Which class was stronger last year, 1A or 2A?

theguru

Which class was stronger last year, 1A or 2A?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Which class was stronger last year, 1A or 2A?

• 1A was the best
    • 2A was the best
    • They were about the same
    • There is no way to determine which class was the best

Originally posted by theguru

Wow, I didn't know that. I was not impressed with Scecina or Beechwood in that game. Beechwood wasn't the only one of the two that improved a lot.

Scecina was a much better team than they showed against Beechwood...lost 25-13. However in that game it was very clear to me they were very well coached and had a good group of athletes to build around...the line was very suspect to me..looked very sloppy. They did have 4-5 very good skilled players I thought.

Some intresting facts about Scecina and the 2002 year...

1- they were 9-4

2-they lost to a 15-0..(29-7) 3A title team in Indiana

3- lost to a semi state team in 1A ...1st week of the year.

4-lost to KY 1A runner-up..Beechwood

5-lost to the eventual state runner-up in the semi finals in 2a.

6- They knocked off teams in the 2A playoffs with a combined record of 31-1...not sure how good those teams were but...I agree they obviously did improved a great deal after week 1 and 2 !!! They started 0-2.

Z5

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guru,

Where or how did they improve? Their schedule showed nothing-ncc wasnt nearly as good as the last 2 years-middlesboro wasnt close to their state championship team-the rest of the district was not very good-sk and holmes were average at best-even highlands got drilled by rockastle who was handled by boyle-that was the worst beechwood team to ever make it to the finals-imho.

In case you haven't noticed, theScribe's number crunching is UP!!

http://www.bluegrasspreps.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=218516#post218516

Before I start my take on the numbers, I want to express my appreciation to theScribe.... He's the BOMB!!

Here goes:

DISTRICT STRENGTH:

Even - don't know if this has any bearing at all on 1A vs. 2A anyway.

OVERALL STRENGTH (all 1A vs. all 2A power rating):

Advantage 2A - 1.9 points overall, and more than a touchdown and 2 pt. conversion among playoff teams.

This seems to argue 2A is better overall, with an even greater margin in comparing each classes top 32 (the playoff teams).

HEAD TO HEAD (1A vs. 2A matchups):

Clear advantage to 2A - 38 wins 34 losses. The 2A wins also came against better 1A teams than did the 1A wins over 2A teams.

VS. 3A (1A vs. 3A compared to 2A vs. 3A)

Small advantage to 2A - Although 2A owned 16 more wins vs. 3A, the wins were against teams averaging 3.7 points less than the wins by 1A. For what it's worth, 2A's losses came to teams 1.1 better than the 3A teams that won vs. 1A.

16 more wins by 2A, to me, compensates for the 3.3 point difference of opponents.

VS. 4A (1A vs. 4A compared to 2A vs. 4A)

Clear 2A advantage - 2A owned 12 more wins and 1 less loss against 4A, with the wins coming against BETTER 4A teams by 2.8 points. 1A did lose against better 4A teams (2.9 points) than did 2A.

PLAYING UP

Advantage 2A - basically the 3A and 4A numbers combined.

TOUGHEST SCHEDULES

Even - #1 and #2 teams are 1A, but 6 of top 10 are 2A

IMO, these numbers prove conclusively that 2A WAS INDEED SUPERIOR TO 1A IN 2002. It's time to quit the 2A bashing!!

I rest my case pending "cross examination"..... LOL...

:cool::D

AN AMAZING POST BY SCRIBE! To me oneijoe just summed it up and on the other thread I posted how what impressed me most was how well 2A did playing up....

but joe, as I stated in the other thread do you see district 6, 7 ,or 8 in 2A mentioned as toughest districts? Odd considering probably the best teams in the state played in these districts last year, makes you think that somehow those computers do have some type of geopraphy bias huh?

Before Scribe's numbers came up I was ready to concede that 2A was overall better than 1A based on studying the Massey ratings but......................then I saw that the Campbell Co Camels (no offense cc mom) were ranked 128 out of 216 with an 0-10 record and closest loss being 15 points. Heck, it even had them better than 10 teams in 4A.

Anyway, after Scribe's numbers I will concede that a 1 year aberation occurred in 2002 and 2A was OVERALL better than 1A. (Remember the Florida Marlins were once good too.) I fully expect the karma to right itself in 2003 and 1A will once again ascend to its rightful throne.;)

password said:

Anyway, after Scribe's numbers I will concede that a 1 year aberation occurred in 2002 and 2A was OVERALL better than 1A.

LOL, it's all in good fun. Thank you for the one year concession. I'll take it and run.

(Didn't like the Florida Marlins jab, though. They beat MY team in the series that year!!)

I can't wait to see westsider and guru's take on the numbers...

:thumb: :thumb:

Originally posted by oneijoe

I can't wait to see westsider and guru's take on the numbers...

There is no take here. I never said A was stronger than 2A, and in fact said that if I had to make a choice, I'd go with 2A.

Let's be honest ... 2A should be better than A, but the fact we have this debate is a sign that 2A is weaker than it should be. Even your favorite Massey Ratings, which I'm not sold on (Mayfield 4th in the entire state? Come on ...) has the overall 2A ranking much closer to A than 3A.

Originally posted by EKU_05

AN AMAZING POST BY SCRIBE! To me oneijoe just summed it up and on the other thread I posted how what impressed me most was how well 2A did playing up....

but joe, as I stated in the other thread do you see district 6, 7 ,or 8 in 2A mentioned as toughest districts? Odd considering probably the best teams in the state played in these districts last year, makes you think that somehow those computers do have some type of geopraphy bias huh?

Not only did the best 2A teams play in those districts, so did several of the worst. You gotta count all the teams, good and bad.

oneijoe,

I am still taking them all in but I am in the same boat as west. I said I voted for about the same but I commented elsewhere I would lean towards 2A.

Also, on the Massey ratings, they have Hendo 3rd in the state, give me a break, that is terrible... Between Hendo and Mayfield it looks like the Massey ratings have a WKY bias.

Originally posted by westsider

A screwy system ...

IMO, a good description of ALL of them.

guru... There are hard to explain rankings in each one. You say Massey has a WKY bias. A lot of us in EKY feel that way toward the Litkenhaus, and to a lesser degree, the Cantrall. IMO, wayyy too much weight (free points - ie, Campbell Co.) is given 3A and 4A teams simply for their size. Granted, they usually are playing better teams, but simply "showing up", to me, isn't enough.

I must add, being an EKYian, there's a certain amount of humor in hearing a NKYian claiming a poll has a WKY "bias".. lol.. NKY is usually the first to discount any anti-EKY bias claim.

2A should be better than A, but the fact we have this debate is a sign that 2A is weaker than it should be.

2A is certainly stronger. IMO, the reason we're having this debate is because the traditional powers in 1A (Danville, Mayfield, Beechwood, NewCath) are BETTER known by the people in the state's metro areas. This then gets translated into a gross overestimation of these team's class strength. 2A, with its dearth of traditional powers, gets grossly UNDERestimated. Look at the poll results....

LOL, even though Massey is my "favorite" rating, it doesn't mean I give much credence to it. I like Massey because of all the other information included on the site. With Lit and Cantrall, one just gets bald numbers. There's no fun in that.