BGP QOTD: What's the stupidest way you've ever hurt yourself?

When I was younger, I was always afraid to light our gas grill. One day, I went out to light it, turned on the gas, lit the lighter while taking a few steps backward, so I wouldn't blow up. Suddenly, it made that "poof" sound that it makes when it lights. I jumped backwards even more and fell down a flight of concrete steps that goes to our basement.

Scared the heck out of me because I literally could have broken my neck. Luckily, I only had scrapes and bruises. Strangely, after that, I was never afraid to light the grill again.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of years ago, I was running late at night and I was about 7.5 miles into a 10 mile run. I was along a deserted stretch and approaching a bridge around Laurel Lake. I closed my eyes for maybe 5 or 6 seconds and drifted into a concrete barrier on the bridge. It made a deep gash on my right shin. After taking a couple of minutes to collect myself( there was the pain plus the anger at my stupidity), I continued on the for the last 2.5 miles with my shredded leg squirting blood. I had it sewed up the next morning.

The lesson I learned the hard way : closing your eyes when you lie in your bed at night is a good thing; closing your eyes when you are meditating is a good thing. But closing your eyes while you are running is never, ever a good thing.

How many of these accidents started with. "Hey, hold my beer and watch this"?

Mine was when I was younger we snuck into a vacant house and were checking it out. He heard sirens and a car door slam. We thought it was the cops. Scrambled to get out of the house and went through a broken window and cut the heck out of my pinky finger about 2 days before I was heading to Camp Marydale. Still have a nasty scar.

Where I went to high school was a bullying free-for-all to the freshmen. There were all kinds of games that ended up getting one punched...in the arm, in the sternum or whatever. I always went home with bruises as did many. Finally, at the end of the year, last day of school in fact, I had enough, and a guy hit me too hard for my liking, and I reflexively wailed him....broke my hand. Spent the first four weeks of summer in a cast.

I'll jump in with the 2 stupidest ways I hurt myself.

Took my oldest daughter fishing and as luck would have it she caught a decent size bass on her first cast. She couldn't take the hook out, so with her still holding the fishing rod, I tried to grab the fish with my right hand (i'm right handed) and proceeded to get the upper set of a hook stuck past the barb into my hand. The fish was still hooked and so was I. Hurt like the devil with the fish flopping around and me still attached. Finally got the fish unhooked with my other hand. Went to the house and had no option but to use a needle nose pliers and push the needle thru and then cut it. Ouch

Second was...I was giving a cat a shot and nothing would come out. It was clogged somehow and was a new needle. I stupidly thought there must be some tissue or something clogging it, so I put a empty syringe and pulled back about 2cc of air and put on the bad needle. I wanted to see what was clogged so i was doing it over my hand so I could see. Darn thing was really clogged, I pushed as hard as I could and the needle shot into my palm like a blow dart. Hurt like the devil.

I'll jump in with the 2 stupidest ways I hurt myself.

Took my oldest daughter fishing and as luck would have it she caught a decent size bass on her first cast. She couldn't take the hook out, so with her still holding the fishing rod, I tried to grab the fish with my right hand (i'm right handed) and proceeded to get the upper set of a hook stuck past the barb into my hand. The fish was still hooked and so was I. Hurt like the devil with the fish flopping around and me still attached. Finally got the fish unhooked with my other hand. Went to the house and had no option but to use a needle nose pliers and push the needle thru and then cut it. Ouch

Second was...I was giving a cat a shot and nothing would come out. It was clogged somehow and was a new needle. I stupidly thought there must be some tissue or something clogging it, so I put a empty syringe and pulled back about 2cc of air and put on the bad needle. I wanted to see what was clogged so i was doing it over my hand so I could see. Darn thing was really clogged, I pushed as hard as I could and the needle shot into my palm like a blow dart. Hurt like the devil.

PRmvaYj.gif