BGP QOTD: Pickles - What kind do you prefer?

Colonels_Wear_Blue

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Salt pickles?

Lol

I've always heard them called salt pickles or refrigerator pickles.

Basically a mixture of salt, water and vinegar (no dill) poured over sliced cucumbers and onions and left in a jar for a couple weeks.

Lol

I've always heard them called salt pickles or refrigerator pickles.

Basically a mixture of salt, water and vinegar (no dill) poured over sliced cucumbers and onions and left in a jar for a couple weeks.

Hmm...I might have to give that a try. I've got a couple of pickling cucumber plants that are currently days from being ready to unload enough for 6 or 8 jars.

Hmm...I might have to give that a try. I've got a couple of pickling cucumber plants that are currently days from being ready to unload enough for 6 or 8 jars.

They're very good.

10 or 11 cups of water depending on how salty you like them. 1 cup of salt 1 cup of vinegar.

Boil them together, mix them well and dump the brine over a layer of sliced onions and speared cucumbers in a mason jar.

Let them sit in the refrigerator a couple weeks and enjoy.

They're very good.

10 or 11 cups of water depending on how salty you like them. 1 cup of salt 1 cup of vinegar.

Boil them together, mix them well and dump the brine over a layer of sliced onions and speared cucumbers in a mason jar.

Let them sit in the refrigerator a couple weeks and enjoy.

We call these refrigerator pickles. My daughter can't get enough of them!

Do you go by a similar recipe ?

Yes but they don't wait weeks to eat them; usually just a day or two. I'll have to ask Mr. Cat if he boils the vinegar or not. I want to say he just cuts everything up, adds some vinegar and lets them sit. I don't eat them so I'm not positive of that.