Hero or Criminal????

IAmAFan

If he was killing civilians by superiors orders ......

If you were sent to Iraq to fight terrorists and you were ordered to kill civilians, what honor is there in serving your country?????????

You cannot make such a leap to support your belief.

If you're against the war, I'll support your right to express it. However, you can't assume or insinuate as you've done here.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he was killing civilians by superiors orders I can't blame him for not taking the proper channels. His "no heroes" comment was based on his hero welcome that he reecieved when he returned. Purple heart and wounded soldier greeted by his Mom. Bet that made him feel great. The vast vast majority of the country is not welcoming back our soldiers as war heroes.

Just because we do not meet him with balloons at the airport nor have a parade down Main St in no way means we do not view a soldier as a hero.

If he was killing civilians by superiors orders I can't blame him for not taking the proper channels. His "no heroes" comment was based on his hero welcome that he reecieved when he returned. Purple heart and wounded soldier greeted by his Mom. Bet that made him feel great. The vast vast majority of the country is not welcoming back our soldiers as war heroes.

If you were sent to Iraq to fight terrorists and you were ordered to kill civilians, what honor is there in serving your country?????????

I hope none of our soldiers are committed to that.

Terrorists are civilians, they belong to no organized force. Being ordered to kill terrorists IS being asked to kill civilians in a way. I am not being contrary or the sake of it I am merely pointing out the semantics of the comment.

Either way desertion is a crime, a military crime. No room for interpretation here, military codes of justice are clear and strict.

I think the civilian thing is the most important part of his case. If it's true I can't blame him. If it isn't than he's a deserter.

Just like those soldiers who firebombed Dresden and Tokyo huh?

I forgot, that war was good v evil. :rolleyes:

No such thing as a clean war, civilians die in combat especially in combat in cities. Even more so when the combatants cannot easily be distinguished from the civilians.

Even more so when the combatants cannot easily be distinguished from the civilians.

Agreed. We're asking 18 year olds to make split-second decisions on whether the lady in front of them or the old man in the car at the checkpoint is concealing explosives. We then criticize them as being murderers if it turns out they made the wrong call. If my son was in that position (and thank the Lord he's not), I'd tell him to be on the safe side if you're not sure instead of being the "nice boy" and end up coming home in a box.

Criminal.

If you sign up for the service, you do so with the knowledge that you may have to fight. To join so you get your college paid for is IMHO selfish, and should somehow not be allowed.

If it should not be allowed, then recruiters should stop using it as a key tool to get people in...

Terrorists are civilians, they belong to no organized force. Being ordered to kill terrorists IS being asked to kill civilians in a way. I am not being contrary or the sake of it I am merely pointing out the semantics of the comment.

Either way desertion is a crime, a military crime. No room for interpretation here, military codes of justice are clear and strict.

:thumb:

Good post!

Punishment by death for desertion during time of war is an alternative available to a courts martial, but is not required. And you are correct, this is desertion (Article 85) not AWOL (Article 86). Here's why its desertion:

2) Desertion with intent to avoid hazardous duty or to shirk important service.

(a) That the accused quit his or her unit, organization, or other place of duty;

(b) That the accused did so with the intent to avoid a certain duty or shirk a certain service;

© That the duty to be performed was hazardous or the service important;

(d) That the accused knew that he or she would be required for such duty or service; and

(e) That the accused remained absent until the date alleged.

If it should not be allowed, then recruiters should stop using it as a key tool to get people in...

Recruiters NEVER say that you should sign up for the education purposes only. The education is offered on top of the duties that is required. Duty comes first, everything else second. My son was recruited by several branches of the military and chose the Navy. Not one time did any recruiter insinuate that getting his education would be his only concern.

The fellow in question is a lot of things, a hero is not one of them.