Should Private Schools Have Their Own Playoff?

Boone County Schools don't care about football but that's not the title of this thread.

No, the title of and the gist of the thread is one that has been discussed ad nauseum here. Those of us that don't think there should be separate playoffs for private schools have always maintained that most of the advantages people see the private schools having are a results of limitations that public schools and/or school systems have placed on themselves.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree. There are numerous public schools in the mountains that have players that are from other counties, maybe other states coming and playing on these schools football team.

Not just in the mountains. Lots of school districts accept out of district students.

But Boone County has a rule that you must play in the district you reside in. Does that not put them at a competitive disadvantage?

So if a county decides to impose a rule on itself that others choose to not impose on themselves who is at fault?

If Johnny knowingly drinks paint thinner and Jimmy knowingly drinks water then who is the fool?

If I want to run a race against you but then stab my thigh with a knife does that mean that I have the right to impose that same poor decision upon you?

There are few ways to play for a HS out of YOUR District in Boone County and as a former Boone County resident here are some of the ways I have seen and been told about.

1) Work for the Board of Education. If you work for the Board your child can go to any school of your choice, unlike you a tax paying citizen who has no choice in the matter Oh, you don't have to be a teacher, be a bus driver, work in the cafeteria, school aid, Janitor, lots of jobs you can have.

2) Say what you want but think of Ms. Moss of Ryle then of Boone County

3) I knew people who used other family address (all for non sports kids) to attend a different Boone County HS.

4) Don't own a home, live in an apartment, you can move every year to a different school.

The best idea and I have preached this for years, VOTE FOR BOARD MEMBERS WHO AGREE WITH YOU ON ISSUE THAT ARE IMPORTANT TO YOU. ATTEND BOARD OF EDUCATION MEETINGS AND LET THEM KNOW HOW YOU FEEL, RUN FOR A BOARD SEAT IF YOU DON'T GET WHAT YOU THINK IS FAIR.

No, the title of and the gist of the thread is one that has been discussed ad nauseum here. Those of us that don't think there should be separate playoffs for private schools have always maintained that most of the advantages people see the private schools having are a results of limitations that public schools and/or school systems have placed on themselves.

So public schools are at a competitive disadvantage! Thank you for answering my question.

Every family doesn't have the money or ability to move that one mile or pay tuition to Highlands.

Maybe some do, I'd venture to say most people don't sell the family home and move for four years. Those with plenty of $$$ may rent a place with a good address or maybe use the non-sense that is educational guardianship to make a kid look like they had a legal move.

Most people just don't have the $$$ to just pack.up and move for football or basketball.

If it means enough to get junior to that greener grass on the other side of the fence, I've found that parents will chose to do so. But that's their choice.

But Boone County has a rule that you must play in the district you reside in. Does that not put them at a competitive disadvantage?

BTW since Boone County has no Independent school districts like Kenton and Campbell Co they do have a competitive advantage in all the non classified sports. All those Independent school districts and County school districts competing for kids and dividing all that talent while Boone Co has just those 4 massive 6A schools. Maybe there should be some rule against that?

Are they at a competitive disadvantage or not? That is the question

Sure, but it's a self-imposed one. Blame Boone Co. Schools and not the KHSAA. The KHSAA has regulatory power over sports, not how a school chooses to fill its hallways.

Current private schools competing in KHSAA football.

1A

Bethlehem

Bishop Brossart

Kentucky Country Day

Louisville Holy Cross

2A

Christian Academy Louisville

Covington Holy Cross

DeSales

Lexington Christian Academy

Newport Central Catholic

Owensboro Catholic

3A

Lexington Catholic

5A

Covington Catholic

6A

St. Xavier

Trinity

Are they at a competitive disadvantage or not? That is the question

They put themselves at one, framing the question to get the answer you want does not fully encapsulate the issue.

I wasn't expecting my paint thinner example to hit so close home or be so accurate.