It's happening!!! Mayweather vs. McGregor Official

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Conor's performance at the Toronto presser and Floyd's response were over the top disrespectful. I thought it was shameful behavior. Total and complete disrespect of others--even the promoter. I have no use for such behavior.

Conor went too far and nearly got himself in trouble with those who would take offense to his taunt as racist. I don't think he intended it that way at all. He doesn't know the connotations of things here in the states.

He was belittling Floyd for dressing like a 12 year old break dancer--chains, oversized-ball cap turned on his head, T-shirt, etc. That's funny stuff, I suppose. But then he said, "Dance for me, boy." I know that this was unintentional in that he was free styling. This was unscripted and he was building on stuff he said as he went. So when he referred to Mayweather as a 12 year old break dancer, his next comment, designed to further belittle his opponent was, "Dance for me, boy." I know he didn't realize that the term "boy" has a history as a racist term used by whites to belittle black men in the past. And the thing about "dance for me" also plays into racist stereotypes. The allusion to racist taunts was unintentional by Conor. I'm glad it doesn't seem to have picked up much traction. I put it down to him being from overseas and not knowing how that may sound in America as well as him free styling and building off his previous statements.

The behavior of both men was not in the spirit of competition. It was beyond anything I've seen. Conor especially so because he started it by parading around and getting more and more personal and in the face of Floyd and of Bob Arum. No true martial artist would act like that towards someone willing to step into the ring and compete at a dangerous sport.

I hope that young people watching that would not think that's the way competitors are to act. Just very shameful.

I don't think it was unintentional at all. That was all part of the "show".

I don't see that at all. He was free styling and didn't realize the racist connotation, imo. Conor is a jerk, and much worse, but I doubt he's a racist.

He may not be a racist; I don't know. The show he put on though was deliberate. It's all a part of the show to draw people in and get them fired up about the fight. He knew exactly what he was doing.

Just curious....Is this your first fight?! :lol2:

I don't see that at all. He was free styling and didn't realize the racist connotation, imo. Conor is a jerk, and much worse, but I doubt he's a racist.

We are giving Conor way too much credit. I think he is too stupid to realize what he was saying could be taken as racist

@lawildcat I know it was deliberate. It was obvious as soon as he came out strutting like a peacock that he intended to go after Mayweather and ruffle his feathers. Also to convince people that he thinks he can win (he doesn't have a snowball's chance). He's ginning up the crowd to purchase ppv, etc.

The only part I think was not intentional is that he didn't know his comment could be construed as racist. I don't think he had a script. He doesn't need one. McGregor is second only to Ali in self-confidence oozing banter. I think he saw Floyd's outfit and knew he had a chance to belittle him. He dressed like a 12 year old break dancer. He was right about that if you want to see it as a caricature. That was hilarious and clever. Then to further rub Mayweather's nose in it, he took it a step further--dance for me boy. It was highly disrespectful... Conor ordering Floyd to dance for him like he was a 12 yr old who should take orders from a bully.

The unintentional part was that Conor did not construe the comment as racist, only disrespectful comedy to belittle an opponent and make people believe he has no fear of Mayweather. It's all an act to promote himself and the fight. He just stepped in it with that comment. Later, when questioned abut it, McGregor acted surprised it was taken as a racist comment. Floyd later said, "He better not call me boy again."

Conor goes off script all the time. He is good at smack talk and he doesn't need a script. He literally can out-talk any other fighter. Mayweather also has a big mouth but with the way McGregor went at him you could see Floyd was angry and didn't quite know where to begin when it was his turn with the mic (this was in Toronto).

Oh well. You interpret it as you see it. I have my own viewpoint. We'll never really know because these guys don't tell the truth very much about their persona or the fight game.

• 1 month later...