Mark Foley

1) Foley committed an incredibly stupid act. That act was even more ludicrous, in light of his elected position, and one of the committees that he served on.

2) The parents chose not to pursue any legal action, other than to ask their Representative to intercede and have the emails stop (understandable).

3) The leadership of the Republican party was made aware of the situation (roughly one year ago).

4) Someone high in the Republican party chose not to do anything with it until it became public knowledge during an ABC interview.

5) Did someone in the Democratic party also have knowledge, and keep it in his back pocket, waiting for a politically opportune time to use it? Heck if I know, but even if that is true, it hardly excuses any of the above.

In defense of the GOP leadership, it is my understanding that Foley was confronted on two separate occasions about staying away from the page. I don't believe that the GOP leaders really understood how bad it was. If you read Foley's emails to the page, they sound pretty innocent. But Foley was apparently instant messaging the kid with some pretty graphic talk.

I think the Democratic party came into this election with shovels full of dirt, just waiting until the last minute to let fly at some of the GOP candidates. I hate these types of tactics, however, they do work.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In defense of the GOP leadership, it is my understanding that Foley was confronted on two separate occasions about staying away from the page. I don't believe that the GOP leaders really understood how bad it was. If you read Foley's emails to the page, they sound pretty innocent. But Foley was apparently instant messaging the kid with some pretty graphic talk.

I think the Democratic party came into this election with shovels full of dirt, just waiting until the last minute to let fly at some of the GOP candidates. I hate these types of tactics, however, they do work.

Yep....Foley's actions are the demorats fault. That's pretty much what we expected.

What crime would you have them charge him with? Perhaps additional details will become known which will change the complexion of Foley's trangressions but right now it appears that he sent grossly inappropriate emails. But grossly inappropriate emails are just that - inappropriate - not illegal.

"Grossly inappropriate e-mails" to teenage boys, basicly asking for sexual activites/desires. What's the difference in that and the arrests made on TV in the NBC predator program? His e-mails alone are proof enough for an arrest, which I suppose will occur after the investigation.

"Grossly inappropriate e-mails" to teenage boys, basicly asking for sexual activites/desires. What's the difference in that and the arrests made on TV in the NBC predator program? His e-mails alone are proof enough for an arrest, which I suppose will occur after the investigation.

You might "know" that Foley is a predator in the same way that you "know" that the provocatively dressed woman hanging out at the street corner is a prostitute but until they cross the line into what is illegal you can not arrest them. If Foley actually requested sex from an underage boy (an illegal act) then I would assume that they could arrest him just like they can arrest a prostitute as soon as she agrees to perform an act at a specific price (also an illegal act). However, as much as it might seem that it ought to be, graphic discussions that do no include physical contact or the request for physical contact might not be illegal. Perhaps you are aware of details that I am not, but right now it's not clear to me exactly how far Foley went so it's unclear to me if he should be immediately arrested.

Wait and see - this will be spun in a way that makes it look like Foley was "entrapped" by the 16-year old.

PS:

"It's vile. It's more sad than anything else, to see someone with such potential throw it all down the drain because of a sexual addiction." Rep. Mark Foley, R-West Palm Beach, on Bill Clinton - 1998

That's not what I said at all. These discussions would go much better if you didn't make such childish replies to serious posts.

I assume that you have not seen the transcripts of some of these emails or you would not try to defend this pedofile. Foley knows he's quility or he would not have stepped down so quickly. If the shoe was on the other foot do you want us to believe that you would not make it an issue as well. I am sure you never had any comments on Clinton's affair. Big diference in an affair and sexual misconduct with a young boy. My point is we expect the

"blame the Dems" angle when all you hear from the leaders of your party when they disagree is "cut and run" or "appeasers" or "on the side of terrorist".

I assume that you have not seen the transcripts of some of these emails or you would not try to defend this pedofile. Foley knows he's quility or he would not have stepped down so quickly. If the shoe was on the other foot do you want us to believe that you would not make it an issue as well. I am sure you never had any comments on Clinton's affair. Big diference in an affair and sexual misconduct with a young boy. My point is we expect the

"blame the Dems" angle when all you hear from the leaders of your party when they disagree is "cut and run" or "appeasers" or "on the side of terrorist".

Again, WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT???? No one, especially myself is defending Foley! Try actually reading my posts before you criticize me.

I assume that you have not seen the transcripts of some of these emails or you would not try to defend this pedofile. Foley knows he's quility or he would not have stepped down so quickly. If the shoe was on the other foot do you want us to believe that you would not make it an issue as well. I am sure you never had any comments on Clinton's affair. Big diference in an affair and sexual misconduct with a young boy.

So DD you already have it as a full blown affair and sexual misconduct. With what's been released so far that's quite a leap even by your standards.

Foley's IM and e-mails are disgusting. He definitely should have resigned and IF IT IS FOUND that he engaged in criminal activity he should be prosecuted. Just like Clinton should have been for committing perjury.

Actually, the report was released last week, not in the 70's. And I blame Bush, (not blaim) Bush. Just a little help from one of us uneducated liberals.

Also based on this post you probably shouldn't endeavor to correct another poster's spelling.

Again, WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT???? No one, especially myself is defending Foley! Try actually reading my posts before you criticize me.

Ok, If one of your employees comes to you and tells you that another employee is sending sexually harassing emails, would you confront the accused and tell them to knock it off or would you ask the accuser to produce the emails?

Most of us would do the latter, but it appears GOP leadership chose the former and the abuse esculated.

I also think both sides have shovels full of dirt waiting for an opportunity.

I Googled up the Instant Messages that Foley and the boy were sending back and forth to each other.

Without question, Foley is a pedophile and I don't think the alchohol is his root problem (no pun intended).

I have to say though, that the 16 year old page was not lily white in this fiasco either. It is easy to see why his parents didn't want this stuff to get out, and were willing to simply walk away from it, assuming that it would cease.

Frances

I would think that it is reasonable to believe that both parties were well aware of Foley's indiscretions. The Republicans hoped to keep it quiet at least until after the election., The Democrats held it until an opportune time for strictly political purposes.

The sad fact is that neither party cares one iota about the page/pages. Both merely play the politics. Of course, the same can be said about all of our issues from the war to social security to abortion to whatever else you wish to mention.

I would think that it is reasonable to believe that both parties were well aware of Foley's indiscretions. The Republicans hoped to keep it quiet at least until after the election., The Democrats held it until an opportune time for strictly political purposes.

The sad fact is that neither party cares one iota about the page/pages. Both merely play the politics. Of course, the same can be said about all of our issues from the war to social security to abortion to whatever else you wish to mention.

Hit the nail right on the head.