Fix the Media

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really, the Media decides what is news and what isnt, and thats what they report.

Not what I am saying. The media reports the FBI is investigating Hillary Clinton's emails. That is reporting the news.

The media then offers up commentary on what is in the emails, if she broke the law, how will this affect the election, who leaked the emails, etc, etc. Next thing you know there are 20 million experts on Hillary Clinton emails waking around when in fact no one knows anything. Then when she isn't charged people are outraged because their media talking heads assured them that she was a criminal. People can ignore that part of it but they choose not to. That's on them. Like I said, it isn't hard to take the reported news at face value and leave it alone.

I watch a lot of NBA games. I don't watch Inside the NBA or NBA Game Time where they break down the games and offer their opinions on the games because I don't need them to tell me what I just watched. I treat politics the same way. It isn't hard at all.

Here's my issue with this though. I don't trust anything that comes from anyone associated with Fox News, CNN, MSNBC, ABC, etc. The people PP92 mentioned are precisely why. The anchors and reporters and hosts all interject their opinions into everything they report. There is no straight fact-dumping any more IMO.

I think there is though. It isn't hard to tell the difference from an opinion piece/editorial and just a straight article reporting the facts.

Well stated! I was trying to figure out how to say just this. As long as people like Rush, Rachel, Sean and Glenn get paid to celebrity dollars spout their "opinions", and people take their "opinions" as fact, there will be a problem. The issue isn't with the real news media. It is with us, the consumer, delighting in nothing more than being hyperbolic and not caring what the real truth is, versus the sensationalized, and fake outrage.

Exactly!! :thumb:

Not what I am saying. The media reports the FBI is investigating Hillary Clinton's emails. That is reporting the news.

The media then offers up commentary on what is in the emails, if she broke the law, how will this affect the election, who leaked the emails, etc, etc. Next thing you know there are 20 million experts on Hillary Clinton emails waking around when in fact no one knows anything. Then when she isn't charged people are outraged because their media talking heads assured them that she was a criminal. People can ignore that part of it but they choose not to. That's on them. Like I said, it isn't hard to take the reported news at face value and leave it alone.

I watch a lot of NBA games. I don't watch Inside the NBA or NBA Game Time where they break down the games and offer their opinions on the games because I don't need them to tell me what I just watched. I treat politics the same way. It isn't hard at all.

Ahh I see, I agree with you on this one.

What if media was categorized and content was restricted by what category they were in? For example, if you are going to offer primarily opinion shows on your channel then you are not allowed to be called a "news" station. You make news stations limit opinion to 10% or less of their content.

If your content is going to be more than 10% opinion, then you are now an opinion or commentary channel and use of the word news for content on your channel is highly restricted.

I feel like a lot of the channels, CNN, Fox, MSNBC are all opinion channels. I remember as a kid when Brokaw would come on for 30 minutes, report the news and then The Cosby Show came on. We don't have that anymore. I miss that. That was the real news to me.

What if media was categorized and content was restricted by what category they were in? For example, if you are going to offer primarily opinion shows on your channel then you are not allowed to be called a "news" station. You make news stations limit opinion to 10% or less of their content.

If your content is going to be more than 10% opinion, then you are now an opinion or commentary channel and use of the word news for content on your channel is highly restricted.

I am not sure but certainly the lack of check and balances in the Media make it nearly impossible to figure out what is what.

And when are we going to do something about all the Liberal Colleges cramming left wing ideology down student's throats?

The Clinton Email scandal is a perfect example of why the media is the way it is. The fact alone that she had her own private email server is a major major felony. If it were any of us here on BGP we would be locked away forever as an enemy of the state.

The point I am making (really has nothing to do with Clinton or the Email Server). The point is our Government appears to be corrupt on many levels by both parties and the Media is caught up in the middle of it and now we have "everyone" blaming the Media when we should be looking much harder at our Government and demanding answers.

I am not sure but certainly the lack of check and balances in the Media make it nearly impossible to figure out what is what.

And when are we going to do something about all the Liberal Colleges cramming left wing ideology down student's throats?

Who says we need to do anything? People have an option to choose where they go to college and they have an option to choose the classes they want to take.

I couldn't agree more, just like the BLM movement; riots, looting etc.. when 90% of the cases ended up being found justified.

Who says we need to do anything? People have an option to choose where they go to college and they have an option to choose the classes they want to take.

Colleges need to get away from ideology and social agendas and focus on Education.

Or, like I have mentioned in the past, there should be learning institutions that you can attend that are capable of teaching you any advanced degree program where you can focus on Education only.

The Clinton Email scandal is a perfect example of why the media is the way it is. The fact alone that she had her own private email server is a major major felony. If it were any of us here on BGP we would be locked away forever as an enemy of the state.

The point I am making (really has nothing to do with Clinton or the Email Server). The point is our Government appears to be corrupt on many levels by both parties and the Media is caught up in the middle of it and now we have "everyone" blaming the Media when we should be looking much harder at our Government and demanding answers.

I agree wholeheartedly. The media knows way more than what they report but at the same time if we knew the whole truth about everything there would be Anarchy. Where is the balance? The media reports the news and they skew that news with their commentary on it. Once people leave the commentary alone(never happen) then we may be able to just focus on the actual news.

For example, it has been reported that the Trump administration is under investigation for their ties to Russia and has been under investigation. However, the conversation is skewed by the media and it seems like the actual investigation is being swept under the rug when in fact that should be our only concern. Instead the conversation is about the media bashing Trump, Trump golfing, Fake news, healthcare, etc. Is anyone going to report on the actual investigation, if it is over, ongoing, what are they finding out, etc. To me that is the news I am interested in but the media has made the waters murky. Does anyone truly know what is going on with anything in today's society? Nevermind how corrupt our government has been for decades. Do we truly know what is going on? I don't think we do.

A friend of mine used to get in trouble in school for this reason... he never agreed with what they were spewing out.

Colleges need to get away from ideology and social agendas and focus on Education.

Or, like I have mentioned in the past, there should be learning institutions that you can attend that are capable of teaching you any advanced degree program where you can focus on Education only.

You can do that at any college. Fix your major.