Which class was stronger last year, 1A or 2A?

theguru

Which class was stronger last year, 1A or 2A?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Which class was stronger last year, 1A or 2A?

• 1A was the best
    • 2A was the best
    • They were about the same
    • There is no way to determine which class was the best

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Footballfan13

Put 1A's top 10 vs. 2A's top 10, and I think 2A would win. The power of Breathitt (last years version), Owensboro Catholic, Corbin, etc... would be too much.

I don't know about that, Breathitt maybe, but I don't think the rest of those teams could have competed with Mayfield, Beechwood, and Danville.

A similar thread was recently out there about 2a not getting any respect and , in my opinion, 2a was stronger last year..Yes, 1a had Mayfield, Danville and Beechwood at the top, but, after that, I think any of the top 10 teams in 2a would have beaten the next 7 teams in 1a...so, from that standpoint, imo, 1a was top heavy while 2a had many more good teams capable of upsetting the better teams ... depth was much better...

I'll definitely agree with your statement, wildcatjack, about the top ten teams in 2a versus the top ten teams in 1a. Mayfield, Beechwood, and Danville would dominate but put teams like Webster Co., Corbin, Trigg Co., and Russell against Holy Cross, Pikeville, Paintsville, Crittenden Co., and Murray it could truly be a toss-up between those teams. I'd probably pick the 2a team in most of those matchups.

If you rated the teams 1-10 and played them off, it would've been about even ... maybe a slight edge to 2A.

State champs ... Mayfield vs. Breathitt County

No. 2 ... Beechwood vs. Russell

No. 3 ... Danville vs. Mason County

No. 4 ... Owensboro Catholic vs. Newport Catholic

I think Class A would win 2 of those games, maybe 3 ...

Then you're talking about teams like Belfry, Prestonsburg, Lloyd, Corbin, LaRue County, Bardstown, Webster County, etc., against the likes of Green County, Middlesboro, Louisville Holy Cross, Christian Academy of Louisville, Ballard Memorial, Murray, Crittenden County, Pikeville, etc.

Originally posted by Mr. Reality

For what it is worth lloyd beat beechwood by about 16 points-lloyd was eliminated by mason co. and beechwood lost to mayfield by a touchdown.

I don't think that's worth much. That was early, long before Beechwood put it all together.

I voted for about the same but if I had to lean one way or the other I would lean towards 2A.

Originally posted by westsider

If you rated the teams 1-10 and played them off, it would've been about even ... maybe a slight edge to 2A.

State champs ... Mayfield vs. Breathitt County

No. 2 ... Beechwood vs. Russell

No. 3 ... Danville vs. Mason County

No. 4 ... Owensboro Catholic vs. Newport Catholic

I think Class A would win 2 of those games, maybe 3 ...

Then you're talking about teams like Belfry, Prestonsburg, Lloyd, Corbin, LaRue County, Bardstown, Webster County, etc., against the likes of Green County, Middlesboro, Louisville Holy Cross, Christian Academy of Louisville, Ballard Memorial, Murray, Crittenden County, Pikeville, etc.

I think there are too many folks from Beechie Tech voting in this poll...:D

I think 2A would have taken the top three match-ups in your list. I'd like to see a comparison of head-to-head games or common opponents during last season similar to the Lloyd-Beechwood one listed. I know Mason whipped the Juggs in their playoff game before losing to Russell for the second time. Russell then goes to Breathitt and loses by 1 in OT.

I know Middlesboro lost at home, late in the season to 3A Boyd County. Russell whipped BC 40-18 earlier in the year. I know 1 or 2 games do not mean much, but if you have several to compare, it may show a trend.

The top 3 of 1A is reasonably competitive with the top 3 of 2A, but then, 1A's top 3 is also reasonably competitive vs 3A!!

But, the question doesn't say top 3, top 5, top 10, etc...

It asks which is stronger, PERIOD.

IMO, 2A top to bottom was MUCH better than 1A. 2A, IMO last year, was a lot closer to the strength of 3A than 1A.

I think 2A was better than 1A last year, and will be better this year as well. When looking at 1A, the strength of the class was provided by Mayfield, Danville, Beechwood, Middlesboro, and NewCath. 2A on the other hand had a superior champion (Breathitt) who i felt could have beat fairly soundly any of the above mentioned 1A teams, then 2A also had Russell, Mason County, and Belfry who I feel would matchup well with any of the top 1A teams last year. Then 2A also has a solid core in Corbin, Prestonsburg, Owensboro Catholic, Lloyd, and Larue County who would wipe the floor with any other 1A team you could name. Even more still would be teams like Madison Southern, Whitesburg, Fleming County, Taylor County, Monroe County, and Glasgow who would also be able to match up with most 1A teams you would like to pit them against. Bottom line is 1A had maybe 5 top quality ball clubs while 2A had anywhere from 8-12.

Middlesboro 34, Corbin 14

Green County 37, Taylor County 7

Just poking a couple of holes in your theory.

I believe 2A was a little better than A, on the whole, but it should be ... there's a big enrollement disparity there.

I don't doubt that Breathitt might have beaten the likes of Mayfield, Danville and Beechwood, but to say they would have "soundly beaten" them ... I don't see it. Mayfield had one of the better defensive teams in the state. Breathitt's QB would have faced a good pass rush and a secondary that played its best in the postseason.

Mayfield went undefeated against a much tougher schedule ... the Cardinals beat at least two teams that were clearly better than anyone Breathitt played. Hopkinsville scored 16 points on Mayfield. Paducah Tilghman scored 22. Danville, who put up 20 against Boyle County, and Beechwood scored just 7 apiece.

Bottom line, Breathitt wasn't going to treat Mayfield like it did Corbin ... I suspect it would have been a very good game.

point taken westsider:thumb:

for the record when naming Breathitt County as a superior champion I was referring to the rest of the class in 2A, not in terms of against Mayfield, Beechwood, etc

By no means would Breathitt do to Mayfield what they did to Corbin, heck the two rounds leading up to the Corbin matchup were the only two times the entire year Breathitt was in danger. An overtime shocker vs. without a doubt the second best AA team in the state Russell, and a 21-0 win over Belfry where Breathitt lead 7-0 with just over a minute to go and Belfry had the ball with a chance to tie or win. What was lost with Breathitt County's team last year was the fact everyone focused on how their offense could put up 40 points a night, and how their defense was drastically overlooked. Breathitt had maybe the third best offensive team in the entire state (aside from Trinity and Male) but they also had a state championship callibur defense. If it weren't for that defense then the Bobcats would have made an earlier exit when a solid Belfry defense and Mother Nature held Breathitt County to one touchdown that was setup by what should have beenan interception that was missed. The assumption of winning "soundly" seems pretentious but I stick by it, I could see Breathitt beating Mayfield something like 28-14, by no means a blowout, but nonetheless a win by two touchdowns. I consider a 14 point win to be "sound",, even though the game could very well be much closer than the final score.

Also:

Lloyd 34 Beechwood 16

Breathitt 49 Hazard 7

Belfry 20 Pikeville 13

Prestonsburg 35 Paintsville 7

Russell County 15 Somerset 14

Fleming County 30 Nicholas County 18

Webster County 14 Crittenden County 7

Glasgow 32 Ballard Memorial 26

West Carter 28 Paintsville 0

NewCath 28 Lloyd 21 (only fair I show this score too though for the sake of the discussion)