39 members have voted

1. 1. Which?

• Ford F-150
    • GMC Sierra 1500
    • Chevrolet Silverado 1500
    • Dodge Ram 1500
    • Nissan Titan
    • Toyota Tundra

I own a 2006 Tundra 4x4 crew cab and have never had an issue. Rides like a car. My only issue is the gas mileage, about 14 in the city and I have the smaller 4.6 v-8. I would get another one, but I do not like the shorter beds on the new ones. Mine is 6 1/2 feet.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I own a 2006 Tundra 4x4 crew cab and have never had an issue. Rides like a car. My only issue is the gas mileage, about 14 in the city and I have the smaller 4.6 v-8. I would get another one, but I do not like the shorter beds on the new ones. Mine is 6 1/2 feet.
I have a 2005. Love the truck but have been surprised at how terrible the gas mileage is. Even on the high way it's awful.

I have a Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab. It has the 5.7ltr hemi and 8-speed transmission and 4WD. It is a 2014 model. I have had it for 3 years, and I am happy with it. I think all the trucks are good, but I chose this one because it was the only one with the 8-spd transmission, and the engine which runs on 4-cylinders when not under a load. it is plenty powerful enough to pull my horse trailer up a hill with two fat horses in it at expressway speed, but when not towing and highway cruising gets in the low to mid 20's mpg. I would just as soon drive a little car to work everyday (to park), but I need a truck on a farm.

The only thing I would do differently now is get leather seats in it.

I'm surprised with your gas mileage. I have 34" mud tires on mine, and I get 12.5 mpg on my worst tank. However, the previous owner put this device on the fuel line that is supposed to help with gas mileage. I don't know if it really does anything.

I have a 2005. Love the truck but have been surprised at how terrible the gas mileage is. Even on the high way it's awful.

I was looking to buy a 2005 or 2006 Toyota Tundra. I didn't want a big old truck that sat so high like the newer ones. I liked the body profile of the older Tundras.

I couldn't find the one I wanted, so I bought a 2017 Honda Ridgeline instead. I didn't realize the fuel efficiency of the older Tundras was so poor. My Ridgeline gets 19 city/26 highway.

I wanted to pay a lot less for the pickup, but I am very pleased.

We have owned Ford, Chevy, and GMC trucks/SUVs. Between MrsC, myself, and our boys. All of them went 200,000 plus miles. Just sold my '94 Silvarado last week. 225,000 miles and still going strong.

It is my opinion that all of them (Dodge, Toyota, and Nissan too) will last you a long time if you take care of them.

I can only speak for For and GM because that is all I have owned.

My experience has been that if the comfort and ride are the most important thing to you, then I would go GM they are more comfortable and carlike in their ride and handling.

If you want a truck, feels like a truck, rides like a truck, gonna use it like a truck, then you want a FORD.

You didn't say what you want the pickup to do or what you will use it for. Are you going to drive it like it was a car? Are you going to use it do do work? Will you haul a load of something? Will it be pulling a trailer? Do you need an extended cab because you expect to have multiple passengers?

Answers to these types of questions will help with the advice-giving.

• 2 weeks later...
oldgrappler said:
You didn't say what you want the pickup to do or what you will use it for. Are you going to drive it like it was a car? Are you going to use it do do work? Will you haul a load of something? Will it be pulling a trailer? Do you need an extended cab because you expect to have multiple passengers?

Answers to these types of questions will help with the advice-giving.

Very valid point. Thanks, oldgrappler.

I'm looking to get a crew-cab, and I would prefer 4-wheel drive. I would like to have the ability to pull a boat or camper (travel trailer, not 5th wheel). I would also want to have the ability to haul a load of mulch, topsoil, or whatever is necessary if the duty calls.

Anybody have the aluminum frame ford? Heard painting after a collision is difficult for some shops?
The frame on the Ford is steel.. Only the body is aluminum alloy.. The painting requires a little training...

My best recommendation would be to do what MrsC and I always do - Rent one or two for a weekend trip.

That way you can really drive it and see if you like it.

We were Tahoe/Suburban all the way going into our last purchase. Then we rented an Excursion for a Chicago trip. The FORD ecoboost motor is unbelievable. The ride is not quite as nice but the performance blew the Tahoe away. We ended up with the FORD. Plus I think they are considered better for towing.

I have a Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab. It has the 5.7ltr hemi and 8-speed transmission and 4WD. It is a 2014 model. I have had it for 3 years, and I am happy with it. I think all the trucks are good, but I chose this one because it was the only one with the 8-spd transmission, and the engine which runs on 4-cylinders when not under a load. it is plenty powerful enough to pull my horse trailer up a hill with two fat horses in it at expressway speed, but when not towing and highway cruising gets in the low to mid 20's mpg. I would just as soon drive a little car to work everyday (to park), but I need a truck on a farm.

The only thing I would do differently now is get leather seats in it.

Most trucks now come standard with a VVT (variable valve timing) engine.