Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

NKU Student Faked Cancer?

Featured Replies

I'd think that a 20 year old wouldn't have the intellect of a 9 year old if they got themselves into a University that has academic standards like NKU does.

 

 

:lol::lol::lol::lol: You are talking about No Knowledge University right?

 

 

 

 

I only joke.

  • Replies 179
  • Views 26.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I guess I should re-word that portion of my post a little bit. A physically handicapped person is given special considerations in life due to the fact that they are limited by their physical condition. Why, then, do you think we should not give special considerations in life to people who are mentally ill/mentally handicapped and are thereby limited by their mental condition?

 

Other than parking spaces and seating at events what other special considerations are they given?

I realize this isn't an apples to apples comparison because clearly Miss Schmahl has some kind of overall intelligence....but just for the sake of discussion:

A 9 year old lies and deceives in order to steal something. Do we send that child to jail?

 

A mentally ill 20 year old who only has the intellect of a 9 year old tells the same lies and goes about deceiving in order to steal the same thing. Do we treat the 20 year old differently from the 9 year old?

 

Also, for those making blanket statements about "mentally ill people not deserving compassion", do you think we should offer physically handicapped people special treatment or considerations? Why or why not?

 

Juvy Court system handles the 9 year old. Adult Court System handles the 20 year old.

Other than parking spaces and seating at events what other special considerations are they given?

 

Off the top of my head, people with certain physical handicaps can be given more time for test taking, or can be given someone to assist them in actually filling out the test.

Compassion is what separates us from the rest of the animal kingdom. People still have no idea of the facts surrounding this situation. The little I do know gives me plenty of compassion for all parties including the young lady.

 

You could argue the other side isnt giving any facts for us to think differently than what has been presented.

Off the top of my head, people with certain physical handicaps can be given more time for test taking, or can be given someone to assist them in actually filling out the test.

 

So parking, seating, test taking, real criminal acts here.

Like I said, not an apples to apples comparison. I realize this isn't someone with the intellect of a child...I just find myself of the thinking that there should be some consideration given to the fact that she is mentally ill.

 

Perfect example...my cousin's wife is a high school special education teacher. She taught an 18 year old girl severe mental issues, and at one point the girl got upset with her and punched her in the face. Normally a punch in the face can absolutely constitute an arrest and assault charges. Instead, the girl ended up being put into a more involved program for extremely troubled students.

 

Thats interesting, was that court appointed or where charges ever filed?

I'd think that a 20 year old wouldn't have the intellect of a 9 year old if they got themselves into a University that has academic standards like NKU does.

 

Get your point, but a dog that can bark his name could get into a college or University these days, as long as they can sign on the loan papers they will let anyone, or species in.

You could argue the other side isnt giving any facts for us to think differently than what has been presented.

 

I would have to assume that "the facts" are being given to the authorities. There is currently a formal criminal investigation, and no doubt the police are working on determining which charges to bring forward against her. Sounds like they are working on gathering all the facts before making them public. Seems like fairly standard operating procedure in that regard.

I would have to assume that "the facts" are being given to the authorities. There is currently a formal criminal investigation, and no doubt the police are working on determining which charges to bring forward against her. Sounds like they are working on gathering all the facts before making them public. Seems like fairly standard operating procedure in that regard.

 

Which tells you all you need to know.

So parking, seating, test taking, real criminal acts here.

 

I'm not talking about criminal acts. I'm talking about the precedent of people having exceptions made for them in the world due to their limitations.

I'm not talking about criminal acts. I'm talking about the precedent of people having exceptions made for them in the world due to their limitations.

 

Ok you have now confused me, we have been talking about a criminal act since the first post of the thread.

Ok you have now confused me, we have been talking about a criminal act since the first post of the thread.

 

I was drawing a comparison...

  • Author
Get your point, but a dog that can bark his name could get into a college or University these days, as long as they can sign on the loan papers they will let anyone, or species in.

 

From experience of sitting on committees that reveiwed ACT scores for high school seniors while working for NKU, I'd say that isnt accurate.

 

A lot has changed since say 2004 in regards to NKU's admissions standards.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.