A Totally Reasonable Playoff Proposal

gchs_uk9

Here is how they do it in Northern California where my alma mater (Monte Vista) got the screw job this weekend. A committee of 6 people from the governing body (North Coast Section) select different class divisions of competitors based upon the regular season body of work, strength of schedule, school size, and computer rankings. You can win your playoffs but not play for a title. The NCS Open Champ then gets to play the Open Champs from other parts of California for a true state title.NCS football playoffs: De La Salle top seed in Open – East Bay Times

Was NOT that way when I was there. We beat De La Salle for the NCS 3A title in 1987 and were quite content with that.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no reason this couldn't happen by next year and I would push whoever to make it happen. Great proposal. Would breath new life into a broken 6 class system.

With schedules already made for the next two-year cycle, implementing before the 2019 season would probably be unrealistic. But I have been impressed with the number of people who think this would be a positive for Kentucky football.

With schedules already made for the next two-year cycle, implementing before the 2019 season would probably be unrealistic. But I have been impressed with the number of people who think this would be a positive for Kentucky football.

Anything is possible. I would venture to say most teams already have at least one of their new district teams scheduled anyway. Everyone should flood the KHSAA with this proposal.

I watch Illinois go through this process each year. They hold a bracket show on TV, the night after the season ends, much like the selection show for March Madness. I've always wondered how these teams are seeded in their bracket, they never take the time to explain. Do we know if CalPreps is the preferred method of calculating playoff teams in other states? Lord help us if we have to use the in state methods such Lit or Cantrall.

I watch Illinois go through this process each year. They hold a bracket show on TV' date=' the night after the season ends, much like the selection show for March Madness. I've always wondered how these teams are seeded in their bracket, they never take the time to explain. Do we know if CalPreps is the preferred method of calculating playoff teams in other states? Lord help us if we have to use the in state methods such Lit or Cantrall.[/quote']

Calpreps IMO would be the way to go without question. Those guys there are all over it.

Love it GCHS_uk9. I like the 24 team format per class with the bye! You can element the in season byes that way? Also I heard some one say about the private schools classification each year, well I know some states give teams classification points by how well they did on the playoffs the year before. a point for each round won, and -1 point for each loss. The state champion moves up automatically except big schools obviously. If a team reaches 6 points total in back to back years, they move up a class the next year! They can fall back down once they lose points

I watch Illinois go through this process each year. They hold a bracket show on TV' date=' the night after the season ends, much like the selection show for March Madness. I've always wondered how these teams are seeded in their bracket, they never take the time to explain. Do we know if CalPreps is the preferred method of calculating playoff teams in other states? Lord help us if we have to use the in state methods such Lit or Cantrall.[/quote']

The number of wins is the main criterion for ranking. Then, all 9-0 or other similarly situated records are ranked by Playoff Points, which is basically one point for every opponent's win. In Illinois, teams play in conferences of various sized schools. The conference champion gets an automatic bid and all 6 win teams get an automatic bid and then they use playoff points of 5-4 records to fill out the filed. There have been 5-4 regular season state champions.

I love this District idea where it isn't tied to classifications...

Love it all, except the only thing I would even dare to suggest a change is incorporating the neutral field sites for the Semi's at the very least (maybe even the Region Finals).

Regional Finals I could get on board with under the pre-tense that it would force teams to have to "schedule up" to improve their CPU ranking and reward as such, but at the same time not sure I want to trust such a valuable game for two teams who have won their way to that point based solely on what a CPU spits out,

Semi-Finals I absolutely think should be hosted at a neutral site venue. With the Regional Finals and seeding at least there is some logic over who gets what may be a significant advantage and they have some control over it, when it comes to letting the year determine that I am not a fan though. Even in Semi-Final settings you may be looking at 4 hour bus trips to go play football.

At the very least I would like to see a KHSAA approved neutral site venue for the Semi's... potentially capable of hosting multiple games... where that homefield advantage is minimized a good bit and it becomes a better measure of simply "who is better"

We change this and I will sign up to be a lobbyist for this plan.