Does anyone still kill their own hogs?

jericho

Next cold weekend will be hog killing time for my family.

Does anyone else do this?

We also make our own lard and use it.

We are also going to take the pig bladder and blow it up and use for a ball like my great grandma did.

We use the head to for my great aunt to make souse.

When I was a kid, my parents always raised a pig or two every year. My Aunt's brother in law was a pig farmer, and we'd get one of his runts. We never took care of the killing/butchering. We always loaded the pig up and took him to an Amish butcher shop and let them do the dirty work. My mom would then make suasage, scrapple etc. I'm not sure I would have had the stomach to paricipate in the killing and butchering.

In addition to pigs, we had our own chickens for eggs, and eventually food.

My dad used to talk about doing this when he was younger. I'd love to watch it done, seems like an educational experience.

Very educational, my kids love it. I do feel sorry for the pig though when we shoot it in the head and cut its throat so it can bleed out. Makes some awful noises.

But the kids learn how they get their food and our pigs are not full of antibiotics and fed healthy. you know what your eating.

The tenderloin is so amazing.

Very educational, my kids love it. I do feel sorry for the pig though when we shoot it in the head and cut its throat so it can bleed out. Makes some awful noises.

But the kids learn how they get their food and our pigs are not full of antibiotics and fed healthy. you know what your eating.

No doubt about it, I agree with all you said. My boys learned at a pretty early age some of the same things through deer hunting. It is the cycle of life.

You need to get you one of those contraptions that the bad guy had in "No Country For Old Men". One blast from that in a hog's forehead and you won't hear much from the hog.

I wish we still did this...probably the best home meat processing skill that we have and it's just fading away...

Rendering was the best, getting those cracklin's fresh out that hot grease....so good...

I also miss the smoked link sausage...every once in a while you would get your wood too green and get a dose of heavy hickory smoke in that sausage...loved it and miss it .

May look into this once me and Mrs. BB get off the grid...

Next cold weekend will be hog killing time for my family.

Does anyone else do this?

We also make our own lard and use it.

We are also going to take the pig bladder and blow it up and use for a ball like my great grandma did.

We use the head to for my great aunt to make souse.

Anytime your aunt no longer wants the head, I'll use it to make mincemeat. My family always raised hogs and butchered them. I could never watch the killing of any animals we raised or sold, but I always helped my Mother with everything else.