NKU Student Faked Cancer?

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She's not IMO. I don't believe making someone serve a lengthy prison sentence in a mental ward is compassion. Do you?

I don't know what you mean by a mental ward. It's a rather outdated and ambiguous term. I believe she should be punished by the legal system (I haven't seen one person say this shouldn't happen. Everyone seems to be in agreement that she deserves to be held accountable). However, I also believe she should receive the psychiatric treatment she needs so that she can get better. And I also hope that she can some day move on with her life in a positive way.

Kinda feel like all the people and groups that help her raise money for her fake cause are responsible as well. I get it they got duped, but isnt it your job if you are going to fund raise for someone or a cause to vet the person/cause?

Kinda feel like all the people and groups that help her raise money for her fake cause are responsible as well. I get it they got duped, but isnt it your job if you are going to fund raise for someone or a cause to vet the person/cause?

I feel no such responsibility. I attended a Cancer fund raiser last weekend as well and have no idea where that money went. Local fundraisers are nearly impossible to vet. Joining in community efforts are rewarding enough for me. Hopefully the monies reach their mark

1. This young lady committed a crime that made the local news.

2. This young lady is an adult.

3. Sane people commit crimes.

4. Mentally ill people commit crimes.

5. Sane people's crimes are discussed in social media--it happens.

6. Mentally ill people's crimes are discussed in social media--it happens.

7. Some people, sane or mentally ill, may steal $7k from their school, from their place of business, from a bank, from their family members, and/or by faking cancer.

8. At the end of the day it is still STEALING. It is a crime.

NKU’s Greek orgs (and many, many others) came together to pray, raise money, and generally rally around this young lady. It was awesome to see the compassion and efforts of this young community.

That is the good that I look toward when reflecting on the situation. Youth bounces back… if nothing else, NKU has had an interesting year.

Now that the shock has worn off – I do feel for Kelly’s family and loved ones. I truly hope Kelly gets the help she needs battling those demons.

I don't know how else to say it. I don't care what her reason was. I don't care if she has a mental illness, was bullied, has dementia, is just plain evil, or any other myriad of excuses. There are some things, IMO, that are simply indefensible. This is one of them.

Let me ask you a question...that cute little bundle of joy in your avatar grows up, develops borderline personality disorder, and tells the Greek community at his college that he has cancer in order to get them to fundraise and give him money. He gets caught.

What is the appropriate punishment for your mentally ill son?

Let me ask you a question...that cute little bundle of joy in your avatar grows up, develops borderline personality disorder, and tells the Greek community at his college that he has cancer in order to get them to fundraise and give him money. He gets caught.

What is the appropriate punishment for your mentally ill son?

The same as is appropriate for this girl.

Short answer to your question. Not at all.

1. This young lady committed a crime that made the local news.

2. This young lady is an adult.

3. Sane people commit crimes.

4. Mentally ill people commit crimes.

5. Sane people's crimes are discussed in social media--it happens.

6. Mentally ill people's crimes are discussed in social media--it happens.

7. Some people, sane or mentally ill, may steal $7k from their school, from their place of business, from a bank, from their family members, and/or by faking cancer.

8. At the end of the day it is still STEALING. It is a crime.

This news breaks two months later it would have probably been a heck of a lot more than $7K too. Probably good that it came to light when it did.

If mentally ill people are going to be given compassion for committing a crime, then why wouldn't all criminals who fake cancer, murder someone, etc. say they had a mental illness to get "compassion" from the general public and not face as harsh punishment?

The girl committed a crime and made a mockery of, not only the community, but all existing, survivors, and people who have lost their battle to cancer. She should be punished to the fullest extent.