Fix the Media

Why would we not want our media to be unbiased?

Because until about 40 years ago, it never was and we never really pretended that it was. Every city in America had a republican newspaper, a democratic newspaper, a Catholic newspaper, an abolitionist newspaper, a Prohibitionist newspaper, and so on, and so on.

All people have biases. Any collection of people is going to be a collection of those biases.

Even the most fundamental editorial decisions such as what stories to run at the top of the news, which to run at the end, and which ones to not run at all, involve decisions made by human beings that bring their own thoughts and opinions to the table.

Not only should we acknowledge it, we should embrace it. It makes those sources easier to identify from an ideological standpoint and we can embrace them or reject them as we will.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great point. Everytime black people looted BLM was blamed even though to this day the actual organization of BLM has never been proven to have been involved. The media saw blacks, heard people screaming black lives matter, got it on video and then said here is BLM rioting and looting. Meanwhile in those same cities organized peaceful protests actually done by nationally known members of BLM were ignored.

That is a great point, hence I never even knew that until I just read your post.

The world is changing fast, you can get most of your core requirements while you are in high school (my daughter did it) and then jump right to advanced classes.

I don't want to dwell on the college part, other than colleges are a part of the problem, other than to say I have consistent conversations with my children currently in college about Liberal hurdles they have to overcome with too many of their Professors.

You want to do well in college play the part. So true.

You want to do well in college play the part. So true.

And that is exactly the conclusion my kids and I have come to. They purposely go about some of their classes by embracing the Liberal Agenda to achieve better grades. And I think, but don't know, it breeds contempt.

All well and good if you're studying first year chemistry, but how does that work in the study of literature or economics?

In those cases the Education should be balanced and not consistently taught/presented from a Liberal way of thinking.

That is a great point, hence I never even knew that until I just read your post.

That was always one of my issues with how BLM was reported on and treated by the media. They had their flaws for sure but everytime an issue popped off and blacks were involved BLM was always to blame when it most instances the actual BLM wasn't at fault. It was random criminals who happened to be black. The media is definitely to blame for this perception. BLM failed in so many ways but their actual failure has never been reported on and it is a fascinating story.

I am not sure but certainly the lack of check and balances in the Media make it nearly impossible to figure out what is what.

And when are we going to do something about all the Liberal Colleges cramming left wing ideology down student's throats?

Thats easy stop giving federal student loans.

Just a couple suggestions I find myself using.

1. Try to get your news predominantly from reading as opposed to watching or listening.

2. Consider the source - Times, Post or Journal, I'm probably giving the benefit of the doubt. The Atlantic countering liberal talking points or The Economist doing the opposite is really going to make me pay attention.

3. What is the objective - I expect the AP to give me basic news. Other than that, an article is going to be information, analysis or opinion. I'm generally going to disagree with something if I think it is spin, but I mostly want to see how different people interpret the barrage of news we get everyday.

4. Who is the author - I'm not keeping a checklist, but reputation matters. There's also a huge difference between disagreeing with a reporter or a pundit and thinking they are a hack. Both of which happen often.

5. What do other's think of a story or an issue - I'm not a lemming, but I think Twitter is wonderful. I love to see what others think to have more opinions than just the author's and my own.

6. Always remember that even if I don't have all of the facts, something isn't necessarily false because I want it to be or vice versa.

The media is a representation of what it reports.

The public has to question everything. If we expect the whole truth from any one source then you can count on that source to lead you down the path it wants you on.

In the end, isn't it each of us who need to fix ourselves? Why are we blaming media for not reporting what and how we would like them to? If we didn't demand it, there wouldn't be a market for it. We are quick to jump on something, quick to judge, and quick to start pointing fingers. That's us...Not the media. Personal responsibility...If you believe in it, then practice it in every aspect, including the way you process what you read and hear...And spread.