Conner High school Turf Field

UK#1fanisback

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is absolutely ridiculous that these schools do not have turf fields.

Kind of funny you say that. I was talking with some people the other day about turf fields and some of the really nice complexes in the NKY area. Their comment was...it's ridiculous high schools spend all that money on turf fields. Opinions differ for sure.

Getting a turf field is more complicated than people think unless you have a donor. All new and existing facilities are part of a school district's facility plan. A district, as funds come available through bonding capacity, must designate need and list the priorities of the entire district. The state must approve the plans made by a committee of people who are stakeholders in the district. The plan is approved by the local board first. Then the state approves.

My experience is classrooms and classroom space is the first priority for the state and the beginning parameters the committee works with. It goes from there and the prioritizing begins. As the money become available through bonding, priorities are then knocked off the list one by one.

In Boone County, that is a problem for turf fields and the like. They are short classroom space and have been and will be for several years due to growth. Even though that growth means more tax $$ for the district, it also means more classrooms are needed. They struggle just to keep up with classrooms. Turf fields are furthest from their minds or lists when these plans are made.

The best way is to include it in new building or renovation (like Kenton County did). I am not sure why Boone didn't with Cooper but their priorities may have been elsewhere.

One thing to remember, if a Shaun Alexander wants to give 50% to build a turf field, the district cannot match it unless it is next on there priority list of the Facilities Plan. It probably wasn't and they wouldn't have gotten state approval, such less local committee approval, to move it up the list. Turf fields, again are not high priority.

Funding for facilities in public schools in Kentucky is more complicated than most would ever know. Unless you have to deal in this, why would you?

There seems to be one misconception with turf fields that is being ignored. Some people think once a turf field is put in then it's finished with very little upkeep. Turf fields do not last forever, they need to be replaced usually every 8-10 years and that is where the problem arises. I know that only 4 years ago I noticed SK's field needed to be replaced very badly, I don't know if they have or not but it needed to be replaced then so I can only imagine if it hasn't how bad it is today. Replacing the turf isn't cheap either, so it's easy to say that every school should have field turf, but once it's installed how are you able to afford replacing it every 8-10 years?

Just something I thought I'd mention since it has been widely ignored over the years on here when Field Turf is discussed.

Highlands has a turf field for their football team and a separate one for their soccer field. This might seem excessive (and it probably is); however, I am fairly confident the cost of these were covered entirely by private donations (many people writing personal checks). There was a fundraiser for the soccer field and I believe they sold tickets to a fundraiser for $1,000. I believe I bought a 1/2 a ticket. This fundraiser coupled with lease agreements for field time with KingsHammer, NKSA, Campbell County North Soccer Club, along with 4 or 5 primary sponsors covered the cost of the field. It took some creativity and a key person who had a vision and stood by the project, but they got it done.

The football field at Highlands was a similar arrangement with key partners being the Ft. Thomas Lions Club, Highlands Athletic Boosters, Fort Thomas Junior Football League, advertising banners displayed around the field and on the building, and again private donations.

If you wait for a large corporation or some other Fat Cat to write a check, you will probably be waiting for a long time; however, if someone will cast a vision and figure out a way to pool resources then it can become a reality (I realize this method won't likely work for small schools or urban schools).

Although the cost to replace a field is significant, so is the cost to maintain any school facility including a turf field. The thing about a turf field is that once it needs replacing the families in the school have turned over and there is whole new population of faces to ask to support the replacement project :) . Plus, my understanding is the cost to replace the field is far less than the initial installation, because the infrastructure is already in place.

Why not "lease" the athletic fields to the county and then let a county tax pay for them? I think this might solve how if taxes are raised by a school district the state sends less money, by the same amount. Is this even possible, legally?

Why not "lease" the athletic fields to the county and then let a county tax pay for them? I think this might solve how if taxes are raised by a school district the state sends less money, by the same amount. Is this even possible, legally?

Why would the county pay for something they don't own or won't control.? Doesn't make sense.

Could Boone County impose a special school tax on the builders for every new home that's built in the county?

I don't think that is legal and they still have to follow the Board approved Facilities Plan.

A school district can apply a double nickel tax for facilities that is subject for recall. But they would still have to follow the plan. In Boone, this is going to be difficult with the ever present need for classroom space.

Probably the only way is like Ryle with donations.

Why would the county pay for something they don't own or won't control.? Doesn't make sense.

What ever tax they raise would be paid for by the residents of Boone County?

Let it be a true county tax to get a better return on those tax dollars. Instead of raising local taxes for the schools and consequently getting less money from the state.

To help the school system out, thus helping the community.

I am just spit balling an idea.

What ever tax they raise would be paid for by the residents of Boone County?

Let it be a true county tax to get a better return on those tax dollars. Instead of raising local taxes for the schools and consequently getting less money from the state.

To help the school system out, thus helping the community.

I am just spit balling an idea.

I am not even sure it is legal for the county to do something on land the school district owns. I guess they could build something off campus, but then the schools would lose control.

There may be a lot of want, but some legal stuff could get in the way.

I am not even sure it is legal for the county to do something on land the school district owns. I guess they could build something off campus, but then the schools would lose control.

There may be a lot of want, but some legal stuff could get in the way.

Schools, municipalities, private entities can all enter into joint agreements to share facilities, but I believe the schools must have control (could be via a $1 lease agreement) in order to do any capital improvements to the land/facilities. I believe this is correct. Highlands soccer field, softball field, and baseball field are all examples of these types of arrangements.

There seems to be one misconception with turf fields that is being ignored. Some people think once a turf field is put in then it's finished with very little upkeep. Turf fields do not last forever, they need to be replaced usually every 8-10 years and that is where the problem arises. I know that only 4 years ago I noticed SK's field needed to be replaced very badly, I don't know if they have or not but it needed to be replaced then so I can only imagine if it hasn't how bad it is today. Replacing the turf isn't cheap either, so it's easy to say that every school should have field turf, but once it's installed how are you able to afford replacing it every 8-10 years?

Just something I thought I'd mention since it has been widely ignored over the years on here when Field Turf is discussed.

Good point Hellbird. Also, when these fields start wearing out and they cannot afford to replace them it could become a danger for the kids using it.

Also know that because of a state funding agreement that what put into law a long time ago, Boone County sends more money than any district to the rest of the state. So while we have a great tax base, a big portion of that gets sent to other counties across Kentucky.