NamecipS

Positives:

No commute time

Gas savings

You can throw in a load of laundry etc.

Negatives:

Limited work interaction with co-workers

Interruptions from "others"

Unless your boss and your boss's boss work from home also then there will be a bias.

It does take discipline. TV, radio, BG Preps, Food all within reach

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been working from home for the past 10 years. My company has moved to the open space work environments. It's pretty but it would be so difficult for me to go back to an office. Frankly, I am annoyed by the "social" aspect of being in an office. How do people get anything done? At home, I have a dedicated space and I'm focused. I'm busy so often I work a longer day than others in the office! No commute. When the kids were little I could be home while tending to them if sick. I wear my comfy stretch pants. I can walk the dog or cut grass during lunch. If I need to feel connected, I pick up the phone and chat with another remote colleague in Florida, Seattle or Boston. I'm so happy technology has given tools to allow people to work anywhere.

I put in my request for WAH a few weeks ago and will likely be working five days a week from my office. Our office is moving to Springdale and I'm not about to deal with an additional 32 miles along with the traffic I would have to face.

I'm going to enjoy the pluses but I will miss the office interaction while the thought of being in my house 20 plus hours a day starting in the winter will be a big adjustment.

I've been working from home for the past 10 years. My company has moved to the open space work environments. It's pretty but it would be so difficult for me to go back to an office. Frankly, I am annoyed by the "social" aspect of being in an office. How do people get anything done? At home, I have a dedicated space and I'm focused. I'm busy so often I work a longer day than others in the office! No commute. When the kids were little I could be home while tending to them if sick. I wear my comfy stretch pants. I can walk the dog or cut grass during lunch. If I need to feel connected, I pick up the phone and chat with another remote colleague in Florida, Seattle or Boston. I'm so happy technology has given tools to allow people to work anywhere.

You have hit on one of the reasons I love working from home so much. I don't go to the office to socialize. IF I were to want to socialize with anyone I work with, I would do so outside of work. I hate when people stop by my area and think they should just chill out and spend up to an hour or more catching up on the weekend. Really? I have work to do. Makes me really irritated.

I don't go to work to socialize either. My coworker's and I learn a lot from each other. Watching how peers handle certain situations, demonstrating new techniques, working as a team, even handling conflict between another coworker is all a part of it IMO. Helping the newbies grow and keeping humble enough to learn from them as well is essential for growth in many professions.

I respect those who can and do work from the home, and it certainly has its benefits. I just prefer the benefits that working out of the house provides.

I don't go to work to socialize either. My coworker's and I learn a lot from each other. Watching how peers handle certain situations, demonstrating new techniques, working as a team, even handling conflict between another coworker is all a part of it IMO. Helping the newbies grow and keeping humble enough to learn from them as well is essential for growth in many professions.

I respect those who can and do work from the home, and it certainly has its benefits. I just prefer the benefits that working out of the house provides.

That was one of my biggest fears when I first started working from home. I've found it's completely possible to do that while working from home. While me and my team don't get face time, we communicate and collaborate daily via phone, text, and video conferencing. You don't need an office to be able to work as a team. Granted it takes a little more effort and work... but it's definitely possible. Still though, we do get together at least once a quarter.

That was one of my biggest fears when I first started working from home. I've found it's completely possible to do that while working from home. While me and my team don't get face time, we communicate and collaborate daily via phone, text, and video conferencing. You don't need an office to be able to work as a team. Granted it takes a little more effort and work... but it's definitely possible. Still though, we do get together at least once a quarter.

I'll add that not getting the face time also seems to have kept myself and my team focused as well. When we have to communicate via email or the like, we are much more targeted in out communication.

I get others have other needs. I will also add, I don't have very many friends that I socialize in person with either. But, I do have a lot of friends, weirdly. I am a task oriented person. And, really, human interaction causes me untold anxiety and I always feel beat up after prolonged interaction. :lol2:

I'll add that not getting the face time also seems to have kept myself and my team focused as well. When we have to communicate via email or the like, we are much more targeted in out communication.

I get others have other needs. I will also add, I don't have very many friends that I socialize in person with either. But, I do have a lot of friends, weirdly. I am a task oriented person. And, really, human interaction causes me untold anxiety and I always feel beat up after prolonged interaction. :lol2:

Rockmom, from reading your posts over the years, it completely surprises me that you said you have social anxiety. Are you kidding us? You seem so common sense, down to earth and comfortable. I never would have guessed.

Rockmom, from reading your posts over the years, it completely surprises me that you said you have social anxiety. Are you kidding us? You seem so common sense, down to earth and comfortable. I never would have guessed.

Seriously. I have struggled all my life with it. I find the older I get, the less I want to fight against it.

I will add, for all those who suffer from social anxiety, we aren't lacking in common sense, and the majority of us don't share our anxiety. Many of us are just those people who leave early from parties or the such, etc. My personal way of dealing with it that is most effective is making sure anything I do that is going to cause me anxiety is scheduled. I don't do last minute things. I just can't get myself mentally geared up.

I will add, for all those who suffer from social anxiety, we aren't lacking in common sense, and the majority of us don't share our anxiety. Many of us are just those people who leave early from parties or the such, etc. My personal way of dealing with it that is most effective is making sure anything I do that is going to cause me anxiety is scheduled. I don't do last minute things. I just can't get myself mentally geared up.

Oh no! I didn't mean to infer you were lacking common sense. My apologies. I should have left it as someone who seems very comfortable.

I don't really have social anxiety, but I do find as I get older, I attend fewer social events, mostly because I no longer feel obligated to go to things I never wanted to go to in the first place!