Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

NKU Student Faked Cancer?

Featured Replies

If mentally ill people are going to be given compassion for committing a crime, then why wouldn't all criminals who fake cancer, murder someone, etc. say they had a mental illness to get "compassion" from the general public and not face as harsh punishment?

 

The girl committed a crime and made a mockery of, not only the community, but all existing, survivors, and people who have lost their battle to cancer. She should be punished to the fullest extent.

 

They do...very frequently. I Googled "incompetent to stand trial" and came up with all these examples from the news just from the last couple of weeks:

 

Son charged with killing parents deemed incompetent to stand trial | WTVR.com

 

Psychologist: Nolen incompetent to stand trial | News | normantranscript.com

 

Sex offender found incompetent to stand trial | Crime and Courts | wcfcourier.com

 

Child sex abuse suspect found incompetent to stand trial

 

Alleged arsonist incompetent to stand trial - East Idaho News

 

Woman deemed competent to stand trial in baby's death

Man accused of stabbing brother found incompetent to stand trial

  • Replies 179
  • Views 26.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Kinda feel like all the people and groups that help her raise money for her fake cause are responsible as well. I get it they got duped, but isnt it your job if you are going to fund raise for someone or a cause to vet the person/cause?

 

One of the Frats hosting the golf outing was only giving a portion of the funds to her. The bulk was going to the other charity mentioned earlier. Next time I give to a charity, I'll be sure to ask for doctor bills or proof of illness or need.

I realize this isn't an apples to apples comparison because clearly Miss Schmahl has some kind of overall intelligence....but just for the sake of discussion:

A 9 year old lies and deceives in order to steal something. Do we send that child to jail?

 

A mentally ill 20 year old who only has the intellect of a 9 year old tells the same lies and goes about deceiving in order to steal the same thing. Do we treat the 20 year old differently from the 9 year old?

 

Also, for those making blanket statements about "mentally ill people not deserving compassion", do you think we should offer physically handicapped people special treatment or considerations? Why or why not?

 

Also, for those making blanket statements about "mentally ill people not deserving compassion", do you think we should offer physically handicapped people special treatment or considerations? Why or why not?

 

Of course they should. Right up until they decide to commit a crime. That's when compassion goes out the window, just like for those with a mental illness.

Of course they should. Right up until they decide to commit a crime. That's when compassion goes out the window, just like for those with a mental illness.

 

I guess I should re-word that portion of my post a little bit. A physically handicapped person is given special considerations in life due to the fact that they are limited by their physical condition. Why, then, do you think we should not give special considerations in life to people who are mentally ill/mentally handicapped and are thereby limited by their mental condition?

If I'm not mistaken the courts and legal system says that's 5-10 years. I lean towards the longer end.

 

Thank you for answering that.

A 9 year old lies and deceives in order to steal something. Do we send that child to jail?

 

A mentally ill 20 year old who only has the intellect of a 9 year old tells the same lies and goes about deceiving in order to steal the same thing. Do we treat the 20 year old differently from the 9 year old?

 

Very curious to hear people's responses to these.

I guess I should re-word that portion of my post a little bit. A physically handicapped person is given special considerations in life due to the fact that they are limited by their physical condition. Why, then, do you think we should not give special considerations in life to people who are mentally ill/mentally handicapped and are thereby limited by their mental condition?

 

They should be. Up until they commit a crime.

They should be. Up until they commit a crime.

 

So agree or disagree with this statement:

 

"Mentally ill individuals have brains that do not work in the same way as a normal person's brain, and mentally ill individuals should be given special treatment because of that, but then if they commit a crime they should not be given special treatment, and instead should be treated the same as anyone whose brain works normally."

Compassion is what separates us from the rest of the animal kingdom. People still have no idea of the facts surrounding this situation. The little I do know gives me plenty of compassion for all parties including the young lady.

So agree or disagree with this statement:

 

"Mentally ill individuals have brains that do not work in the same way as a normal person's brain, and mentally ill individuals should be given special treatment because of that, but then if they commit a crime they should not be given special treatment, and instead should be treated the same as anyone whose brain works normally."

 

I don't see anything in there about compassion...:idunno:

 

It's my opinion that if you commit a crime, especially a sickening crime such as this, compassion goes out the window. I don't know how much clearer I can make it.

  • Author
I realize this isn't an apples to apples comparison because clearly Miss Schmahl has some kind of overall intelligence....but just for the sake of discussion:

A 9 year old lies and deceives in order to steal something. Do we send that child to jail?

 

A mentally ill 20 year old who only has the intellect of a 9 year old tells the same lies and goes about deceiving in order to steal the same thing. Do we treat the 20 year old differently from the 9 year old?

 

Also, for those making blanket statements about "mentally ill people not deserving compassion", do you think we should offer physically handicapped people special treatment or considerations? Why or why not?

 

I'd think that a 20 year old wouldn't have the intellect of a 9 year old if they got themselves into a University that has academic standards like NKU does.

Was she already diagnosed with a mental disability?

 

If she does have a mental disability, would that give her the inability to decide between right and wrong? I'm not trying to make a point, I'm just curious.

I'd think that a 20 year old wouldn't have the intellect of a 9 year old if they got themselves into a University that has academic standards like NKU does.

 

Like I said, not an apples to apples comparison. I realize this isn't someone with the intellect of a child...I just find myself of the thinking that there should be some consideration given to the fact that she is mentally ill.

 

Perfect example...my cousin's wife is a high school special education teacher. She taught an 18 year old girl severe mental issues, and at one point the girl got upset with her and punched her in the face. Normally a punch in the face can absolutely constitute an arrest and assault charges. Instead, the girl ended up being put into a more involved program for extremely troubled students.

Was she already diagnosed with a mental disability?

 

If she does have a mental disability, would that give her the inability to decide between right and wrong? I'm not trying to make a point, I'm just curious.

 

No idea whether or not she had an actual diagnosis prior to the, but there are certainly some mental disabilities (paranoid schizophrenia and borderline personality disorder, for example) that can create situations where certain people are rendered incapable of telling right from wrong if the circumstances are right.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.