutely nothing wrong with kids of lesser means getting to attend these institutions. It just offsets the balance of play in high school sports. Hence, the use of multipliers and separate divisions in progressive states. We can pretend its fair competition, make those of privilege feel special and important. But anyone looking.....can see the problem.

The money is in the education. The quality of the academics. There's absolutely nothing wrong with kids of lesser means getting to attend these institutions. It just offsets the balance of play in high school sports. Hence, the use of multipliers and separate divisions in progressive states. We can pretend its fair competition, make those of privilege feel special and important. But anyone looking.....can see the problem.

Can't do separate divisions in KY...not anywhere near enough private schools, and too big of an enrollment difference between the top two and the rest. Multipliers won't really fix the problem either, as it's the biggest private schools that most have the issue with.

I just don't understand all the angst so many have on this issue. Even if you pulled the privates out, or somehow lessened their "advantage", you'd still likely have only a handful of schools every year with a legitimate chance at a state title. There are plenty of publics that have been successful and built strong state title contending program to keep griping about this perceived issue. What no one talks about through all this, is the academic side of the coin. Remember, a school's primary responsibility is to educate...not to provide state titles in sports. The interesting point is, that most of your successful athletic programs just happen to be in high academic achieving school districts. If you get your academic side right, the sports side will come.