Football practice in June

Only head coaches get extended days in my district

Count yourself lucky...those are very few and far between even in KY. But, yep...in GA? Like the end of what Oprah use to do..."You get a car, you get a car, you get a car!" lol Except this is in extended days....coordinators down there at many places get 25-50 extended days; position coaches obviously less days, but they still get them.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ouch! Better be part of that 5%. Still better odds than the 1% that make it to collegiate football��. I'm not saying mandate it, but don't take it away from the ones that want to.

You are trying to make this about college football? This is about HS teams. Having practice 4-5 days a week is a negative for college bound athletes. I'm not sure how many College athletes you have coached but they will be going to camps and going to off campus workout sites and playing in the summer 7-7 stuff if not playing baseball and basketball. We aren't taking anything away from a kid by not asking him to punch the clock 4-5 days a week in June. Jim McKee has been used as an example. He's doing all right. I have others if you need them.

You are trying to make this about college football? This is about HS teams. Having practice 4-5 days a week is a negative for college bound athletes. I'm not sure how many College athletes you have coached but they will be going to camps and going to off campus workout sites and playing in the summer 7-7 stuff if not playing baseball and basketball. We aren't taking anything away from a kid by not asking him to punch the clock 4-5 days a week in June. Jim McKee has been used as an example. He's doing all right. I have others if you need them.

So when are these kids supposed to work on the activities requested of them at theses senior day camps and so on? I guess they just naturally know how to run a good 40, just blessed with great cover skills, born with proper throwing mechanics, gifted with ball skills...That's been my argument, some kids want the extra work.

So when are these kids supposed to work on the activities requested of them at theses senior day camps and so on? I guess they just naturally know how to run a good 40, just blessed with great cover skills, born with proper throwing mechanics, gifted with ball skills...That's been my argument, some kids want the extra work.

preach

Furthermore my position is against saying "see you in July". For some June matters.

Ruh, Ruh, manly roaaar!

As I said McKee is off the whole month of June. He has a 6a ring. He has multiple college players. My team practices 2 days a week in June for an hour and a half. We do NOT run shuttles, 40's, and practice verticals. We have rings, we have multiple college players.

(the law of) diminishing returns

phrase of diminish

used to refer to a point at which the level of profits or benefits gained is less than the amount of money or energy invested.

True. But depends on what your perception of benefits gained is...Could be my perception that if said team had spent a little more time on technical coaching in June then maybe you don't give up 48 pts in the state semifinals. Ijs

True. But depends on what your perception of benefits gained is...Could be my perception that if said team had spent a little more time on technical coaching in June then maybe you don't give up 48 pts in the state semifinals. Ijs

Just because your coach did something one way and you WANT it to be right doesn't make it right. Here's what I suggest. Poll the state championship coaches from the last 5 years. Contact all of them. Ask what they do in June. I've already told you how 2 of them do it.

The fact that you think practicing 4-5 days a week in June has anything to do with giving up 48 points the 4th week of November tells me all I need to know.

If that's not being done the entire workout season, then they're not going to get it in June since the camps start this month and run through July. The extra work comes December through May and tappers off June...hay's in the barn for camps and offsite workouts by then.

The fact that you think practicing 4-5 days a week in June has anything to do with giving up 48 points the 4th week of November tells me all I need to know.

I didn't say it would. But you tried to make the point that doing nothing in June is what wins championships and puts players in college. I pointed out the opposite end of the spectrum

If that's not being done the entire workout season, then they're not going to get it in June since the camps start this month and run through July. The extra work comes December through May and tappers off June...hay's in the barn for camps and offsite workouts by then.

But they can get better. Why do you think college athletes hire professional trainers before the draft? Guess they should already have it down as well huh..