Friday Fun Thread - What do you think about ESPN's Liberal Political Agenda?

theguru

@UKMustangFan gave a great example of the Double Political Standard at ESPN with this quote:

"There is no possible way one can look at the suspension of Linda Cohn and the lack of any discipline to Jemele Hill and not come to the conclusion that there is a double standard at ESPN."

Here is the thread for reference:

http://bluegrasspreps.com/controversial-issues/does-espn-have-353083.html

So I ask again, what do you think about ESPN's Liberal Political Agenda?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I quit watching ESPN a long time ago other than live games. When I used to watch it was because I wanted to see highlights and boxscores. Seems that there is very little of that anymore. I have no interest in listening to the talking heads speak of deflated footballs and such for 10 minutes, so I really have no interest in having them put a political slant on everything. To me sports are something I enjoy watching as it is an escape for the stress and pressure that comes with day to day life.

Sports is an escape from politics or should be. ESPN is becoming just another political cable show.

This for me.

ESPN has been so awesome over the years and I hate that it has come to this.

Like I said recently, I prefer to get my sports from Fox and NBC.

Dan Patrick made some excellent points regarding this on his radio show yesterday.

He stated that when he and Olberman did SportsCenter that Olberman never mentioned politics. He is right, I was a huge fan of SC then and could not have made any judgement regarding either man's political leanings. As we all learned later Olberman is a highly political person.

He also made the point that it is much tougher today to avoid totally due to social media.

When you are in sports reporting you want give 100% of your audience what they tuned in to hear. The moment you go political you lose 50%. That ain't good. ESPN is evidently shedding customers at an alarming rate.

Ironically firing Jemele Hill might result in similar accusations being leveled against ESPN. It's a catch 22.

Personally I think she should be able to speak her mind - don't see how ESPN is any different than Fox with regards to people's expectations of "neutrality." There is no unbiased media - never has been.

The market - not the White House - will decide her fate. Frankly I'll bet more people will be watching her as a result of this firestorm. I'm no TV expert but isn't that what a network wants?

Let me add that for me it goes both ways. I don't want to have to be subjected to a conservative politcal agenda either. Unless he is there to throw out the first pitch the President doesn't need to be mentioned on Sportscenter.

I liked when Obama picked his NCAA bracket, but I basically agree with what you're saying here.