Football practice in June

I didn't say it would. But you tried to make the point that doing nothing in June is what wins championships and puts players in college. I pointed out the opposite end of the spectrum

As I said, my school, does 2 days and has rings. Pointing out the opposite end of the spectrum would entail an example of a 5 day week and rings. I haven't heard

you say who that is. When you say 48 points South Oldham springs to mind but I know you aren't that coach. He is on here and has a different name than you do.

Going 2 days a week doesn't keep you from winning championships and doesn't keep kids from playing in college. You can't have a reply to that, it is just a fact.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every kid is different. Different levels of motivation, styles of learning, etc...Each Coach has to know his players and what is going to be needed to accomplish their goals individually and collectively as a team. A veteran team with great leadership, sure time off indeed. A young team/new coach maybe a different scenario. I just don't think one out ways the other. Whatever A coach chooses, of course be effective. Perfect practice makes perfect

We are off from now until June 6. Our team goes Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday for 3 weeks in June and takes a 3 week dead period. 5 day weekends in June are nice...

I know of some others who have gone this route, too. Take off all or most of May, come back in June for a little 2-3 week Mini Camp if you will; then 3 week dead period. I know Lawrence County and John Hardin both do this. Dumb question here....but, good stuff?!

I would say 60 percent of kids love and look forward to all the sports that happened during the summer. I know I loved it going from football in the morning, basketball camp in the afternoon and then usually my summer baseball teams games at night. I was exhausted at the end of each day, but I loved it.

I feel like this is still the same for the majority of kids. Most kids want to and enjoy it. While there may be 40 percent who definitely would like a break, which is fine too. Every kid is different and there is no wrong approach for a kid imo.

The best coaches imo understand this and don't throw fits when kids miss for other sports. Or miss a week of June work because of vacation, etc. They understand this and just roll with it.

So the key is changing some coaches hard nose mindsets in June, rather than getting rid of it all together. Because some kids love it and want to be there, so it's not fair to take it away from them either.

The school I work at gives the players an extra week off for dead period, which imo seems to work great. They still get some work in for June. However they also get a break from the game for usually at least 3 weeks to relax and be a kid before picking back up.

My favorite thing in the world to here is "this guy always does it right"

I disagree, every school is didferent. At Scott Co it may work that they get ALL of June off. I know Trinity practices 4-5 days a week in June. Do they do it wrong? Not for them.

I'm happy Scott Co got a ring, but I know a lot of schools that have multiple rings that practice a lot. Trinity, Highlands, Mayfield, etc I can go on. They practice a lot in June. They all have multiple rings.

But they can get better. Why do you think college athletes hire professional trainers before the draft? Guess they should already have it down as well huh..

You implied that those things are not learned until June...I disagreed, camp season has already begun and if you weren't preparing them long before...it won't matter anyway. NFL prospects dont wait til March to start combine training, they do that as soon as their season is over. Apples to apples on that one buddy. By March/June...they better have those techniques down. Hay is already in the barn. FYI combine training/college prospect training requires one commonality. TALENT. Without it, you are wasting your time.

You implied that those things are not learned until June...I disagreed, camp season has already begun and if you weren't preparing them long before...it won't matter anyway. NFL prospects dont wait til March to start combine training, they do that as soon as their season is over. Apples to apples on that one buddy. By March/June...they better have those techniques down. Hay is already in the barn. FYI combine training/college prospect training requires one commonality. TALENT. Without it, you are wasting your time.

Really? Because camps run all the way through July. Furthermore an athlete can still work on perfecting their techniques during the weeks leading up to combines. The NFL prospects don't stop working in March either do they. No they work all the way to April and beyond to their individual senior days. So to imply that it doesn't matter for ALL athletes is asinine. Hard work beats TALENT when talent doesn't work.

I never implied that you start in June my position is don't take June away from those who want the extra work. Also that June workouts can be and are beneficial to some.

You have been all over the place for your reasoning. First it was because some team gave up 48 in a November game and now you are just going to have your team come in 4-5 days a week so you can be a personal trainer.

My 5'10 200 pound offense guard can work day and night and he not going to beat that 6'6 305 pound DT going to Alabama. WAKE UP MAN!!

It may however help him against the 5 10 200 lb DT that he's more likely to face during the course of the season. You might face kid like you describe once or twice in your whole high school career. You might face a "normal" kid 7 or 8 times a season. You don't stop trying to get better because you might see a monster one week that you have zero chance against. You work to get better so you have a better chance every week.

Really? Because camps run all the way through July. Furthermore an athlete can still work on perfecting their techniques during the weeks leading up to combines. The NFL prospects don't stop working in March either do they. No they work all the way to April and beyond to their individual senior days. So to imply that it doesn't matter for ALL athletes is asinine. Hard work beats TALENT when talent doesn't work.

On some occasions, but I'd say it's a pretty safe assumption that the the basketball players at all the SEC schools other than UK.....the guys who are Sophs, Juniors, Seniors (and, those who have been redshirted in those classes) for the most part; have probably worked a whole hell of a lot harder in their time(s) on campus than those 5* freshmen who are rolling in there from high school/AAU glory days.

That saying is one that makes everybody feel all warm and fuzzy inside more than it is actual reality......I've also never heard the missing piece to that saying; what happens when talent works hard and why is it implied that talent doesn't work hard?

It's kind of like the Snickers commercial guy....

"There is No 'I' in team."

"...ain't no 'We' either." :lol2:

Having fun.....good topic.