NKU Student Faked Cancer?

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I guess she told all of you! :popcorn:

Not really. She's entitled to her opinion, doesn't mean I have to agree with it.

This girl is an adult and mental illness or not she deserves every bit of criticism and ridicule she's receiving. She's made a mockery of all those who have suffered from the horrible disease and defrauded lots of people in the process.

Certain actions, mentally ill or not, don't deserve compassion. Conning people into believing you have cancer is absolutely one of them in my book.

You severely underestimate the power that mental health issues can possess over an individual. This is not a rational approach on her part, but most are attempting to apply rational thought to the "how" someone could do this. Assuming she has mental health issues surrounding this.

We should all be just as concerned that the severity of her condition has created this situation, as we are about her previously reporting she had cancer.

Why is it that we somehow hold cancer out as a scourge, but are dismissive about mental health conditions that control an individual's life and are, frequently, just as debilitating to the individual and their families ?

You severely underestimate the power that mental health issues can possess over an individual. This is not a rational approach on her part, but most are attempting to apply rational thought to the "how" someone could do this. Obviously assuming she has mental health issues surrounding this

There are certain actions that the "why" and the "how" matter little in. This is one of them to me. I don't care why, I don't care how. What she did is inexcusable, and she deserves zero sympathy or compassion IMO.

There are certain actions that the "why" and the "how" matter little in. This is one of them to me. I don't care why, I don't care how. What she did is inexcusable, and she deserves zero sympathy or compassion IMO.

So you will fail to apply what appears to be her actual illness as a logical reason why she would have done this ? That seems short sighted. While your rage at cancer must be individually justified, my question is why do you not care "why" or "how" and believe it to be inexcusable ?

If she was diagnosed with dementia and did the same exact thing, would you dismiss her lack of capacity and continue to believe there was reason for her actions ?

Do you believe mental illnesses are real illnesses? If the answer to that question is no, then I vehemently disagree and would encourage you to research it more. However, if the answer to that question is yes then I'd have to ask why you feel mentally ill people aren't deserving of compassion while someone with a physical illness is?

So you will fail to apply what appears to be her actual illness as a logical reason why she would have done this ? That seems short sighted. While your rage at cancer must be individually justified, my question is why do you not care "why" or "how" and believe it to be inexcusable ?

If she was diagnosed with dementia and did the same exact thing, would you dismiss her lack of capacity and continue to believe there was reason for her actions ?

I don't know how else to say it. I don't care what her reason was. I don't care if she has a mental illness, was bullied, has dementia, is just plain evil, or any other myriad of excuses. There are some things, IMO, that are simply indefensible. This is one of them.

I am continually amazed that people will sit behind screen names and throw daggers at people they don't know, about a situation they have only heard about on the news. Please let's just stop. Bluegrass Preps could be a great place to share good news, ask questions, and even level criticism that is not personal. However, I firmly behlieve it should not be anonymous. Step up and sign your names if you want to be a part of this.

This was not a victimless crime but what good is done by typing your hate, speculation and judgment on this message board? It helps no one. These are real people you are talking about, remember that, they may even read what you write. It is all so hurtful yet unnecessary.

Sincerely,

Gretchen Stephenson

First and foremost, BGP IS a great place... So let's begin there.

It is a place to share opinions,ideas, suggestions, etc. on the topics that are posted. That doesn't mean everyone is going to agree with everyone. It doesn't mean everyone is going to share the same compassion for someone. Just because you don't like what someone has to say doesn't mean they shouldn't be saying it.

As for being anonymous, there are A LOT of posters here that know who others are. I'm fairly confident when I say that most of the people here would have no problem saying what they do in a public setting with full disclosure. I know I would. I don't post anything here that I wouldn't say somewhere else.

Do you believe mental illnesses are real illnesses? If the answer to that question is no, then I vehemently disagree and would encourage you to research it more. However, if the answer to that question is yes then I'd have to ask why you feel mentally ill people aren't deserving of compassion while someone with a physical illness is?

Yes I believe mental illnesses are real. I also believe we as a society are way too quick to throw a "mentally ill" on people who do reprehensible things.

Mentally ill people are deserving of compassion. Ones who commit heinous crimes are not. Just like mentally sane people who do the same. Just like physically ill people who do the same. JMO.

Let me add this...I respect everyone's views on this and am well aware that mine aren't going to be shared by most. I'm fine with that. You guys are more than entitled to your views, and I have no issue with anyone voicing their disagreement with mine. It's what makes this place fun.

I guess I will finally chime in here. If someone shows me this young lady (or anyone who does something like this) has a mental illness (IF that's true) and this mental illness makes her do things beyond her control like would happen with someone with dementia, then I agree with you. Are you saying that's the case here? This young lady did this and it was quite possibly outside her control? Seems to me a lot of thought and planning has to go into something like this to pull it off, and if you are thinking and planning, then you know what you are doing and have at least a modicum of control over it. Or no?

Yes I believe mental illnesses are real. I also believe we as a society are way too quick to throw a "mentally ill" on people who do reprehensible things.

Mentally ill people are deserving of compassion. Ones who commit heinous crimes are not. Just like mentally sane people who do the same. Just like physically ill people who do the same. JMO.

So you feel the best course of action is to just lock her up and when she gets out she should be ostracized for the rest of her life? No treatment for the underlying cause. No support from friends and family and community. She did a bad thing, so she should be punished and that's that. That line of thinking makes no sense and is self defeating as a society because it won't fix anything. Why not instead treat her with some compassion and hope she gets some help, and gets some support? That way after she completes whatever her well deserved punishment turns out to be she is able to turn her life around and move on from this some day.

So you feel the best course of action is to just lock her up and when she gets out she should be ostracized for the rest of her life? No treatment for the underlying cause. No support from friends and family and community. She did a bad thing, so she should be punished and that's that. That line of thinking makes no sense and is self defeating as a society because it won't fix anything. Why not instead treat her with some compassion and hope she gets some help, and gets some support? That way after she completes whatever her well deserved punishment turns out to be she is able to turn her life around and move on from this some day.

Where did I say any of that?

Whatever the girl's sentencing ends up being she probably needs to be serve it in a mental ward (assuming she has a mental illness).

Where did I say any of that?

Whatever the girl's sentencing ends up being she probably needs to be serve it in a mental ward (assuming she has a mental illness).

You said in post 70 that mentally ill people who commit heinous crimes are not deserving of compassion.