NKU Student Faked Cancer?

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Using an affidavit warrant, police obtained her cell phone records and saw that she was answering texts and calls pretending to be her caretakers or roommates. I believe that is how she must've gotten all the money. My guess is the affidavit must have been the caretaker or roommate.

FWIW, obviously in this country we are innocent until proven guilty. But the (likely one of many) incriminating piece of evidence has been released to the press before a trial or punishment.

Worth noting that I have known her and her family since I was a few years old, and I don't believe she is innocent or mentally stable at this time.

Being closer to this situation then I care to be I would say everyone should really let this story breathe. Weighing in without the full story in hand is probably a mistake. There is a ton more to it than has been reported.

I do hope she gets the care needed and the community that so overwhelmingly came to her aid uses that same energy in a positive productive way to support others with true needs.

There is no excuse for faking cancer. Period.

Nobody is saying that she's not responsible for her actions or that she shouldn't be punished. What I'm saying is she's very likely mentally ill (obviously that can only be fully determined by the clinician that evaluates her) and therefore should be treated with some compassion.

Nobody is saying that she's not responsible for her actions or that she shouldn't be punished. What I'm saying is she's very likely mentally ill (obviously that can only be fully determined by the clinician that evaluates her) and therefore should be treated with some compassion.

You get no compassion from me if you fake having cancer.

This a 100x over. She made a mockery of everyone who has ever had or died from cancer IMO. Takes a certain type of evil to do something as sickening as she has.

There's a clear distinction between evil and mentally ill. If it turns out that I'm way off the mark and she has no mental disorder then I am absolutely with you. However, someone who is sick deserves compassion regardless of what sickness they have. Again I reiterate, the illness does not excuse her behavior. She should still have to pay the price.

There's a clear distinction between evil and mentally ill. If it turns out that I'm way off the mark and she has no mental disorder then I am absolutely with you. However, someone who is sick deserves compassion regardless of what sickness they have. Again I reiterate, the illness does not excuse her behavior. She should still have to pay the price.

Certain actions, mentally ill or not, don't deserve compassion. Conning people into believing you have cancer is absolutely one of them in my book.

Weighing in without the full story in hand is probably a mistake. There is a ton more to it than has been reported.

Like what? Something that would reverse the facts of the story? People aren't speculating, there's a list of police charges.

I do hope she gets the care needed and the community that so overwhelmingly came to her aid uses that same energy in a positive productive way to support others with true needs.

We'll see...stuff like this tends to burn people. You were at "Kills for Kelly" with 500+ photos. She was one with "true needs" too... how you gonna tell the difference in the future?

Like what? Something that would reverse the facts of the story? People aren't speculating, there's a list of police charges.

We'll see...stuff like this tends to burn people. You were at "Kills for Kelly" with 500+ photos. She was one with "true needs" too... how you gonna tell the difference in the future?

We rally around people suffering from Cancer, that is why I attended the event. It is why I donated money too. Mental illness isn't something I seem to be able to grasp but I do know it is a big factor in this story. Maybe we will all learn something through this process. Or maybe not. Either way I don't excuse the events that are unfolding but realize there is a lot more to it then a money grab.

I have been a long time lurker on this site. It continually amazes and baffles me that grown adults sit around and type about young people and members of our community. The negativity and criticism leveled by those on this board at fellow citizens in our community (either about their play, their effort, their attitudes, their decisions, etc) is beyond the pale. The criticism of coaches who basically volunteer their time only to be laid out on forums like this by people who hide behind screen names, makes me fully understand why all the good coaches are gone, in part because of people like you. Not to mention the young athletes who read this site.

Kelly Schmahl is a member of our community. Yes, she made a serious, agregious mistake and probably committed a crime. She is most certainly dealing with demons that none of us will ever understand. Instead of being thankful that you nor your loved ones have to deal with these issues, you choose to completely demoralize this young person and her family. What she did by faking this awful disease is a cry for help, in my opinion. I am certain that she is finally getting it. It is none of anyone's business besides her family, the police and those she defrauded (and I am pretty sure beside paNDA and maybe, InItToWinIt) that is probably none of you. I have known Kelly and her family since she was in middle school. They are honest people and I am certain knew nothing of this scam by Kelly.

I am continually amazed that people will sit behind screen names and throw daggers at people they don't know, about a situation they have only heard about on the news. Please let's just stop. Bluegrass Preps could be a great place to share good news, ask questions, and even level criticism that is not personal. However, I firmly behlieve it should not be anonymous. Step up and sign your names if you want to be a part of this.

This was not a victimless crime but what good is done by typing your hate, speculation and judgment on this message board? It helps no one. These are real people you are talking about, remember that, they may even read what you write. It is all so hurtful yet unnecessary.

Sincerely,

Gretchen Stephenson