How have transfers effected you area, and how will Charter Schools effect it

My experiences with Charter schools as an AD were disastrous at best. They would open, close & dissolve in what would seem no time. When they would close, all of the paperwork would seemingly disappear. In my time as an AD we received somewhere between 5-10 charter school transfers and of those I remember, only 1 I was able to complete the proper paperwork with the sending AD to get the student-athlete eligible, the rest had to sit for a calendar year from enrollment due to not being able to get anything filled out on the sending end. Even the parents couldn't get help from the Charter schools to get their kids info to the receiving school. I am just waiting for the storm to hit & see where it takes us here in the state of Kentucky. I've only spoken to friends I have who are public school teachers in areas with Charter schools & they just shake their head & laugh.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My experiences with Charter schools as an AD were disastrous at best. They would open, close & dissolve in what would seem no time. When they would close, all of the paperwork would seemingly disappear. In my time as an AD we received somewhere between 5-10 charter school transfers and of those I remember, only 1 I was able to complete the proper paperwork with the sending AD to get the student-athlete eligible, the rest had to sit for a calendar year from enrollment due to not being able to get anything filled out on the sending end. Even the parents couldn't get help from the Charter schools to get their kids info to the receiving school. I am just waiting for the storm to hit & see where it takes us here in the state of Kentucky. I've only spoken to friends I have who are public school teachers in areas with Charter schools & they just shake their head & laugh.

I'm interested in how this will affect things like Region and districts alignments and stuff like that.

Which brings me to this comment. I believe any school that is the recipient of tax dollars should be subject to standards and inspection by the same government agencies as public schools.

Yes you're right, that young lady didn't dress varsity and played very few minutes in JV. Her reason for transfer was because of personal issues and out of respect for her I'll just leave it at that.

So if it's Mason, then minutes played and why matter? Hmm.

So if it's Mason, then minutes played and why matter? Hmm.

If she transferred schools because of specific personal reason in which I believe we both know and just happened to play basketball at BC then why does it matter? She isn't a big part of their success and I don't see her being a part of their success in the future. Her reason of transfer was very realistic and it's unfortunate that she had to transfer for the reason she did.

If she transferred schools because of specific personal reason in which I believe we both know and just happened to play basketball at BC then why does it matter? She isn't a big part of their success and I don't see her being a part of their success in the future. Her reason of transfer was very realistic and it's unfortunate that she had to transfer for the reason she did.

This has nothing to do with impact or not. Reasons why or not.

You're either ok with transfers or not. Perhaps GRC's reasons were "unfortunate" as well.

Its really according to how quickly they get these schools up and running. The first issue is facilities. Where are they gonna house the schools & if they are offering athletics, where will they practice/play.

Also in the initial bill in Kentucky they were talking about just a few charter schools in Louisville & Lexington & then go from there. Not sure if that has grown outside of those boundaries or if they have taken the cap off of the max number of schools, but say for example if they were to put 3 in Lexington, I honestly don't know where they would put them, heck, I couldn't tell you where they could put 1 school in an existing building right now unless there is some defunct elementary school building sitting idle right now with a cafeteria/gym setup like most of the old school buildings used to be.

I'm interested in how this will affect things like Region and districts alignments and stuff like that.

This has nothing to do with impact or not. Reasons why or not.

You're either ok with transfers or not. Perhaps GRC's reasons were "unfortunate" as well.

Can't reason with some of those Mason fans. It is OK for them to have them .

Asked Sumo to post stats and he refused. Knew it would show why Mason lost .

I do appreciate you helps you know more about them.

Can't reason with some of those Mason fans. It is OK for them to have them .

Asked Sumo to post stats and he refused. Knew it would show why Mason lost .

I do appreciate you helps you know more about them.

There isn't anything to reason. The tread asks what was the effect that transfers had in your area. A team full of transfers won the regional tournament, whats so wrong with getting called out for it? There was Scott county in the early decade of the 2000's and there is GRC now. Everyone just has to accept that's how it's going to be and play the games.

Here is the truth about transfers:

No one cares about transfers until their team gets beat by a team with a transfer or two on it. At the same time, every single school will welcome in a transfer. Especially if that transfer is good in sports. No one is turning transfers away and no one ever will. Everyone would love to see their homegrown kids win but if Little Johnny moves into town with his 18 points and 9 rebounds per game I guarantee Little Johnny gets treated like a homegrown kid the first day he shows up to practice.

Hummm...so who is this little Johnny you speak of, and is he anywhere near Anderson County and have eligibility left? :)

As for the original question about Charter schools...isn't the bill only going to allow these schools initially in Louisville and Lexington? I haven't read the bill but thought I heard this being discussed on the radio.

Initially it won't have any affect on athletics. Some of the schools may not even have an athletic program in the early years, if ever.

There isn't anything to reason. The tread asks what was the effect that transfers had in your area. A team full of transfers won the regional tournament, whats so wrong with getting called out for it? There was Scott county in the early decade of the 2000's and there is GRC now. Everyone just has to accept that's how it's going to be and play the games.

If Mason had won none of this would have been brought up. Just want to cause trouble. Face it the best team won.Mason had their chances but poor shooting was their down fall. Can't win shooting 33.3% from the field. GRC shot 55.3%.

Other stats

Second chance points GRC 6 Mason 0. Points off TO GRC 12 Mason 9.

Edited by gold sunrise