BGP QOTD: What's the stupidest way you've ever hurt yourself?

I've got a trick shoulder from an injury in my high school football days. Back in college, the office I worked in had 4 enormous pine trees right outside the back door. One of the pine cones managed to make its way in through the back door one afternoon, and I picked it up and carried it out with me as I left after work...chucked it overhand into the grassy area by the parking lot, and bam...shoulder came out of socket. Usually I could get it back in on my own, but I couldn't that time. Had to go to the hospital and have it put back into socket.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a junior in high school I tried to knock a mailbox down with my bare hand as we drove slowly by. Nearly ripped my arm off. Just plain stupid!

There is absolutely no rational explanation why I even tried. I wasn't drunk, high or anything, just testosterone imbibed.

When I was 3 I thought I could move a wheel-barrow full of sand by myself. That idea resulted in a broken tibia and fibula.

More recently, I injured my shoulder celebrating the Patriots Super Bowl win and couldn't lift my right arm above my head for almost two weeks. :lol2: I blame it on the beer.

I managed to cut my finger (not badly enough for it to probably count) ripping a chunk of saran wrap off the box.

I sliced the tip of my finger off using a mandolin a couple years ago.

I sliced my thumb up to the point of 5-6 stitches opening up a can of soup when I was in middle school.

Wife no longer allows me around sharp objects.

This happened fairly recently. I took out the trash, walking it from the kitchen to the outside garbage cans. I started slinging the trash bag around haphazardly without a care in the world…. knowing full well it contained the shards of a glass bowl that had just cracked. The garbage bag grazed my leg and the glass sliced right into my thigh. It was nasty, lots of blood and I’m still salty about ruining my favorite pair of yoga pants.

When I was about 4 I was holding a lit sparkler on the 4th of July and was warned time and again by my parents and older siblings to never touch the red hot tip after it burned out, and to place it in the bucket of water to make sure that it went out, or that no body would step on it.

Knowing full good and well that it was going to hurt, I still couldn't help myself and wanted to see for sure by pressing the tips of my thumb and index finger right onto the red hot tip of the sparkler, making me immediately let out a scream from the sizzle while being left with a nasty blister on both fingers.

Of course I was yelled at and reminded that I had been forewarned, and asked why the hell I did it anyway.

All that I could say was "I just wanted to see for myself what would happen".

Needless to say I had learned the hard way, and never did anything stupid like that again. Though ahead of doing it I had a good hunch what would happen, but for some crazy reason I did it anyway.

We had a large three wick candle that was burning unevenly, which for some reason bothered me. So I grab a sharp knife and start hacking away to even out this candle. The knife gets a little stuck in a thicker chunk of wax, I push harder, knife breaks through the wax and right into the base of my thumb. My first trip to the ER and I came home with stitches.

Working at Wendy's in Alexandria the summer after my senior year of high school. I was taking money at the drive thru, cooking chicken, baking breadsticks, & washing dishes during lunch rush. Oven dinged for me to get the breadsticks out, and without thinking, I reached my bare hand into the oven to get the pan and severely burned my palm. Had a huge blister on my hand for quite a while.

Playing dizzy bat during beer Olympics. Swear I did some damage to my shoulder but never went to get it looked at.

Wow. Ditto. Dizzy bat back in college was very dangerous for me. Busted up my knee and took a big chunk of skin off my forearm. Managed to find a tiny patch of concrete that pretty far off the regular course.

Working at Wendy's in Alexandria the summer after my senior year of high school. I was taking money at the drive thru, cooking chicken, baking breadsticks, & washing dishes during lunch rush. Oven dinged for me to get the breadsticks out, and without thinking, I reached my bare hand into the oven to get the pan and severely burned my palm. Had a huge blister on my hand for quite a while.

Whoa, when did Wendy's have breadsticks?