Simon Kenton's Ally Niece Injures Knee

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear about Ally's misfortune. Because of her positive attitude and strong will to succeed, I am sure she will have a bright future in whatever she does. Hopefully, her recovery will be speedy and successful.

What muscles do you need to work in order to prevent acl tears?

I can't name the muscles targeted but I can name some of the movements. Leg presses. Single knee bends. Leg lifts (vertical and lateral). Plyometric band leg extensions. Running is waist deep water.

I can't name the muscles targeted but I can name some of the movements. Leg presses. Single knee bends. Leg lifts (vertical and lateral). Plyometric band leg extensions. Running is waist deep water.

Ok. I;m not sure what a single knee bend is though.

I do hope she makes a speedy recovery but doesn't rush back before she is ready just to play her senior year. I am sure she would to do that and who wouldn't but rather her fully recover before she starts her career at NKU.

My daughter has done both knees. One in 7th grade and the other during summer leading up to senior year. Therefore I have way more knowledge than I care to. I remember both times the doctors specifically talking about how important the quad(thigh) muscle was to protecting the ACL. Coach Duncan, new football coach at Paducah Tilghman, use to be at Murray High and was psycho about the guys doing lunges, for lots of reasons, but specifically for protecting against ACL injuries. My daughters second ACL came in the last game of the last day of June ball so I have a perticular distaste for that season. In reality it could happen anytime I guess. She had no "collateral" damage. Just a plain ACL tear. Repair surgery was done July 8th and she was back in the court by January 1. Any additional damage to other ligaments or meniscus would not have allowed for that. She took it pretty slow but was playing full time before districts came around. I've been told that was probably the best it could/should have been so she was lucky.

My daughter has done both knees. One in 7th grade and the other during summer leading up to senior year. Therefore I have way more knowledge than I care to. I remember both times the doctors specifically talking about how important the quad(thigh) muscle was to protecting the ACL. Coach Duncan, new football coach at Paducah Tilghman, use to be at Murray High and was psycho about the guys doing lunges, for lots of reasons, but specifically for protecting against ACL injuries. My daughters second ACL came in the last game of the last day of June ball so I have a perticular distaste for that season. In reality it could happen anytime I guess. She had no "collateral" damage. Just a plain ACL tear. Repair surgery was done July 8th and she was back in the court by January 1. Any additional damage to other ligaments or meniscus would not have allowed for that. She took it pretty slow but was playing full time before districts came around. I've been told that was probably the best it could/should have been so she was lucky.

You are correct, the quad muscles are very important, so are the core (stomach) muscles, doing jumping drills to teach girls how to land properly are also very important!!

Anyone know if this was a contact or non-contact injury?

No contact..doing a jump stop to shoot a pull up and the knee gave out....brighter note..saw Ally tonight..looked good, was in good spirits, showed me the knee.. wounds from surgery healing up nicely...not weight bearing yet..said she hopes to be soon.

No contact..doing a jump stop to shoot a pull up and the knee gave out....brighter note..saw Ally tonight..looked good, was in good spirits, showed me the knee.. wounds from surgery healing up nicely...not weight bearing yet..said she hopes to be soon.

Thanks for the update - I hate to hear about injuries, especially for HS kids. I am sure Ally will work hard in her rehab and I hope she makes it back for part of her senior year at SK. More importantly - I hope she heals fully and can look forward to achieving any sports-related goals beyond HS.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Knees just was not made to play basketball 12 months out of the year. Boys should play Baseball and girls should play Volleyball and or softball. When I grew up, AAU was not around and ACL was nearly heard of.

Completely disagree. Knees get torn up just as much in softball and volleyball. Playing three sports is not how you get better in the one sport you like/are great at. I'm so tired of the "when I grew up..." observations. Times are different now and athletes have way more opportunities to specialize if they so choose. It's better to be great in one sport than good in three if you want to play in college.