Hero or Criminal????

IAmAFan

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please thank him for his service.:D Make sure that he knows that there are Americans that support them.

Gus -

I would appreciate it if you would also tell him that there is a large portion of Americans that support him but do NOT support the war itself. A very large number of Americans would much rather see him and his fellow soldiers back home, and out of harm's way.

Thanks,

Frances

Both, in my view.

For those of you that want to point out there is no question on the matter because desertion is a crime regardless of motive, please remember the heros in our past that were ALSO criminals for their actions. Martin Luther King Jr. comes to mind, who was arrested multiple times, even convicted for trespassing, which is a crime regardless of motive.

Recruiters NEVER say that you should sign up for the education purposes only. The education is offered on top of the duties that is required. Duty comes first, everything else second. My son was recruited by several branches of the military and chose the Navy. Not one time did any recruiter insinuate that getting his education would be his only concern.

The fellow in question is a lot of things, a hero is not one of them.

You should NEVER say what recruiters would never say. There are quite a few that will say anything.

As a veteran...I strongly feel that he is no where close to a hero. He is a coward!. There is no mystery behind what you might have to do when you join the military. You know what you are getting into.

However...he did the right thing by not going....I say this because this coward would have gotten someone killed because of his non-actions...his fear.

This job is not for everyone....it takes guts and most people can talk the talk....but when it comes time to walk the walk.....they run the other way.

As a veteran...I strongly feel that he is no where close to a hero. He is a coward!. There is no mystery behind what you might have to do when you join the military. You know what you are getting into.

However...he did the right thing by not going....I say this because this coward would have gotten someone killed because of his non-actions...his fear.

This job is not for everyone....it takes guts and most people can talk the talk....but when it comes time to walk the walk.....they run the other way.

He went, and was awarded a Purple Heart.

If he deserted because he was afraid to go back, then he's a coward. But if he's telling the truth and he deserted because of moral problems, that doesn't make him a coward.

If he deserted because he was afraid to go back, then he's a coward. But if he's telling the truth and he deserted because of moral problems, that doesn't make him a coward.

I might be throwing my own experiences in here unfairly....But there were 2 guys in my unit that went because they were young and just didn't know what they were getting into. We had to keep them at camp instead of going on mission because of their cowardice.

Lucky for me...my platoon sergeant was an ex-Navy seal with action in Nam. He recognized this behavior and acted on it.

My guess is that if had to go back...these two would not show up. I would bet a paycheck on one of them.

I just see a lot of similiarities between this guy and those two. They talked a lot of trash before we got there...then they turned to these so called moral issues after their cowardice surfaced...

Like I said...I could be wrong...this just reminds me of my experience.

But he is still a deserter, regardless of motive.

You should NEVER say what recruiters would never say. There are quite a few that will say anything.

You're right, I should not have said never. I just don't think the armed forces has a whole lot of enlisted young men that are there because a recruiter told them that getting a college education would be their biggest concern. A recruiter gets you interested, you still have to go through MEPS before you are sworn in. During MEPS my son had ample opportunities to back out. Counselors will give you the opportunity to go home more than once before getting sworn in. He was never led to believe anything was going to be easy and was also told that getting college credit would be available at times and at other times it would not. One would have to be very gullible to believe a recruiter that said that you were signing up to get a dorm room on a college campus. Maybe some recruiters try to sell it that way. I don't see many falling for that pitch.

I say take out student loans like everyone else does and don't sign up for the military. That way you don't have to fight in a war that you don't believe in.

I'm sure there have been many young men and women that got their college education while in the military or had the opportunity. There are many that could benefit from the military as long as they understand that duty comes first. I hope and pray that our young men and women continue to enlist, even if they have to fight in a war they don't believe in. It would be nice if we were in a place where we all believed in the same thing, that place does not exist on this earth.