Bath County vs Fairview

Radioboy74

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Playing very weak teams never helps you beat a decent team.

While on the face this statement seems to be true, in the long run it could help beat better teams. Let me explain. The football team is always losing so less kids come out. They get a new head coach who schedules weaker teams to get some wins. All of the sudden the numbers start coming up and the belief that they can win is higher. After a couple of years they are fighting to make the playoffs and who knows, could eventually be fighting for the top spot in the district.

When I coached in TN, we went 0-10 the first year with a new coach. The kids did not believe they could win and made for a rough year. Well, those kids dedicated themselves to conditioning and weightlifting in the summer, some getting up at 5 am to lift weights. Well, the first couple of games were against very weak teams. Week three was against the previous season's region (TN's equivalent of KY's districts) winner. Well, we should have lost. They had the speed, the size but apparently not the heart. We ended up beating a team that we were picked to lose to by at least 2 tds.

My theory is that when you are trying to build a program you cannot schedule teams that will beat your brains out. You need to build confidence in the kids and show them how to win. Let them have some success and they will be hungry for more and work harder.

Congratulations to Bath County on being 3-0. Doesn't matter that they were "weak" teams so they still had to beat them. That "weak" team wanted to win too.

As far as the game goes, I think that Fairview comes out with the win, but it could be a close game. I have not seen either team yet this year, so I won't make a prediction as to the score.

While on the face this statement seems to be true, in the long run it could help beat better teams. Let me explain. The football team is always losing so less kids come out. They get a new head coach who schedules weaker teams to get some wins. All of the sudden the numbers start coming up and the belief that they can win is higher. After a couple of years they are fighting to make the playoffs and who knows, could eventually be fighting for the top spot in the district.

When I coached in TN, we went 0-10 the first year with a new coach. The kids did not believe they could win and made for a rough year. Well, those kids dedicated themselves to conditioning and weightlifting in the summer, some getting up at 5 am to lift weights. Well, the first couple of games were against very weak teams. Week three was against the previous season's region (TN's equivalent of KY's districts) winner. Well, we should have lost. They had the speed, the size but apparently not the heart. We ended up beating a team that we were picked to lose to by at least 2 tds.

My theory is that when you are trying to build a program you cannot schedule teams that will beat your brains out. You need to build confidence in the kids and show them how to win. Let them have some success and they will be hungry for more and work harder.

Congratulations to Bath County on being 3-0. Doesn't matter that they were "weak" teams so they still had to beat them. That "weak" team wanted to win too.

As far as the game goes, I think that Fairview comes out with the win, but it could be a close game. I have not seen either team yet this year, so I won't make a prediction as to the score.

:thumb: :thumb: Great post TaN, this is the point that I was trying to make. A team that has been on the losing end for quite a few years has to build confidence. Winning breeds confidence, I think that Bath is doing what they should be with their schedule for now. Those kids are obviously believing in themselves and there can't be down side to that. I don't think that Bath can win our district this year but with an upset or two they certainly may determine who does. I know one thing, no one had better overlook them. When the coach gets the program and confidence built up then it is time to start scheduling better teams. JMO.

:thumb: Nice post!! It is always a good thing when kids are confident ablut their abilities and winning help keep it at the level it needs to be regardless of the opponent.

I believe that it may be more than just a great schedule, He obviously has kids believing they can win where in other years they didn't.

:thumb: Good observation Oldrambler.Bath has some very talented athletes and the coaching staff has them believing in what they are trying to accomplish. That combination makes a pretty good football team.

They have also built a new stadium so the emotions at Bath are at an all time high. Bath has had some great teams in years past and it looks like they are headed in the right direction. I wish them well (except on Oct. 6th).:thumb:

I haven't seen they first hand but they do have some pretty good athletes on that team and are very capable of being a factor in our district.

You are correct. Fairview will be a factor in our district and are very capable of being Champions. As you stated ,they have some talented athletes and also have a great head coach in Chad Tackett. The district race will be wide open and that makes it great for high school football & the kids involved.

Very good post!!! Who does everyone want them to play Trinty and St. X, they have had hard times the last few years.

Very good post!!! Who does everyone want them to play Trinty and St. X, they have had hard times the last few years.

TT - no sweat - this is how they have to do it...nothing wrong with that.

My observations are simply this: I am picking Fairview to win based upon their records and the records of those teams they played and how they played them...

Based upon the level of competition and those results, I would logically conclude that Fairview "should" win this game...I, like Tough As Nails, have not seen either team play yet this year and so all I can do is analyze "data" as I can find it...

Records are about all I can find and so we start analyzing those in order to conclude a theory...Bath is 3-0 against teams who are "0-fer" with one team in common between FV & BC which is Lewis Co...

Sometimes we get on these threads and try to calculate things on a game that is FULL of emotion and desire that is not at all measurable or consistent on any given night...that is the beauty of FOOTBALL isnt it?

Good luck to both teams and safety for them as well.

:thumb: Good observation Oldrambler.Bath has some very talented athletes and the coaching staff has them believing in what they are trying to accomplish. That combination makes a pretty good football team.

They have also built a new stadium so the emotions at Bath are at an all time high. Bath has had some great teams in years past and it looks like they are headed in the right direction. I wish them well (except on Oct. 6th).:thumb:

I was not aware of a new stadium. Is it in the same place?

Will visiting teams have more than 5 rows high bleachers to sit on?

Is the baseball field still part of the the football field?

Please give us any details.

thanks.

I was not aware of a new stadium. Is it in the same place?

Will visiting teams have more than 5 rows high bleachers to sit on?

Is the baseball field still part of the the football field?

Please give us any details.

thanks.

I have not been to the new field so I can only relate what I was told. Perhaps someone from Bath can give more info. From what I hear it is a great improvement and only the beginning of things to come. I was told that the baseball field has been re-routed and there are new bleachers, size and type I do not know. Sorry I could not be of more help. If I find out more I will certainly let you know.

As for the Bath County Field still working on a few things. The visitor section across the field has a couple of movable bleechers seats. no more multi purpose baseball, football, little leage it is football only now. I think they did let the futball (soccer) team use it. ugggh.

As for the purpose of this thread there have been some truths and some untruths posted. TaN great Job well done. ODRambler glad to hear ya!

First myth scheduling weak teams.

Bath is a part of the EKC (East Ky Confrence) which invludes the following teams Bath, Nicholas, Fairview, Lewis, East, West and Fleming.

Bath gets 10 games a year. They must play 1. LCA 2. Nicholas 3. Berea 4. Fairview 5. Raceland 6. Paris leaving only 4 teams to choose from. Morgan West Carter, and Lewis County have each played the Cats 20 some of the 31 years that Bath has had a team. Meaning they play just about every year no matter what. The only addition lately has been Rowan County which used to be a every year game but Rowan dropped Bath some time ago after losing to a A program. If they were looking for cupcakes they wouldn't schedule teams from the EKC to play. There are teams with far worse records and less superior coaching to play for that.

The Wildcat's have a group of players that love the game and play with a lot of heart and determination. The numbers have increased due to dedication and hard work. If Bath County was 0-3 coming into the game as they have been the last 3 years would the Fairview faithful be as quick to post snap backs at every comment.

I love High School Sports I know where I will be Friday Night. Watching the Bath County Wildcats take on The Fairview Eagles. Give the Cats some due respect.