Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Which class was stronger last year, 1A or 2A?

Which class was stronger last year, 1A or 2A? 54 members have voted

  1. 1. Which class was stronger last year, 1A or 2A?

    • 1A was the best
      40%
      22
    • 2A was the best
      42%
      23
    • They were about the same
      7%
      4
    • There is no way to determine which class was the best
      9%
      5

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

Breathitt 28-14, huh? I'll just say this ... nobody put up 28 on Mayfield last year ... not Paducah Tilghman, not Hopkinsville, nor Danville and Beechwood. Mayfield beat Danville and the defending state runner-up in Indiana on the road and Beechwood at a neutral site, so I dare say that if Russell could push Breathitt to the limit at Jackson, Mayfield would have a good shot at beating Breathitt at a neutral site.

 

As for those scores you listed ... I only included Green-Taylor because you touted Taylor as one of 2A's quality teams. I don't know anyone that listed the Class A teams you mentioned (Ballard, Crittenden, Hazard, Pikeville, Paintsville, Nicholas) among the elite teams. Somerset might have been if not for injuries.

  • Replies 120
  • Views 32.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Mr. Reality

For what it is worth lloyd beat beechwood by about 16 points-lloyd was eliminated by mason co. and beechwood lost to mayfield by a touchdown.

 

For what it is worth Lloyd was beaten by NewCath in the opening game last year and then NewCath did not score a point against Beechwood.

 

 

Top 5 = Edge 1A

Top 10 = Edge Even

Top 20 = Edge 2A

Top 30 = Edge 2A

Other 20 = Do you really care?

You know, this can go back and forth all summer....

 

The bottom line is... westsider and password believe 1A's top 5 was superior, EKU_05 and I think 2A's top 5 was better.

 

Arguments can be made both ways with particular "examples". But you know what?? None of them is gonna matter. While discussing it is fun, after a while one feels like they're trying to run his head into a wall.

___________________________

 

I will say, though, I don't see how EKU's believing Breathitt Co. could score 28 on Mayfield is unreasonable. He made the assertion Breathitt had the third best offense in the state, regardless of class. I saw no refutation of that assertion. If Hoptown scored 16 and PT scored 22 on Mayfield, then why is EKU's belief hard to swallow?? Do you really believe these two teams' offense was anywhere close Breathitt Co.'s??

Originally posted by oneijoe

_________________________

He made the assertion Breathitt had the third best offense in the state, regardless of class. I saw no refutation of that assertion. If Hoptown scored 16 and PT scored 22 on Mayfield, then why is EKU's belief hard to swallow?? Do you really believe these two teams' offense was anywhere close Breathitt Co.'s??

 

Having the state's 3rd best offense playing against teams such as Fleming Co., Knott County Central, Hazard, Powell Co., Estill Co. etc... doesn't constitute much in alot of pollsters minds, IMO. It's hard to gain much respect against a schedule like. I'm not saying they weren't talented, but let's compare apples to apples.

Originally posted by INMOTION

Having the state's 3rd best offense playing against teams such as Fleming Co., Knott County Central, Hazard, Powell Co., Estill Co. etc... doesn't constitute much in alot of pollsters minds, IMO. It's hard to gain much respect against a schedule like. I'm not saying they weren't talented, but let's compare apples to apples.

 

Amen.

Originally posted by oneijoe

You know, this can go back and forth all summer....

 

The bottom line is... westsider and password believe 1A's top 5 was superior, EKU_05 and I think 2A's top 5 was better.

 

Arguments can be made both ways with particular "examples". But you know what?? None of them is gonna matter. While discussing it is fun, after a while one feels like they're trying to run his head into a wall.

___________________________

 

I will say, though, I don't see how EKU's believing Breathitt Co. could score 28 on Mayfield is unreasonable. He made the assertion Breathitt had the third best offense in the state, regardless of class. I saw no refutation of that assertion. If Hoptown scored 16 and PT scored 22 on Mayfield, then why is EKU's belief hard to swallow?? Do you really believe these two teams' offense was anywhere close Breathitt Co.'s??

 

By the way, oneijoe, did you happen to see Tilghman and Hoptown last year? I saw Breathitt ... they had a great offense, but I'm willing to bet you Tilghman and Hoptown could have easily put up 51 on Corbin. Both teams have more speed than Breathitt. Also ... Tilghman's 22 did include an oh-by-the-way touchdown in the final seconds ...

 

Breathitt had to go to overtime - at home, mind you - to score 28 on Russell, so why is not reasonable to think Mayfield could hold down the Bobcats?

 

Heck, Ashland scored 28 on Russell in four quarters, and I don't hear anybody nominating the Tomcats for offense of the year.

 

And for clarification ... I'm not saying Class A's top 5 is necessarily superior. I'm saying that the A bunch is at least even with the 2A teams.

for what it's worth westsider I think from 1-5 A was slightly better than AA.... the point I have been trying to convey is that after you get past Mayfield, Danville, Beechwood, and NewCath.... AA football is better than A..

 

And as for the Breathitt - Russell game...look at what Breathitt did in the second half... the offense was downright deadly in that second half. And I myself wouldn't be offended one bit if my team's defense was compared to Russell's..by season's end they were one heck of a defensive team, look at how well they shut down Mason County. Breathitt's offense scored only 7 points against the team I support, but most of that can be credited to muddy conditions and Belfry holding them on 4th down and short numerous times.

 

For the record Ashland's offense had their QB Ryne Salyer when they played Russell... with Salyer in the offense Ashland was a very solid offensive team, then he got injured.

 

It's pretty pointless to stick on this subject since we can only specualte how the matchup would have went, Breathitt's pass happy offense may have put 40 on Mayfield, Mayfield's defense may have shut them out, we'll never know. But it's just my opinion after watching both teams in person that Breathitt could be able to move the ball and put soem points up, but nothing like what they did to most other teams.

Breathitt also put up 42 points on North Hardin and 35 on Harrison Co.

That's some nice work, Scribe !! Thanks for linking to your post...

 

Right now, after reading only once, the only thing that really jumps out at me is the discrepancy of east vs. west 3A teams playing 4A schools. That's easily explained. There are VERY FEW 4A schools east of Winchester - hence, the mountain 3A teams have a difficult time setting up games with larger schools.

 

It's nice to see that the virtually all of 2A's best record vs. other classes came against 3A and 4A.

____________________

 

EKU... I apologize earlier for my saying you thought 2A's top 5 was better than 1A's. I made an assumption I shouldn't have.

Originally posted by westsider

Breathitt 28-14, huh? I'll just say this ... nobody put up 28 on Mayfield last year ... not Paducah Tilghman, not Hopkinsville, nor Danville and Beechwood. Mayfield beat Danville and the defending state runner-up in Indiana on the road and Beechwood at a neutral site, so I dare say that if Russell could push Breathitt to the limit at Jackson, Mayfield would have a good shot at beating Breathitt at a neutral site.

 

Westsider,

After hearing such talk from you last year, how will you support the Eastsiders that will be coming to your perfect little world out west. WKU sure got a lot of them Eastsiders.

 

IMO, you don't have a clue.

Originally posted by INMOTION

Having the state's 3rd best offense playing against teams such as Fleming Co., Knott County Central, Hazard, Powell Co., Estill Co. etc... doesn't constitute much in alot of pollsters minds, IMO. It's hard to gain much respect against a schedule like. I'm not saying they weren't talented, but let's compare apples to apples.

U don't have a clue either. Unless you seen them play, what matters about the schedule. They were the best team. Male and Trinity would have stayed with us on a dry field, maybe! Just maybe imo. You should respect it!

Originally posted by breathitt fan

Male and Trinity would have stayed with us on a dry field, maybe! Just maybe imo. You should respect it!

 

Breathitt would have beaten Male or Trinity? The game would have been close? Am I reading this right?

Originally posted by breathitt fan

Westsider,

After hearing such talk from you last year, how will you support the Eastsiders that will be coming to your perfect little world out west. WKU sure got a lot of them Eastsiders.

 

IMO, you don't have a clue.

 

The west is far from perfect, dude. So, for that matter, is the east.

 

And I may have more than a clue than you think. Take the time and find the thread where we picked the scores of the state championship games. Check out mine and note who predicted the biggest blowout in the 2A finals, then tell me I have no respect for Breathitt.

 

I'm just saying this. Two pretty good QBs (Schott and Wera) that had put up pretty good numbers against good competition, certainly better than the schedule Breathitt faced during the season, had poor games against Mayfield. There is a good reason for that.

 

No one, including me, doubts that Breathitt was a fine team, one of the better teams in the state. But if you insist on putting them at the head of the pack, you'll be on a thin limb.

I'd take the 2002 Mayfield squad over the 2002 Breathitt team. In ten games on a neutral field, I think Mayfield would win seven.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.