Should Private Schools Have Their Own Playoff?

The money is in the education. The quality of the academics. There's absolutely nothing wrong with kids of lesser means getting to attend these institutions. It just offsets the balance of play in high school sports. Hence, the use of multipliers and separate divisions in progressive states. We can pretend its fair competition, make those of privilege feel special and important. But anyone looking.....can see the problem.

Are you insinuating that children from disadvantaged backgrounds are inherently more athletic? So when time comes for any child of mine to go to high school, my wife and I will quit our jobs so that he can become a starting QB, get a scholarship, and then go play in the NFL...got it!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Money? Why did I sell candy bars back in the day to have the 1st football team at CovCath.

Why did it take so many years to get our first football field?

Why did it take so many years to get turf?

Why did it take so many years to get Lights?

Why to this day does Newport Central Catholic, Cov Holy Cross don't even have football fields at their school, if all the privates have so much money?

You forgot Brossart also has a football team with no field. They are currently doing a capital campaign to raise funds if anyone wants to chip in.

So public schools are at a competitive disadvantage! Thank you for answering my question.

Because they have chosen to put themselves at a disadvantage. How about answering some of the questions that have been posed to you. If school system A chooses only to admit students with odd numbered addresses they have put themselves at a disadvantage, should all other schools be expected to follow?

The money is in the education. The quality of the academics. There's absolutely nothing wrong with kids of lesser means getting to attend these institutions. It just offsets the balance of play in high school sports. Hence, the use of multipliers and separate divisions in progressive states. We can pretend its fair competition, make those of privilege feel special and important. But anyone looking.....can see the problem.

First time I have ever heard Texas, Georgia and Alabama described at progressive states.

What if a multiplier was used? What would the effect be? How would it change anything?

Are you insinuating that children from disadvantaged backgrounds are inherently more athletic? So when time comes for any child of mine to go to high school, my wife and I will quit our jobs so that he can become a starting QB, get a scholarship, and then go play in the NFL...got it!

No, I'm stating the facts. There not hardly any underprivileged students attending Trinity or LCA (all the others) that aren't upper level athletes. No one finds a scholarship or generous alumni donor for a 5'5" 120 lb slow footed kid with bad hand eye coordination. Look the other way, its the only way to feel good about it.

No, I'm stating the facts. There not hardly any underprivileged students attending Trinity or LCA (all the others) that aren't upper level athletes. No one finds a scholarship or generous alumni donor for a 5'5" 120 lb slow footed kid with bad hand eye coordination. Look the other way, its the only way to feel good about it.

Have you heard of Michael Bush?

Also do you know how financial aid is handled? You seem to think that it is all a wink and a handshake.

Yes...lol. A 1 in 3 generations type kid. Oh, and how would of his teams faired against this years Trinity team? Great example. This hasn't degraded overnight. Its just strongly trending that direction. Hence, why other states have addressed. Just keep watching the privates win all the championships. General population will stop caring and the product will deteriorate. Trinity won't care anything about a given/meaningless state title. All that will matter is the game against Bishop Gorman.

I'm glad you asked All Tell. Based on the latest enrollment figures, applying a 1.5 multiplier to private schools, and attaching the condition that a school can only move up one class (which is how Tennessee does it) here would be the changes.

Class A

Bethlehem, Brossart, and Holy Cross (Louisville) move up to 2A.

KCD remains 1A.

Ft. Knox, Trimble County, and Ballard Memorial drop to 1A to replace the movers.

Class 2A (Big Changes)

NCC, CAL, Holy Cross (Covington), LCA, OCath, and DeSales all move to 3A.

Magoffin, Morgan, Bardstown, Edmonson, Trigg, and Caldwell move to 2A.

Class 3A

Lex Cath moves to 4A.

East Carter moves down to 3A.

Class4A: No privates currently.

Class 5A:

Cov Cath moves up to 6A.

Boone County moves down to 5A.

Class 6A: No changes.

Two observations:

1. Bardstown benefits greatly.

2. Class 3A becomes and absolute murderers row. That would be fun to watch.

What about the kids who go all through grade school at a catholic school then goes to a Public school? I am sure its ok when that kid is the best athlete on the team.

I am not knocking Public schools at all but give it a rest when it comes to private vs public.

First of all, the way this thread was presented is disingenuous. And for reference:

Disingenuous - not candid or sincere, typically by pretending that one knows less about something than one really does.

The KHSAA rules are the SAME for every school.

Some schools, like the Boone County schools (Boone County, Conner, Cooper, and Ryle) knowingly self-impose competitive disadvantages on their own schools.

The Boone County schools have a closed system, meaning no one from outside a given district can attend any of their schools. This is 100% a Boone County School System decision and it has nothing to do with the KHSAA, private schools, or independent schools. It is a self-imposed policy that puts these schools at a competitive disadvantage.

Additionally, 3 of the 4 Boone County schools should have been placed in 5A the last time the classifications were realigned. However, representatives from Boone County, Conner, and Cooper all petitioned the KHSAA to play up in Class to play in 6A. This is another self-imposed decision that puts three of the four Boone County schools at a competitive disadvantage.

Frankly, if you are a parent of a good football player that is not in high school yet you should do everything in your power to keep them out of the Boone County schools because of the self-imposed policies that put those four schools at competitive disadvantages.

Again, in case anyone forgot, you can't self-impose restrictions on your own school district and then complain that others won't do the same. The practice is not only stupid but it is un-American.

Finally once again, the KHSAA rules are the SAME for every school.