Trump saves a thousand jobs in Indiana

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What companies were ignored that weren't union affiliated? Last I saw all he did was continue the bailout that was started by George W. Bush and there were plenty of companies that were bailed out that weren't union affiliated. Plenty.

Delphi non union workers an affilate of GM. I believe a majority which were in Toledo , Ohio.

Forget the bailout on GM I have issues with. The thing that made me the most mad was the Obama adminstration ignroing the rule of law of the pecking order of creditors.

Delphi non union workers an affilate of GM. I believe a majority which were in Toledo , Ohio.

Forget the bailout on GM I have issues with. The thing that made me the most mad was the Obama adminstration ignroing the rule of law of the pecking order of creditors.

Fair enough.

This is very telling as to those from the Left that said, "I'll say good job when Trump does something good". I call bull feces. :lol2::lol2:

It also gives me a chuckle when people on the right talk about the left being sheep. You know, everything is great, don't worry about the fine print!

Obviously nobody wants 1000 people to lose their jobs, but look at the evidence. Without knowing any more, we either have one of two options or a combination of the two:

1) Crony capitalism - I thought this was a big part of the swamp (me included) that everyone else wanted drained.

2) State incentives - Who is in charge of the state of Indiana? Why did Pence let it get to this point?

We don't know if he threatened anyone.

And we never will know. Unless I am reading things wrong not much has changed from what Pence was offering less than a year ago. Also keep in mind that Trump stated publicly what he would do to Carrier if they didn't keep their jobs in America. Funny how after the election Carrier's tune changed and they are keeping the jobs here now because of expected changes in policy from the Trump administration(their words). And also keep in mind the billions of dollars that Carrier receives from the federal government. So no, we don't know if he threatened Carrier but they sure changed their minds as if someone put a bug in their ear.

It also gives me a chuckle when people on the right talk about the left being sheep. You know, everything is great, don't worry about the fine print!

Obviously nobody wants 1000 people to lose their jobs, but look at the evidence. Without knowing any more, we either have one of two options or a combination of the two:

1) Crony capitalism - I thought this was a big part of the swamp (me included) that everyone else wanted drained.

2) State incentives - Who is in charge of the state of Indiana? Why did Pence let it get to this point?

How do you suggest to keep jobs in this country or spur economic growth without a market that incentives it? The only way for an economy to grow is for government to get out of the way. Deregulation and allowing companies to keep more of their money.

I know regulations is the oxygen that makes the Democrat party grow but it is the single greatest threat job growth and a growing economy. So if what Trump did here was release some of that unneeded burden from government then I applaud it.

And we never will know. Unless I am reading things wrong not much has changed from what Pence was offering less than a year ago. Also keep in mind that Trump stated publicly what he would do to Carrier if they didn't keep their jobs in America. Funny how after the election Carrier's tune changed and they are keeping the jobs here now because of expected changes in policy from the Trump administration. And also keep in mind the billions of dollars that Carrier receives from the federal government. So no, we don't know if he threatened Carrier but they sure changed their minds as if someone put a bug in their ear.

I think when your negoiating it's a good business practice to have all your cards on the table. In every board room in America something similar takes place. If I were Trump I might simply say " If you don't care about American jobs , I don't see why Americans should reward you with a billions in contracts moving forward. I don't think he could cancel current contracts but if I'm a corporation I don't want to ruin negoiations for future contracts. That's taking the board room into the oval office . Finding leverage is important in all forms of negoiations.

So you have proof this is what it was?

Or is this just your speculation?

Speculation. I wasn't in the meetings and I have zero proof. It is easy to see if you read the fine print. I have plenty of experience in negotiations with a business to know exactly how things go down in sidebars. The sidebars are where all the action happens.

Do you honestly believe that Carrier had a change of heart with zero incentive less than a month after Trump was elected? You don't just up and decide to keep 1,000 jobs because of a change of heart. Big business doesn't work like that.

I think when your negoiating it's a good business practice to have all your cards on the table. In every board room in America something similar takes place. If I were Trump I might simply say " If you don't care about American jobs , I don't see why Americans should reward you with a billions in contracts moving forward. I don't think he could cancel current contracts but if I'm a corporation I don't want to ruin negoiations for future contracts. That's taking the board room into the oval office . Finding leverage is important in all forms of negoiations.

When 3.6B is on the line you don't think that is a threat?

How do you suggest to keep jobs in this country or spur economic growth without a market that incentives it? The only way for an economy to grow is for government to get out of the way. Deregulation and allowing companies to keep more of their money.

I know regulations is the oxygen that makes the Democrat party grow but it is the single greatest threat job growth and a growing economy. So if what Trump did here was release some of that unneeded burden from government then I applaud it.

I think the issue is he (possibly) gave incentives to one specific company that did him a favor. Were Carrier's competitors given similar deals?

That's the crony capitalism Bipsic mentioned. You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours.

When 3.6B is on the line you don't think that is a threat?

I don't know the rule of law. But I'm guessing you can't just cancel current contracts without cause. If I had to guess he used the possibility of future contracts as leverage. The parent company of Carrier has been a Federal contractor for years. They don't want to mess with that revenue stream. It's all in the eye of the beholder I guess. I call it good business , leverage during negoiations. Whoever has the better hand can call the others bluff.

For example the situation at your company in 2014. It was a smart business move by you not to call your companies bluff because you realized they had a better hand and less to lose. I don't know the situation but there is a chance they were bluffing about Korea. But you figured out the risk/reward wasn't on the unions side so you took the deal.

This is just another version of a negoiation like that.