Football practice in June

Haha. I don't know about the quotes. It is implied that you be there at as much as possible in order for us all to get better. With that being said, we work with other sports to avoid burnout in those kids doing multiple sports in June. There is no punishment for missing because attendance is not taken. We encourage our kids and parents to schedule vacations before dead period. Everything installed during this time is repeated in July, so no one misses any instruction.

As coaches, we have a duty to make sure our athletes are in condition to practice in the heat and compete at the appropriate level. There is special emphasis on this post-dead period. IMO, if we were to do nothing football related mid-May to July 10, I would be in violation of my duty to my kids.

I agree the kids need to get acclimated to the heat. Say school ends today May 15th and nothing football related until July 10th. I would worry about putting a kid out there in the heat of summer. But an easy fix to that would be push the start of football season back.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have been all over the place for your reasoning. First it was because some team gave up 48 in a November game and now you are just going to have your team come in 4-5 days a week so you can be a personal trainer.

Nice spin lol. Bottom line is some believe that June practices are irrelevant and some believe they are relevant. There's just as much pro for June practice as there is con. You sir just refuse to acknowledge the benefits. But the twist on my comments was hilarious, like I really laughed out loud!

True. But depends on what your perception of benefits gained is...Could be my perception that if said team had spent a little more time on technical coaching in June then maybe you don't give up 48 pts in the state semifinals. Ijs

Its not called spin when you wrote it and posted it.

So when are these kids supposed to work on the activities requested of them at theses senior day camps and so on? I guess they just naturally know how to run a good 40, just blessed with great cover skills, born with proper throwing mechanics, gifted with ball skills...That's been my argument, some kids want the extra work.

Really? Because camps run all the way through July. Furthermore an athlete can still work on perfecting their techniques during the weeks leading up to combines. The NFL prospects don't stop working in March either do they. No they work all the way to April and beyond to their individual senior days. So to imply that it doesn't matter for ALL athletes is asinine. Hard work beats TALENT when talent doesn't work.

Lol, just validates my point. You can't practice combine drills during the combine...that's called a test. Lol...good one though. Hard work with no talent NEVER beats talent that won't work hard (except in movies, and those make ya feel good..but not how sports works). At the end of the day, the NFL and most major colleges couldn't care less how hard Johnny works if he runs a 5.0 40. Welcome to reality. But it makes for a nice bumper sticker though. I stand by my point, if you wait til June to work on being prepared for the camps...you don't have to worry about camps. If you believe 5 more 40's is going to get you down .5 second then you are in fantasy land. June's relevance is small, has less impact than any other month in preparation for the season. But it sounds great to those coaches in the hotel rooms going to watch the finals vs the ones playing in them.

In response to your post...Not like I came out stating that if you don't practice in June then you will give up 48pts. You wanted to bring in rings and plays offs as it correlates to summer practice "an outlier of a comparison imo" so I mentioned the fact that the time off didn't help either. Because if what you do in June matters for rings then it should matter for giving up 48 to a team that turned around and got smoked by a team the practices in June. Ijs

Nick Saban: 'I've learned you can't work all the time. That used to be a problem'

“We’ve learned through the years you can’t work all the time, which used to be a problem for me,” Saban said. “We take advantage of the little time we have in the summer, and it’s been very beneficial.”

“Through the years, I’ve had to learn, maybe the hard way sometimes. Balance is really healthy in anything that you do. I actually think it’s now better for family, staff, staff’s family and me personally.

Lol, just validates my point. You can't practice combine drills during the combine...that's called a test. Lol...good one though. Hard work with no talent NEVER beats talent that won't work hare. At the end of the day, the NFL and most major college could care less how hard Johnny works if he runs a 5.0 40. Welcome to reality. But it makes for a nice bumper sticker though. I stand by my point, if you wait til June to work on being prepared for the camps...you don't have to worry about camps. If you believe 5 more 40's is going to get you down .5 second then you are in fantasy land. June's relevance is small, has less impact than any other month. IMO.

What do you mean? For instance if I plan to attend a senior day camp let's say two weeks from now, am I supposed to sit on my butt for two weeks then go perform?

What do you mean? For instance if I plan to attend a senior day camp let's say two weeks from now, am I supposed to sit on my butt for two weeks then go perform?

Ill break this down for ya as simple as I can. If you rep the pro shuttle 3 times a week from January through May 31st and take 2 weeks off to allow your body to rest and heal, you will outperform someone who waits til May 31st to work on the pro shuttle and works hard for 2 weeks that has all the same genetic potential that you do. Muscle memory works like that, kinda why you can still ride a bike after not riding one for a few years. Remember, this is in response to you asking when are they supposed to practice to get ready for camps? I pointed out the previous 5 months...ya picking up what I'm laying down here? June will not have an effect on the whole camp thing one way or another if you did/didn't do anything all work out season.

Ill break this down for ya as simple as I can. If you rep the pro shuttle 3 times a week from January through May 31st and take 2 weeks off to allow your body to rest and heal, you will outperform someone who waits til May 31st to work on the pro shuttle and works hard for 2 weeks that has all the same genetic potential that you do. Muscle memory works like that, kinda why you can still ride a bike after not riding one for a few years. Remember, this is in response to you asking when are they supposed to practice to get ready for camps? I pointed out the previous 5 months...ya picking up what I'm laying down here? June will not have an effect on the whole camp thing one way or another if you did/didn't do anything all work out season.

Ok I see where you coming from. But what about those who play other sports that don't do travel ball or AAU? What about the kids that have had to work? Noticed I said June helps some. Not to mention the kids that are not camping that I frankly don't trust outta my sight for a month. I'm not saying June is a cure all. But I can teach you a proper stance to run in, tricks of the trade to improve your time. Work on Tech/Timing with my QB. Improve route running wr. No difference than the QB like Deshaun Watson going out to Cali for 1 week with a coach.

In June we'll go TWT. Lift from 8-9:15, speed and agility until 10:15, and practice until 11:30. Mix in a few 7v7 tournaments, a two day contact camp, and a 3 day FCA contact camp right before the July 4th break.

We'll go to 5 days a week after the break.

I'd like to get rid of the 7v7 tournaments and just do the contact camps, but I'm a DL guy.

We do mostly lifting in June, 3 days a week, with some skill work after. I would be ok with going one more day and making it skill work only. The benefit in my eyes in June is for basic technique work and potential football IQ work on the individual position basis.

These in my opinion have been the weakest unexpected points on all 3 teams I have been apart of so far. They need help with their stance, start, and footwork. And they need work on football IQ including playbook, situation, and understanding their roles as well as the other players around them.

If we can use June to run through these basic drills and introduce the drills we will be doing on a daily basis come July, so that I don't have to spend 5 minutes explaining the drill we can save that time and drills become more fluid in July and the focus becomes more about the technique the drill is meant to work toward rather than understanding the mechanics of how to do the drill.

These are the main reasons I think June is beneficial. Then when we return in July less time is spent in Indy periods and more in team periods to prepare for season start.