How have transfers effected you area, and how will Charter Schools effect it

Would the other Grant players had developed had Martin and Harmeyer stayed? Those two probably would have taken 70% of the shots had they stayed. Also, how good would SK have been had Thomas and Baugh stayed? Up until this year, SK in big games, was too dependent upon Niece to score.
This is all speculation obviously.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is what I see as the bottom line on transfers. The KHSAA has no appetite for contesting transfers and it is pretty much a rubber stamp process at this point. If a student wants to transfer to another school, they should have no problem making it happen as long as they aren't blatantly and openly saying they are doing it for sports. I don't see Charter Schools being any different than what is happening currently.

I've always applauded kids from small schools that stay there and make something big happen. Brent Bach did it against Mason Co, and at the time it killed me, but looking back on it now I'm glad he stayed at Augusta instead of going someplace else. @AndOneDad made a great choice by staying put in Augusta, even though his son broke my heart not once but twice lol

A lot people comment on how this will only effect the larger counties or districts, but I think it has the potential to effect rural districts as well. The discussion is talking about Charter Schools but the bill passed by the state house is also giving students the right to go to any school of their choice provided there are seats available. I started a thread on this several weeks ago when this was proposed to the state school board last month. If you have a player at a small rural school male of female that is very good and knows it is almost impossible to make the post season at that school I think they will go a school that is close and has talent that will highlight their skills and give them a better chance of making it to the state tournament.

A lot people comment on how this will only effect the larger counties or districts, but I think it has the potential to effect rural districts as well. The discussion is talking about Charter Schools but the bill passed by the state house is also giving students the right to go to any school of their choice provided there are seats available. I started a thread on this several weeks ago when this was proposed to the state school board last month. If you have a player at a small rural school male of female that is very good and knows it is almost impossible to make the post season at that school I think they will go a school that is close and has talent that will highlight their skills and give them a better chance of making it to the state tournament.

I think that only allows them to go to the closest school, not any school. I read the Bill and could be wrong but I beleive that is what it says.

In Somerset for example, Somerset and Pulaski High schools are about a mile apart and both are in the city limits. There are kids that live right across the street from Pulaski that are in the Somerset District and there are kids in the Pulaski district that live closer to Somerset high...those are the kids impacted if I understood the bill correctly.

Some transfers have to happen, while others are ego , grass greener, championship seeking (see this a bunch), aau mentality (remember Rose Hill), one and done driven, psycho parent (lonzo Ball's dad comes to mind) driven. The khsaa is in a no win situation usually with their rulings (litigation pending etc.) Parents are trying to do what is best for their kid is used a lot. Not sure I see this getting anything but worse. I long for the days of "sense of community" and the willingness to overcome adversity rather than some of the alternatives that have been manufactured.

It has come to my attention the past few years that transfers have made huge impacts on the athletic programs of schools throughout the state. (Boys and Girls) I've been around high school basketball just about my entire life (watching not playing) and have seen transfers come to schools in what should have been down years and make them Championship contenders.

So heres my region:

10th Region Boys-

Not any significant effect from what I've seen Jeryd Jones went from GRC to MoCo which is about the only one I can remotely think of in the past few years.

10th Region Girls-

If you've been on BGP the past 3/4 days you've seen me make comments about GRC. Some of those comments have been a bit harsh, but that doesn't take away from the fact that everything I've said has been facts. This should have been a down year for GRC as they lost quite a bit to graduation last season, but wrong. Transfers came in and right back to Championship contenders they went. At one point in the 10th Region Championship Game Saturday night all 5 players on the court for GRC were transfers as well as one checking in at the scores table.

That being said, have transfers impacted other areas or just this one?

Please do not take this post the wrong way, I just thought it would be better to create a thread on the topic instead of discussing it on pregame/post game threads.

Also: How will Charter Schools effect things if/when it gets passed?

First get your facts straight. GRC DID NOT have 5 transfers on floor and one checking in. If you think you are right, then name them.You act like all transfers came in this year wrong again. People transfer for many reasons, family matters and jobs is reason we got these transfers.

Here is the truth about transfers:

No one cares about transfers until their team gets beat by a team with a transfer or two on it. At the same time, every single school will welcome in a transfer. Especially if that transfer is good in sports. No one is turning transfers away and no one ever will. Everyone would love to see their homegrown kids win but if Little Johnny moves into town with his 18 points and 9 rebounds per game I guarantee Little Johnny gets treated like a homegrown kid the first day he shows up to practice.

Here is the truth about transfers:

No one cares about transfers until their team gets beat by a team with a transfer for or two on it. At the same time, every single school will welcome in a transfer. Especially if that transfer is good in sports. No one is turning transfers away and no one ever will. Everyone would love to see their homegrown kids win but if Little Johnny moves into town with his 18 points and 9 rebounds per game I guarantee Little Johnny gets treated like a homegrown kid the first day he shows up to practice.

I agree, and the player should be treated as everyone else. Kids don't transfer kids...Parents transfer kids

First get your facts straight. GRC DID NOT have 5 transfers on floor and one checking in. If you think you are right, then name them.You act like all transfers came in this year wrong again. People transfer for many reasons, family matters and jobs is reason we got these transfers.

Not 100% sure on the names of the individuals but my source was at the game, as was I, and called it out to me.

And yes my source was a neutral observer and not a MC fan or had any connect to the MC program.

Not 100% sure on the names of the individuals but my source was at the game, as was I, and called it out to me.

And yes my source was a neutral observer and not a MC fan or had any connect to the MC program.

So you threw out crap hoping to get sympathy for your agenda. I am sure your "source" was totally neutral...

So you threw out crap hoping to get sympathy for your agenda. I am sure your "source" was totally neutral...

My source was a GRC alum, I contacted him to get the names and will get back to you when I hear from him.

Once again, I have no "agenda" I'm a sports fanatic and call it the way I see it. If you don't like it then that's not my problem.

I was wondering at what point I would need to make the following post in this thread and it looks like this is it.

The term transfer only applies to high school students who have played varsity minutes at one school and then move to another high school. Students who moved from one school district to another prior to the ninth grade are not transfers. Students in the 9th grade who change high schools are not transfers unless they played varsity minutes as a 9th grader. In Kentucky a student can go to any high school they want to regardless of what district they live in and play sports if that school district allows the student in.

My source was a GRC alum, I contacted him to get the names and will get back to you when I hear from him.

Once again, I have no "agenda" I'm a sports fanatic and call it the way I see it. If you don't like it then that's not my problem.

Right.... sure. We'll wait for this info.