How have transfers effected you area, and how will Charter Schools effect it

Transfer thread again? Really??

It doesn't matter why they want to leave one school and go to another one.

Kids should be able to go to whatever school they want to go to.

End of the discussion

That is a hilariously naive notion. If every single kid Jefferson County wanted to go to the same school, that's not going to be possible.

And more importantly for conversations like this, not every kid has the means to go to whatever school they want to go to.

Transfers, school choice, whatever the topic name is, there are many more layers to it than people ever seem to want to admit. On both sides of the issue.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is a hilariously naive notion. If every single kid Jefferson County wanted to go to the same school, that's not going to be possible.

And more importantly for conversations like this, not every kid has the means to go to whatever school they want to go to.

Transfers, school choice, whatever the topic name is, there are many more layers to it than people ever seem to want to admit. On both sides of the issue.

For an entirely different reason, try getting your kid into Manual in Jeff Co.

I feel for all of the kids whose seasons and/or careers have come to an end this week but Mason had 4 minutes after this controversial call to take care of business.

Congratulations to GRC!

There's been other BGPers bring this up well before me. I'm not the only one to notice it nor am I the only one to think it's an issue. I accepted the outcome of the game, agreed with the call, and congratulated the Lady Cards.

But that's just it, every kid in Jefferson County isn't going to or want to transfer. But the ones that do should be allowed to.

For heavens sake, it is high school basketball.

But that's just it, every kid in Jefferson County isn't going to or want to transfer. But the ones that do should be allowed to.

For heavens sake, it is high school basketball.

You're making an assumption in that statement. You cannot dictate policy based on that assumption. The moment you declare anyone can go anywhere consequence free then it becomes anarchy.

I'm not even just talking high school basketball here. You should know that I have spent a great deal of time in this issue of late as I watch a school I love whither and die because of people who are afraid of people who look differently than them, speak a different language, and other social prejudices before you even touch on athletic issues, which have also chased people from the school. I have seen it from the other side, when they received beneficial transfers too. I've been round the horn with it in the last 15 years and I reiterate, there are layers and it is never as black and white as people would like it to be. It will never be as simple as "just let them go if they want".

Okay here we go:

My source bailed on me so this is what myself and a new friend of mine have found thus far.

Transfers to GRC in the past few years that have played varsity minutes at other schools:

Kennedy Igo: Montgomery County

Shemaya Behanan: Walton Verona

Hayley Harrison: Goldsunrise said in a thread she was from Mercer County which may or may not be the correct place.

Jasmine Flowers: Bath County her sister didn't play varsity minutes at Bath as she is currently a 7th grader but she makes the 5th transfer.

3 of these 5 girls start for GRC. I have not yet discovered who the 6th is but when I figure it out I will post it.

You're making an assumption in that statement. You cannot dictate policy based on that assumption. The moment you declare anyone can go anywhere consequence free then it becomes anarchy.

I'm not even just talking high school basketball here. You should know that I have spent a great deal of time in this issue of late as I watch a school I love whither and die because of people who are afraid of people who look differently than them, speak a different language, and other social prejudices before you even touch on athletic issues, which have also chased people from the school. I have seen it from the other side, when they received beneficial transfers too. I've been round the horn with it in the last 15 years and I reiterate, there are layers and it is never as black and white as people would like it to be. It will never be as simple as "just let them go if they want".

But it would be black and white if it was my kid and I bet it would be for most other parents too. But I will end it here, the KHSAA is allowing more and more transfers every year..,you know why, because it is not worth the fight in court because most courts have over turned the KHSAA initial ruling of a kid being ineligible.

Okay here we go:

My source bailed on me so this is what myself and a new friend of mine have found thus far.

Transfers to GRC in the past few years that have played varsity minutes at other schools:

Hayley Harrison: Goldsunrise said in a thread she was from Mercer County which may or may not be the correct place.

Jasmine Flowers: Bath County her sister didn't play varsity minutes at Bath as she is currently a 7th grader but she makes the 5th transfer.

3 of these 5 girls start for GRC. I have not yet discovered who the 6th is but when I figure it out I will post it.

Jasmine Flowers also transferred midseason after playing in the All-A State Tournament for Bath County, then hit game winning free-throws to beat Bracken County in her first game as a Lady Card. :down:

Edited by Mike Baxter

Okay here we go:

Your source bailed on you? :no:. Why am I not shocked.