Football practice in June

Don't know which kids some of you are talking about but the ones I'm in contact with can't wait for school to be out so that they can concentrate on their sport. I'm not going to tell the kids "no. Go take a month and half break". These kids aren't competing with the KY athletes they are competing with the Florida and southern athletes. Those athletes who train yr around. Times have changed, the game is much more competitive, kids are bigger and much faster, hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously anytime anyone talks about "voluntary" workouts in the summer quotation marks should be used.

Haha. I don't know about the quotes. It is implied that you be there at as much as possible in order for us all to get better. With that being said, we work with other sports to avoid burnout in those kids doing multiple sports in June. There is no punishment for missing because attendance is not taken. We encourage our kids and parents to schedule vacations before dead period. Everything installed during this time is repeated in July, so no one misses any instruction.

As coaches, we have a duty to make sure our athletes are in condition to practice in the heat and compete at the appropriate level. There is special emphasis on this post-dead period. IMO, if we were to do nothing football related mid-May to July 10, I would be in violation of my duty to my kids.

Don't know which kids some of you are talking about but the ones I'm in contact with can't wait for school to be out so that they can concentrate on their sport. I'm not going to tell the kids "no. Go take a month and half break". These kids aren't competing with the KY athletes they are competing with the Florida and southern athletes. Those athletes who train yr around. Times have changed, the game is much more competitive, kids are bigger and much faster, hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work.

Talk about comparing apples and oranges......Us compared to Florida, Georgia, Alabama. We've never been on their level and never will.....population and the demographics within that will always give them the trump card; forever and ever. Now...Tennessee? Sure. We have and do.....a little more comparison there in terms of populations.

But, you're right....that's who we try to compete with.

Us trying to compete with Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Texas, etc is about like hoping our best 1A can compete/beat our best 5A/6A on any kind of a regular basis.....not going to happen.

Another thing.....from a coaching side of things; those other states to our south (specifically Georgia and Alabama) get those little golden nuggets called "Extended Days" & in bulk. lol Their time in June/July is very much compensated.

Here? Where these slap in the face stipends (especially for assistant coaches) haven't so much as changed (and in some cases decreased b/c of extended days being taken away) in the last 20-30 years? Not so much.....

Another thing.....from a coaching side of things; those other states to our south (specifically Georgia and Alabama) get those little golden nuggets called "Extended Days" & in bulk. lol Their time in June/July is very much compensated.

Here? Where these slap in the face stipends (especially for assistant coaches) haven't so much as changed (and in some cases decreased b/c of extended days being taken away) in the last 20-30 years? Not so much.....

Wait, assistant coaches get extended days?! :ohbrother:

IF the KHSAA were concerned about sports in our state they would mandate a dead period from the ending of softball/baseball state tourney through July 10th. I maybe in the minority here, but saving these kids from burnout needs to be an addressed issue. Heck, kids are playing 100 plus baseball games a year now starting in little league with spring baseball, summer ball, and fall travel ball...can't imagine why they don't play by the time they are getting to high school. It's a shame really.

As Harry Doyle told me a few posts ago....play on playa...preach.

Furthermore, many of those schools offer multiple athletics periods where Johnny gets to practice during the school day, he doesn't have to stay an additional 3-4 hours after school. It's a complete advantage that KY will never go to. We aren't even playing in the same realm as those states down south. Wanna compete with those guys, move there...it's the reality...unfortunately.

Furthermore, many of those schools offer multiple athletics periods where Johnny gets to practice during the school day, he doesn't have to stay an additional 3-4 hours after school. It's a complete advantage that KY will never go to. We aren't even playing in the same realm as those states down south. Wanna compete with those guys, move there...it's the reality...unfortunately.

Yep. That too.....EXaaaactly.

But the manly men will still practice 4-5 days a week in June. 2 things will happen to 95% of them.

A. The roster will be smaller and someone will pontificate on how todays kids are soft.

B. In early to late November they will be free to go watch some playoff games and on the drive there they can talk about how they just need to practice more.

But the manly men will still practice 4-5 days a week in June. 2 things will happen to 95% of them.

A. The roster will be smaller and someone will pontificate on how todays kids are soft.

B. In early to late November they will be free to go watch some playoff games and on the drive there they can talk about how they just need to practice more.

:laugh:

Ouch! Better be part of that 5%. Still better odds than the 1% that make it to collegiate football. I'm not saying mandate it, but don't take it away from the ones that want to.

Can vouch for that. Played baseball in Ft. Walton last spring break. One game was at Ft. Walton HS. Football field is beside the baseball field. Skill players were on the football field running routes/ 7 on 7 during most of the baseball game that started at noon......on Thursday.

Ouch! Better be part of that 5%. Still better odds than the 1% that make it to collegiate football��. I'm not saying mandate it, but don't take it away from the ones that want to.

I think most will agree that the 95% will be driving to watch the 5% regardless of how many practices are held and when. It boils down to what you do not how much you do. Doing the wrong thing repeatedly ain't going to make you better.....