Does anyone still kill their own hogs?

jericho

Come on down, you can help,scald the pig and shave it.

Excuse my city boy ignorance but what do you mean by scald the pig? I am guessing boiling something?

What do you shave them with, a very sharp blade?

What are cracklings?

How long does this whole process take? I think it would be interesting.

Excuse my city boy ignorance but what do you mean by scald the pig? I am guessing boiling something?

What do you shave them with, a very sharp blade?

What are cracklings?

How long does this whole process take? I think it would be interesting.

We kill the pig and put it into 112 degree water and get it scalded and shave it with butcher knives and blowtorch the rest.

Takes about 1 hour

• 3 weeks later...

The husband of one of my coworkers raises hogs...slaughters them and sells them butchered, half, or whole. He apparently had someone back out on a purchase last week, so they offered the meat to everyone hear at work for next-to-nothing in order to make some new customers.

I bought a shoulder and some other cuts, but I made a bunch of sausage over the last couple of days - including my first try at breakfast sausage. Tried it for the first time this morning, and it turned out awesome!

The husband of one of my coworkers raises hogs...slaughters them and sells them butchered, half, or whole. He apparently had someone back out on a purchase last week, so they offered the meat to everyone hear at work for next-to-nothing in order to make some new customers.

I bought a shoulder and some other cuts, but I made a bunch of sausage over the last couple of days - including my first try at breakfast sausage. Tried it for the first time this morning, and it turned out awesome!

yes it is.

Not any more. All I have is an acre lot now. Can't raise hogs here. I was raising them in the basement. I guess someone called the health dept. on me. They said it was unhealthy to raise hogs in the basement of your house. Crazy I know. I told them,...... never had a sick pig yet. :)

Come on down, you can help,scald the pig and shave it.

I love this thread. Takes me way back. Do you use the intestines to stuff sausage into? Grandma always had the job of turning the intestines inside out and cleaning them before using for sausage. That's what the casings were back in those days.

I love this thread. Takes me way back. Do you use the intestines to stuff sausage into? Grandma always had the job of turning the intestines inside out and cleaning them before using for sausage. That's what the casings were back in those days.

That's what the casings were when I made sausage links on Monday :wave:

Nothing beats the snap you get out of a natural casing.